Man City and UEFA: All you need to know about the CAS case and Champions League ban

By Sports Desk July 13, 2020

Manchester City will learn their Champions League future on Monday when the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) rules on their appeal against a two-year ban from UEFA competitions.

European football's governing body announced the sanction in February, along with a €30million (£27.2m) fine, after finding City guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

City swiftly announced their intention to appeal to CAS and that case was heard over the course of three days from June 8 via video conference.

Pep Guardiola's team have already secured a top-four place in the Premier League this season, and could add the FA Cup and the Champions League to the already-retained EFL Cup.

However, Monday's verdict is likely to have far-reaching ramifications for the club's short and medium-term future.

WHAT WERE CITY FOUND GUILTY OF?

The independent Adjudicatory Chamber of UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) found City had "committed serious breaches" of FFP rules "by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016".

UEFA launched its investigation after a series of articles published by Der Spiegel in November 2018 alleged City had artificially inflated income from sponsors linked to the club's Abu Dhabi ownership. The governing body also stated City "failed to cooperate in the investigation of this case by the CFCB".

WHAT WAS THE CLUB'S RESPONSE TO THE BAN?

Emphatic and bullish. City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the punishment that emerged from a "prejudicial process" and welcomed the prospect of CAS considering a "comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence" in support of their case.

IS THIS THE FIRST TIME CITY HAVE GONE TO CAS?

No. The Premier League club tried to have UEFA's investigation thrown out, citing concerns over media reports on developments in the case, citing sources close to it.

In November last year, CAS ruled City's appeal was "inadmissible" because all legal avenues had not yet been pursued. However, the court said the concerns expressed were not without merit and described the alleged leaks from UEFA's end as "worrisome".

HAVE UEFA PUNISHED CITY UNDER FFP BEFORE

Yes. In May 2014, they were fined €60m for FFP breaches, with their transfer spending capped to the same amount for the 2014-15 season, during which then-manager Manuel Pellegrini had to operate with a reduced 21-man Champions League squad.

WHAT DO CITY STAND TO LOSE FINANCIALLY?

A conservative estimate lands somewhere in excess of £170m when considering broadcast payments alone, while drops in matchday revenue and potential reductions in sponsorship income could push the figure towards £200m.

WHO WILL QUALIFY FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IF CITY ARE BANNED?

The qualification position will drop down to the team who finish fifth in the table – a spot currently occupied by Manchester United.

COULD CITY ALSO BE PUNISHED BY THE PREMIER LEAGUE?

Yes. The Premier League's profit and sustainability rules are basically a more lenient version of FFP, allowing losses of up to £105m over three seasons. If UEFA's findings against City are upheld, their losses might be shown to be excess of this.

A more pressing concern might be section J.7 of the Premier League handbook, which states any team found to have provided a "false statement" with regards to applications to take part in UEFA competitions is liable for punishment. A fine or a points deduction would be among the options on the table.

CAN CITY APPEAL AGAIN IF CAS UPHOLD UEFA'S RULING?

Yes, to the Swiss Federal Tribunal, although the chances of overturning the punishment would be very slim by that stage and rely upon proving a procedural error on the part of CAS.

Related items

  • Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test

    Jean-Clair Todibo is the Barcelona player who has tested positive for coronavirus, the defender revealed on social media.

    Earlier on Wednesday, the Blaugrana revealed one of their nine players in pre-season training had returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The group - mainly consisting of fringe players - had been kept separate from the first team ahead of their Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich, meaning that match was not impacted.

    Although Barca did not confirm the identity of the coronavirus case, Todibo took to Twitter to inform supporters of his diagnosis.

    "Hello everyone," he wrote. "I inform you that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am asymptomatic and I feel fine.

    "I am at home following the proper health protocol. I really want to go back to training, but now it's time to stay home until the virus is over.

    "Thank you all for the support, and encouragement to all the people who are also experiencing it closely."

    Todibo joined Barca from Toulouse in January 2019 but has since made just five appearances for the club in all competitions.

    The 20-year-old spent the second half of the 2019-20 season on loan at Schalke but again struggled to secure regular minutes, making only four Bundesliga starts.

  • Ex-coach Genesio: Lyon must use our Man City win and believe Ex-coach Genesio: Lyon must use our Man City win and believe

    Bruno Genesio believes Lyon can knock Manchester City out of the Champions League if they use the win during his tenure as inspiration.

    In last season's competition, Lyon stunned City with a 2-1 success at the Etihad Stadium in the opening round of the group stage before later earning a 2-2 draw at home.

    Now, under Rudi Garcia, the Ligue 1 side face Pep Guardiola's men again in the quarter-finals in Lisbon.

    Genesio was reluctant to take credit for the previous triumph and insisted it could be repeated, pointing to a number of players who remain from that match.

    "They have to use that success at Manchester City because a lot of them were in this game," the Beijing Guoan coach told L'Equipe.

    "Maxwell Cornet, Memphis Depay, Houssem Aouar, Anthony Lopes, Marcelo, Jason Denayer...they did it.

    "In this context, only one match and behind closed doors, the weaker team has an advantage. They must believe in it.

    "But you must not be afraid to take risks, otherwise you are dead because you have to get out of their pressing.

    "That victory was not mine. It was that of everyone, the staff, a president who was behind us and, obviously, the players first. It was a real collective happiness, joy because nobody imagined that possible.

    "I was criticised at the time and it was a small collective revenge, yes. I used the criticisms to motivate my players. Rudi Garcia maybe did that also against Juventus [in the last 16], by the way.

    "It proves that, in football, you have to believe that anything is possible."

  • Barcelona confirm positive COVID-19 test among pre-season starters Barcelona confirm positive COVID-19 test among pre-season starters

    Barcelona have revealed one of their nine players in pre-season training has tested positive for coronavirus.

    While the Blaugrana's first-team stars, including Lionel Messi, are preparing to face Bayern Munich in the Champions League, a separate group has started preparations for next season.

    New arrival Matheus Fernandes is joined by Jean-Clair Todibo, Moussa Wague, Carles Alena, Rafinha, Juan Miranda and Oriol Busquets, along with Pedri and Francisco Trincao, who have been linked with Bayern and Leicester City respectively.

    Barca did not reveal the identity of the player but said one individual had returned a positive COVID-19 test. He is asymptomatic.

    The confirmed case will not impact the Bayern quarter-final, however.

    Barca's statement added: "The player has not been in contact with any of the senior team players who are scheduled to travel to Lisbon this Thursday to compete in the Champions League."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.