EPL

Liverpool youngster Elliott pens professional deal

By Sports Desk July 06, 2020

Harvey Elliott has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool.

The youngster signed for Liverpool from Fulham in 2019, making eight first-team appearances so far this season, though he was not eligible to sign a professional deal until he turned 17 in April.

Elliott made his senior debut in an EFL Cup tie with MK Dons in September, making him the club's second-youngest debutant.

"I think since the first day I've walked in, it's been an indescribable journey so far," Elliott told Liverpool's official website.

"I think now to top it off with my first professional contract is a dream come true for me and my family.

"I'm excited to see what the future holds and I'm just excited to give everything to the club and the fans."

Manager Jurgen Klopp is looking forward to Elliott showing his full potential over the coming seasons, with Liverpool the perfect place for him to develop.

"Brilliant news – really happy," Klopp told the club's website. "Harvey is such an exciting prospect. We all know his qualities – we have seen them this season in the first team and Under-23s.

"I love his attitude, love his enthusiasm, love his bravery, love the fact he has the right amount of football confidence and cheekiness.

"I think the public maybe doesn't know the real Harvey yet and part of that is because we have looked to shield and protect him.

"What is critical – so important – is that he is given time and space to develop. He will get that from us. He needs to be allowed to make mistakes while he learns and not feel more pressure than is right and fair.

"He is young and he is in the early stages of his development still. What is great is that he has the perfect culture here and we will protect him.

"The senior players and the coaches really care about him and are as excited as I am about his future. So, we will all be part of his story as it unfolds."

Elliott's deal follows on the back of a new contract for Curtis Jones, who scored his first Premier League goal in the champions' 2-0 win over Aston Villa on Sunday.

Related items

  • De Ligt facing three months out after Juventus defender undergoes shoulder surgery De Ligt facing three months out after Juventus defender undergoes shoulder surgery

    Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt is facing three months out after undergoing shoulder surgery.

    The Netherlands centre-back has had persistent problems with his right shoulder after suffering a dislocation last year.

    Juve confirmed on Wednesday that the 21-year-old had stabilisation surgery in Rome and the operation was "a complete success".

    He is not likely to be fully fit to return until November.

    There is not yet an official start date for the 2020-21 Serie A season but the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has previously stated it hopes the campaign can begin on September 1.

    De Ligt made 39 appearances in all competitions in his first season for Juve since joining from Ajax for an initial €75million fee last year.

    Juve won the Scudetto for the ninth time in a row but were beaten by Napoli on penalties in the Coppa Italia final and were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals at the last-16 stage by Lyon.

    Head coach Maurizio Sarri was sacked the day after that European exit and replaced by Under-23s boss and former midfielder Andrea Pirlo.

  • Former Juventus and Arsenal defender Lichtsteiner retires from football Former Juventus and Arsenal defender Lichtsteiner retires from football

    Former Juventus and Arsenal defender Stephan Lichtsteiner has retired from football.

    The 36-year-old had planned to play for Switzerland at the Euro 2020 finals before calling time on his career, but with the coronavirus pandemic forcing the tournament to be postponed to 2021, he has chosen not to continue playing for another year.

    Lichtsteiner had spent the 2019-20 season with Augsburg, making 20 appearances in the Bundesliga as Heiko Herrlich's side finished 15th.

    "The plan would have been to retire after the European Championship in 2020," Lichtsteiner, who was Switzerland captain, said in an interview published by the Swiss Football Association.

    "After UEFA's decision to postpone the European Championship to 2021, it became clear to me that the time had come and I didn't want to add another year.

    "The length of a footballer's career is limited. I was allowed to play at a high level until I was 36. Now, it's time to take a new path. It was a cool time that I really enjoyed."

    Lichtsteiner earned 108 senior caps for Switzerland and competed at five major tournaments: Euro 2008, co-hosted by Switzerland and Austria, the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, and Euro 2016 and the 2018 World Cup, at which he was captain under Vladimir Petkovic.

    "Every tournament was an incredible event," he said. "I always felt a tingling feeling. It was a shame we narrowly missed out on the quarter-finals in the last three tournaments, which were of a high level.

    "If you're able to play more than 100 international matches, that makes you proud. Every single game was an honour. And each one felt like it was the first, in terms of nervousness!"

    Lichtsteiner's most successful spell came in his seven years with Juventus, where he won seven Serie A titles in a row, lifted the Coppa Italia four times and twice reached the Champions League final.

    "We were able to build a generation of winners and won 14 trophies in seven years. That was definitely the most formative and successful phase of my career. The downside were those two lost Champions League finals," he said.

    Lichtsteiner, who spent 2018-19 with Arsenal, is now planning for a career in coaching but is also considering a future "in the economic sector".

    "I am open and currently being inspired by various things," he said.

  • Valencia captain Parejo joins rivals Villarreal Valencia captain Parejo joins rivals Villarreal

    Dani Parejo has joined Villarreal on a four-year contract, leaving rivals Valencia where he was captain.

    The transfer became the second between the two clubs to go through on Wednesday, with Parejo following Francis Coquelin to El Madrigal - reportedly for a cut-price combined fee of just €13million.

    Valencia have already sold Ferran Torres to Manchester City in recent weeks and pressure appears to be building on owner Peter Lim.

    Club great Santiago Canizares questioned "the sale of your two best midfielders", with new head coach Javi Gracia yet to take charge of a competitive fixture.

    Parejo played 383 times for Valencia since signing from Getafe in 2011 and had spoken of wanting to retire at the club despite reports of his looming departure.

    However, Torres, following his move to City, said Parejo "wasn't a good captain with me".

    "He's a great player but I never had a relationship with him," winger Torres said of the 31-year-old.

    Valencia released a short statement as Parejo's departure was confirmed, thanking the player for "all his effort and commitment", echoing the response to Coquelin's move.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.