World Cup winner Schurrle retires at 29

By Sports Desk July 17, 2020

World Cup winner Andre Schurrle has confirmed his retirement at the age of just 29.

Earlier this week the forward's contract at Borussia Dortmund was terminated a year early, Schurrle having made 33 Bundesliga appearances across two seasons for the club before spending campaigns on loan at Fulham and Spartak Moscow.

Now he has confirmed he is stepping away from the sport for good.

Alongside an Instagram picture of him lifting the World Cup with Germany in 2014, Schurrle wrote: "I want to let you know that I'm stepping away from playing professional football !!

"On behalf of myself and my family I want to thank everybody who was a part of these phenomenal years! The support and love you shared with me was unbelievable and more than I could have ever asked for!

"Now I'm ready and open for all the beautiful possibilities that are coming towards me"

It was Schurrle who delivered the cross from which Mario Gotze scored the extra-time winner in the 2014 World Cup final against Argentina.

He won 57 caps for his country, scoring 22 times, and played for Bayer Leverkusen, Chelsea and Wolfsburg prior to joining Dortmund in 2016.

However, in an interview with Der Spiegel he explained he had now fallen out of love with the game.

"The decision matured in me for a long time," Schurrle said.

"The depths became deeper and the highlights less and less."

Related items

  • Dortmund excited to keep Man Utd target Sancho for at least one more year - Reus Dortmund excited to keep Man Utd target Sancho for at least one more year - Reus

    Marco Reus is excited Jadon Sancho will remain at Borussia Dortmund for "at least one more year", with Manchester United seemingly destined to be frustrated in their pursuit of the England forward.

    United's interest in taking Sancho to Old Trafford has been no secret, but Dortmund have been steadfast in their refusal to sell him for anything under their reported €120million (£108m) asking price.

    Sancho is under contract until 2023 and Reus is delighted at the prospect of another campaign alongisde the former Manchester City youth player at Signal Iduna Park.

    "For us it's great. We were all excited that he will stay at least one more year," Dortmund captain Reus told reporters. "Simply because he keeps on delivering goals and assists via which we will collect a lot of points."

    Reus does not yet know the extent of Sancho's potential and is unwilling to say whether he has the promise to perform at the level of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

    "He's a crucial player for us and if he one day will be as big a player as the other two [Ronaldo and Messi] we will see.

    "He simply needs time, a lot of experience, and there will be times where everything's not going that well and one will see how he will get through that.

    "But I think he has got the necessary confidence and quality to succeed."

    Dortmund face Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup on Wednesday, having suffered a surprise 2-0 defeat to Augsburg in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

    Sancho was extremely influential as Dortmund finished second in the Bundesliga last season.

    His 17 league goals trailed only Robert Lewandowski (34) and Timo Werner (28). Thomas Muller (21) was the lone player to have more assists than Sancho's 16 in the Bundesliga in 2019-20.

  • Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns

    Hansi Flick suggested Michael Cuisance and Javi Martinez could yet stay at Bayern Munich as he made it clear he wants a strong squad for 2020-21.

    Cuisance has been linked with Leeds United, having started only three games in the Bundesliga since joining from Borussia Monchengladbach last year.

    Martinez, 32, has been tipped to move back to Athletic Bilbao following eight hugely successful years in Germany.

    However, head coach Flick appears happy to keep both players in his plans in order to give Bayern the best chance possible of competing on all fronts again this season.

    They have brought in Alexander Nubel, teenager Tanguy Nianzou and Germany star Leroy Sane in the transfer window, but the latter will be out until after the next international break with a knee injury.

    With David Alaba also struggling and the fixture list piling up – Bayern face Borussia Dortmund in the DFL-Supercup on Wednesday and Hertha Berlin in the league on Sunday – Flick wants as many options as possible.

    "We last saw each other yesterday. We have no new information since Thursday. As long as he's in my team, I'll plan with him as well. Javi has done a lot for the club," he told reporters of Martinez on Tuesday.

    "Both [Cuisance and Martinez] trained today, so I assume both will be in the squad tomorrow. We all know that, shortly before the transfer window closes, the situation is not easy.

    "Hasan [Salihamidzic, sporting director] and I agree: the new season will not only be difficult for Bayern. We have until October 5. For now, the fact is that Mika and Javi are still in the squad. They are part of our team.

    "One thing is also clear: we want to win trophies and games. The fact we lost to Hoffenheim is very far from my thoughts. But if we want to achieve objectives, we have to have a squad available.

    "On October 15, we play in the DFB-Pokal; on October 17, we play in the Bundesliga. Before that, there are international matches. I didn't create those dates – you have to think about whether that makes sense."

  • Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return

    Eden Hazard is "very close" to a return to full fitness as Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane refuted suggestions the forward lacked professionalism. 

    The Belgium star has struggled to find his rhythm in Spain following his initial €100million switch from Chelsea in June last year.

    He managed a solitary goal in his debut season at the Santiago Bernabeu as he battled to regain top condition after undergoing surgery on a broken right foot.

    Zidane hinted that Hazard is primed for action for the first time this season, though stopped short of confirming his spot in the team for Wednesday's clash with Real Valladolid.

    "I think he's very close to a return," said Zidane. "He is prepared and training well with the team.

    "The issue is that he hasn't been able to train much until now, but now he is back training regularly. So, we'll see what happens.

    "What he wants is to play. He had a big problem that caused him issues for a long time, but now it seems like he is fine.

    "The season is very long and he is a professional. He does not lack professionalism. What he wants is to be with his team-mates and to play."

    Asked if he was looking to add to his squad in what remains of the transfer window, Zidane pointed out the difficulties he already faces in picking the LaLiga champions' strongest XI.

    Vinicius Junior is one player who is having to contend with being on the periphery, although Zidane insists he is content with the winger.

    "I'm very happy with the squad that I have," he said. "Adding more players would not be ideal.

    "I'm already struggling to choose between the players that I have. I have the best squad.

    "I'm very happy with Vinicius. He wants to play like every player, I pick my starting line-up every match, and of course I count on Vinicius, he is a great player."

    Zidane's side responded to their opening-game draw with Real Sociedad by winning 3-2 at Real Betis last time out. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.