Mourinho: Man City CAS appeal victory a 'disgraceful decision' and the end of FFP

By Sports Desk July 14, 2020

Jose Mourinho blasted the decision to overturn Manchester City's ban from the Champions League as "disgraceful", and one that will mark the end of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

City were banned from UEFA competitions for the next two seasons and fined €30million having been accused of committing "serious breaches" of UEFA's club licensing and FFP regulations.

The Premier League club consistently denied wrongdoing and appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which on Monday ruled in their favour.

City must now only pay a fine of €10million for failure to assist UEFA adequately in its investigations.

At his pre-match media conference ahead of Tottenham's league clash with Newcastle United, Spurs boss Mourinho said: "It's a disgraceful decision.

"Because if Man City are not guilty, I think to be punished with millions is a disgrace. If you are not guilty, you are not punished.

"If they are guilty, they should be banned. In any case, the decision is a disaster.

"If you are not guilty, you should not pay. I am not saying Man City is not guilty.

"I know money for them is easy, but it's a principle. Even a pound. Why are you paying eight, nine million? It is a disgrace.

"My criticism is not to Man City; I am not to know if they are guilty. My criticism is towards those in power.

"Maybe they are unlucky because they don't deserve to be punished."

Asked if the decision spelled the end for FPP, Mourinho replied: "Yes."

Spurs, having lost their last-16 tie to RB Leipzig this season, look set to miss out on qualification for next season's Champions League. They trail fourth-place Leicester City by seven points with three games to go.

Related items

  • Flick 'totally understands' why Thiago may want Premier League move Flick 'totally understands' why Thiago may want Premier League move

    Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick says he can "totally understand" why reported Liverpool target Thiago Alcantara would want a move to the Premier League.

    Thiago is out of contract next year and Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge last month confirmed the midfielder will leave the Bundesliga champions.

    Liverpool are said to be eager to sign the former Barcelona man, while Paris Saint-Germain have also been linked with the Spain international.

    Bayern boss Flick suggested a switch to England is more likely for the 29-year-old and expressed his disappointment that he wants to depart.

    Flick told Sport1: "I can understand when a player is concerned.

    "Thiago played in Spain for FC Barcelona and in the Bundesliga for FC Bayern Munich.

    "If he wants to try again in the Premier League now, I totally understand. But it would be a shame because Thiago gives our game that certain something.

    "That's why I would like, as a coach, to have him on the team for the next few years, but that's life. It would go on."

    Thiago has claimed seven successive Bundesliga crowns, four DFB-Pokal titles, two DFL-Supercup honours and the Club World Cup trophy since arriving from Barca in 2013.

    Bayern face Chelsea in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Saturday and hold a 3-0 lead from the first encounter at Stamford Bridge.

  • Monaco sign Reims defender Disasi Monaco sign Reims defender Disasi

    Monaco have signed defender Axel Disasi from Reims on a five-year deal.

    The 22-year-old had been linked with a number of clubs across Europe but opted to remain in Ligue 1.

    Monaco finished below Reims in the truncated league campaign but Disasi has no doubt he is taking a step up in joining Niko Kovac's side.

    "I'm delighted to be involved with AS Monaco," he told the club's official website.

    "This is a great opportunity for me to demonstrate my qualities at the highest level and to continue my progress at a club with high ambitions.

    "I'm looking forward to starting training with my new team-mates and I'm going to put all my energy into helping the team achieve its goals at the end of the season."

  • Fred issues Man Utd Europa League warning Fred issues Man Utd Europa League warning

    Manchester United have no margin for error in the revised Europa League format, Fred has warned.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side beat LASK 2-1 on Wednesday to wrap up a 7-1 aggregate triumph and reach the quarter-finals.

    The impact of the coronavirus on the competition's schedule means ties will be settled in one-off matches, all played in Germany, with United facing Copenhagen on Monday.

    Should they prevail, the 2016-17 tournament winners would face either Premier League rivals Wolves or LaLiga side Sevilla.

    "There are two important games, and a single match in the final. You have to make sure you're highly prepared, you can't make mistakes," Fred told United Review.

    "In league football you still have the chance to recover, you make a mistake and lose the game you can still recover later in the competition.

    "In tournaments if you lose a game by a certain margin of goals it's difficult to come back. So you need to concentrate even more. I think that is what’s most important for us. That will be the biggest test."

    If United do reach the final on August 21, it would mean playing 15 games in 63 days since their campaign resumed on June 19.

    But Fred is not worried about fatigue as he feels the squad are conditioned to such challenges.

    "We've got used to these games coming one after an another during the intense fixture calendar in June and July," the midfielder said.

    "So we're kind of used to it and I think it could be an advantage when playing games that are a few days apart, like they will be in Germany.

    "I think it will be an advantage for us in the Europa League tournament format – I'm certain we'll be ready."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.