Setien admits Celta draw leaves Barca with 'little margin for error'

By Sports Desk June 27, 2020

Quique Setien felt Barcelona lacked a cutting edge, as well as a bit of luck, following the 2-2 draw at Celta Vigo - leaving them with "little margin for error" in the LaLiga title race.

Luis Suarez scored a brace but Barca were twice unable to hold onto a lead on Saturday, despite dominating for long periods of the game. 

They were impressive in the first half in particular, youngster Riqui Puig catching the eye on his first league start of the season, but only led 1-0 at the break. 

Setien felt the performance in the first 45 minutes deserved more with Barca denied by the woodwork when a Gerard Pique header hit the crossbar prior to Suarez's opener in the 20th minute.

"They took a lot of risks in the last few minutes and they found a goal that gave them a point," Setien told the media. 

"We should not have got into that situation because we were much the better team in the first half.  We had to have gone in at the break with a more comfortable scoreline. 

"We're not in that moment of clarity. 

"We did a lot of things well. It should have been a more comfortable game. 

"We definitely lack conviction to turn our play into goals. The superiority we had in the first half was enough to have won the match and gone into [the second] more relaxed. 

"We're finding it difficult. Scoring is sometimes a question of luck." 

Iago Aspas' late free-kick denied Barcelona victory on the road. While the point picked up is enough to take them top for now, Real Madrid have the opportunity to leapfrog them when they face Espanyol on Saturday.

Zinedine Zidane's squad also have the added cushion of owning the better head-to-head record against their rivals this season.

Setien acknowledges that Barca may now require help from others if they are to retain their crown in Spain.

"We've got little margin for error now and, in theory, we have to win all our games and hope our rival slips up," he admitted. "We'll try to keep picking up maximum points."

Next up for Setien and his players is Atletico Madrid at Camp Nou on Tuesday.

Related items

  • Bartomeu on Messi: I couldn't let the best player in the world go Bartomeu on Messi: I couldn't let the best player in the world go

    Josep Maria Bartomeu insisted he had no interest in continuing a public spat with Lionel Messi despite the Barcelona captain's criticism of his presidency.

    Messi stunned the world last month when he informed Barca of his intention to depart the LaLiga giants, with the 33-year-old intending to trigger a clause in his contract to walk away on a free at the end of last season.

    However, the validity of such a stipulation was murky due to the campaign being extended by the coronavirus pandemic, and Messi ultimately opted to remain in Catalonia rather than challenge Barcelona in a legal battle.

    That did not prevent him from taking aim at Bartomeu in an interview with Goal, though, as he accused the president of reneging on his wish to leave and presiding over a club that had "no project or anything for a long time".

    "As president, I will not enter into any conflict with Messi," Bartomeu told TV3.

    "Messi is our captain, our leader. The issue is parked. What has been said has been said.

    "I couldn't allow to let the best player in the world go. The team needs him, he guarantees success. Things have to be discussed at home. You have to support the team and the players.

    "We have to congratulate ourselves that Messi is still with us. He is excited about [coach Ronald] Koeman's project. The important thing is he plays for Barca, at his home. We want him to retire at the club."

    Messi's contract expires at the end of the 2020-21 season anyway, though by that point Barcelona will have a different president as there are elections to replace Bartomeu next March.

    However, Bartomeu, unpopular with some Barcelona fans due to his role in the Messi saga, may be forced out before then if he faces a vote of no confidence on the back of a motion to remove him, which has so far gathered more than 20,000 votes.

    "Right now, no-one is considering resigning," Bartomeu added.

    "The club is not going to stop. I think everyone was surprised by the number of signatures but we respect democracy and the club's laws."

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool and Wolves could be set for another deal, Arsenal's shortlist includes four Rumour Has It: Liverpool and Wolves could be set for another deal, Arsenal's shortlist includes four

    Liverpool and Wolves could be involved in another deal, while Arsenal's shortlist reportedly includes four players.

    Premier League champions Liverpool confirmed the signing of Diogo Jota from Wolves on Saturday, with Ki-Jana Hoever heading in the opposite direction.

    But the business between the clubs may not end there.

     

    TOP STORY – WOLVES TARGET OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

    Wolves are eyeing a move for Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, according to the Mirror.

    The report comes after Liverpool signed star midfielder Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich earlier this week.

    Oxlade-Chamberlain arrived at Anfield from Arsenal in 2017, and made 43 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    ROUND-UP

    - Arsenal could strengthen further. The Express reports the Premier League club have Lyon star Houssem Aouar, Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey, Dijon goalkeeper Runar Alex Runarsson and Brentford shot-stopper David Raya on their shortlist.

    - Staying in the Premier League and Goal reports Atletico Madrid attacker Thomas Lemar has interest from two clubs in England's top flight. Arsenal, Wolves and Everton have been linked with Lemar previously.

    - Manchester City are reportedly close to signing a centre-back. AS reports the Premier League giants are close to sealing a deal for Sevilla's Jules Kounde, a 21-year-old who is a France youth international.

    - Arturo Vidal is finally set to get his move to Inter. Fabrizio Romano reports Inter have agreed a €1million fee with Barcelona for the midfielder, while he also says veteran defender Diego Godin will join Cagliari next week.

    - After almost signing Daniel James in 2019, Leeds United could be set for another move for the attacker. The Sun reports Leeds are planning a move for James, who joined Manchester United in 2019.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and another exit is expected. The Sun says the Red Devils are looking for a new club for Sergio Romero with the goalkeeper upset about missing last month's Europa League semi-final loss to Sevilla.

  • Arsenal not in contract talks with Lacazette – Arteta Arsenal not in contract talks with Lacazette – Arteta

    Arsenal are yet to begin contract talks with Alexandre Lacazette, manager Mikel Arteta confirmed.

    Lacazette is contracted at the Premier League club until 2022, but there has been speculation over the forward's future.

    The Frenchman scored his 50th goal for Arsenal during Saturday's 2-1 win over West Ham at Emirates Stadium.

    But there have been no talks for the 29-year-old to renew his deal at Arsenal, Arteta later confirmed.

    "At the moment, we haven't started any negotiations," he said.

    "We have a lot of things still to do in this market and at the moment we are focusing on those things."

    Arteta said he was pleased with Lacazette, who arrived at the club from Lyon in 2017.

    "He's a player I'm really happy with. I think we've shown him a lot of faith since I arrived here," he said.

    "But we cannot start any speculation. We know that any player who is under two years of their contract is always going to be talked about."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.