EPL

Van Ginkel signs new Chelsea deal... seven years after last Blues appearance

By Sports Desk June 26, 2020

Marco van Ginkel has signed a new one-year contract with Chelsea, even though he has not played for the Premier League side since 2013.

The 27-year-old's deal had been due to expire after this month but he has extended that contract until 2021, at which point the midfielder will have been with the Blues for eight years.

However, so far he has been restricted to just 98 minutes of competitive action for Chelsea across four appearances in the Premier League, EFL Cup and Champions League during the 2013-14 season.

Van Ginkel, who joined for a reported £9million from Vitesse Arnhem, tore his anterior cruciate ligament in an EFL Cup tie against Swindon Town on September 24, 2013. It remains his last outing for the club

Loan spells at Milan, Stoke City and PSV have followed but Van Ginkel suffered another serious knee injury in July 2018 and has not played a game since, although he returned to training earlier this year.

Related items

  • Setien says Messi needs a rest as Barcelona chase LaLiga title Setien says Messi needs a rest as Barcelona chase LaLiga title

    Quique Setien said Lionel Messi needed a rest as his "tired" Barcelona kept the pressure on Real Madrid with a 1-0 win over Real Valladolid.

    Messi set up Arturo Vidal's 15th-minute goal on Saturday as Barca moved back within a point of rivals and LaLiga leaders Madrid, who have a game in hand.

    But the superstar attacker played 90 minutes as Barca's busy schedule continued and Setien said afterwards that Messi needed a rest.

    "He probably will get a rest, yes," the Barcelona coach told a news conference.

    "I've mentioned it to him previously and perhaps today if we'd got a couple more goals, as I think we deserved, he probably would have come off to get a little bit of a rest."

    Antoine Griezmann and Luis Suarez, meanwhile, each played 45 minutes, with the Uruguayan replacing the France international at half-time.

    Setien, who said Griezmann had taken a "knock", feels Barca were tired after a third game in the space of a week.

    "I think it's mostly tired legs. It's less than 72 hours since we played our last game," he said.

    "It was very hot today and the pitch felt a lot bigger towards the end of the match. You could see that, a lot of players were not looking fresh on late in the game and they probably lacked that touch of intensity.

    "We've played many games and it's very draining and we have quite a few players who've played a lot of minutes so we can't blame our football, I blame mostly our tired legs for today's game.

    "Sometimes that can affect your decision making, but this is normal for the current situation we're in."

  • Costa on controversial Atletico winner: It didn't come off my arm Costa on controversial Atletico winner: It didn't come off my arm

    Diego Costa denied that his goal in Atletico Madrid's 1-0 victory over Real Betis was scored with the assistance of his arm.

    Atleti secured the win they needed to clinch a top-four finish in LaLiga on Saturday, despite playing over half an hour with 10 men following Mario Hermoso's straight red card for a foul on Loren Moron.

    Costa was sent on as one of a trio of attacking changes just before Hermoso's dismissal and, after Diego Simeone's side absorbed some late pressure, he guided Yannick Carrasco's free-kick into the bottom-right corner to seal the three points.

    Betis defender Marc Bartra played Costa onside but a lengthy VAR check was conducted to see whether the Atleti striker had used his arm in the process of scoring.

    The replays appeared inconclusive and the goal was allowed to stand, unlike first-half efforts for Angel Correa and Alvaro Morata that were chalked off with video assistance.

    "It would be one thing if they called it offside for my goal but it didn't come off my arm. I'm very clear it wasn't [handball] and I'm happy," Costa told Movistar.

    "It was a difficult game after Mario's red card. Our goal was to finish in the top four. Now we have that and we've got two more games we have to try to win to continue our good form.

    "I think it was a good sign that we scored from a set-piece. We were in control. What happened in the second half made it more difficult, but we had a bit of luck and got the win.

    "I don't know why we always have to suffer like this, but we always suffer and win. If we don't suffer, we don't feel right, so we're happy and we'll look for more glory."

    Referee Jose Luis Gonzalez Gonzalez maintained his decision to dismiss Hermoso after a trip to the pitchside monitor, but Costa felt a booking would also have been a fair punishment.

    "If they'd given a yellow card for Mario Hermoso then fine. I think it was on the limit and in the end the referee has to make the decision, but I think a yellow or red was fair," he said.

    Guido Rodriguez disagreed with Costa's assessment of the goal, claiming the ball clearly struck the attacker's arm.

    "We saw that when Costa scored it touched his arm, but they didn't make that decision, so that's how it was," the Betis midfielder said.

    "We played with a player more, looking for the goal, but we leave pretty annoyed because we couldn't get it."

  • Hat-trick hero Sterling on best scoring season: I need to make these goals count Hat-trick hero Sterling on best scoring season: I need to make these goals count

    Raheem Sterling is eager to make his record scoring season count by helping Manchester City secure silverware after his hat-trick in the 5-0 away win over Brighton and Hove Albion.

    City made a top-four finish mathematically certain, as well as all but wrapping up second place as a treble from Sterling, plus goals from Gabriel Jesus and Bernardo Silva, saw off sorry Brighton.

    It was a welcome away win on Saturday after three consecutive Premier League defeats on their travels, with a home game with Bournemouth up next before a key FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal.

    Sterling has six goals in his past five games and moved onto 27 in all competitions, making this his best scoring season.

    "The most important thing for me is trying to have goals to add value to the team," Sterling said to Sky Sports.

    "At the end of the day [it is most important] to try and win the FA Cup final and try to win the Champions League as well otherwise these goals don't mean anything.

    "I need to try and make these goals count.

    "I think the problem we have had this season is we have created a lot of chances, but last season and the season before we had finished them and buried games early on.

    "This season we haven't had that slight bit of luck but we are growing, doing things right and that is we need to do, continue making chances. We can't complain.

    "We were disappointed last weekend with the loss away to Southampton when we created chances but we didn’t finish them. It is great to bounce back with another away win."

    Sterling moved onto 17 Premier League goals and was asked if he was eyeing a late push for the golden boot, with Jamie Vardy five ahead of him atop the scoring charts.

    Sterling said: "I said to myself earlier that I'm on 14 now and I need to score a hat-trick – and I’m grateful that I scored a hat-trick."

    The England international was laughing as he attempted to answer what his intentions were for his hat-trick goal, which came in unusual circumstances nine minutes from time.

    He inadvertently scored a header – his second of the match – through the legs of goalkeeper Mat Ryan while he was falling to the ground having forced his way past two Brighton defenders.

    Sterling said: "I tried to flick it over his head, and I've seen the keeper come out and I have headed it in! It counts!"

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.