Joao Felix out of Atletico's trip to Celta with ankle injury

By Sports Desk July 06, 2020

Joao Felix has been ruled out of Atletico Madrid's LaLiga game against Celta Vigo on Tuesday due to an ankle injury.

Portugal forward Joao Felix was substituted in the 54th minute of Atletico's 3-0 victory over Real Mallorca on Friday

Tests carried out on Sunday revealed the 20-year-old has suffered "a traumatic bone edema in the ankle", the club said in a statement on Monday.

Although it was confirmed Joao Felix will miss the trip to Balaidos to face Celta, Atleti did not provide a time frame for his recovery.

Joao Felix has struggled to live up to expectations in his first season with Atleti, who shelled out €126million to sign him from Benfica last year.

He has scored eight goals and supplied three assists in 34 appearances in all competitions.

The attacker has already missed 10 games due to two separate injuries this term and one more through suspension.

Related items

  • Bayer Leverkusen sign Arias from Atletico Madrid on initial loan deal Bayer Leverkusen sign Arias from Atletico Madrid on initial loan deal

    Bayer Leverkusen have signed right-back Santiago Arias from Atletico Madrid on an initial loan with the option of a permanent deal at the end of the campaign.

    The 28-year-old struggled for playing time in his second season at Atletico, featuring in 18 matches in all competitions in 2019-20.

    Leverkusen, who have sold Kai Havertz and Kevin Volland to Chelsea and Monaco respectively this transfer window, must reportedly pay €12million to sign Arias permanently.

    He becomes the German club's second signing of the window following the addition of Patrick Schick from Roma on a permanent deal earlier this month.

    Arias' arrival was confirmed on Leverkusen's official website on Thursday and the club's sporting director Rudi Voller said: "We have signed a very experienced player who can quickly get up to speed to help us.

    "Given the high amount of games in the coming weeks, it was important for us to strengthen our team."

    Colombia international Arias, who made 51 appearances for Atletico in all competitions after joining from PSV in 2018, is relishing his new challenge in the Bundesliga.

    "This is a great opportunity after two great and successful years in Madrid," he said. "Leverkusen are one of the best clubs in the Bundesliga with a very good reputation in Spain. 

    "With Atletico in the Champions League, I saw for myself how football is played here."

    Arias had also been linked with Roma and Everton. His departure from Atleti follows Alvaro Morata's move to Juventus, while Luis Suarez was signed from Barcelona on Wednesday.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • In Sancho's footsteps – Bynoe-Gittens swaps Man City for Borussia Dortmund In Sancho's footsteps – Bynoe-Gittens swaps Man City for Borussia Dortmund

    Borussia Dortmund have signed 16-year-old forward Jamie Bynoe-Gittens from Manchester City on a long-term contract.

    Sporting director Michael Zorc confirmed the arrival of the City academy player, who has been capped by England at Under-17 level, during a media conference on Thursday.

    Bynoe-Gittens follows in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho, who was 17 when he left the Premier League giants for Dortmund in 2017.

    Sancho departed City for a clearer path to first-team football and has become of the hottest properties in Europe after scoring 30 goals and setting up another 35 in 79 Bundesliga appearances.

    "Jamie Bynoe-Gittens has joined us, and we are delighted to have him at in our youth set-up. He will initially play with the Under-19s," said Zorc.

    "Our scouting department have done a fantastic job! He is a highly talented wide player, who will get the chance to develop at his own pace in our youth teams.

    "We don't want expectations to be raised too high right from the start.

    "He is still a year younger than Jadon was then … the hope is that at some point he will be promoted to the professional team."

    Bynoe-Gittens becomes the third Englishman in Dortmund's ranks, alongside Sancho and 17-year-old playmaker Jude Bellingham.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.