EPL

It's our time to win the Premier League – Liverpool star Salah

By Sports Desk June 24, 2020

Mohamed Salah said Liverpool's time to win the Premier League had come after their resounding 4-0 victory over Crystal Palace on Wednesday.

Goals from Trent Alexander-Arnold, Salah, Fabinho and Sadio Mane at Anfield saw Jurgen Klopp's men take another step towards a first league title in 30 years.

Liverpool could be crowned champions on Thursday if Manchester City fail to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Salah is thrilled to have Liverpool just two points away from a first league crown since 1990.

"I feel great," he told Sky Sports.

"Since I came here I said I want to win the Premier League with the team. The city didn't win it for a long time, so it was the right time.

"Maybe last year we had a chance to win it but Man City also performed really good and they deserved to win it. It's our time to win it and it's great."

Liverpool were dominant against Palace on their way to a 28th win in 31 league games this season.

Salah hailed the performance, with Liverpool now not in action again until July 2, when they visit City.

"We had a great performance today and all the players were unbelievable," the forward said.

"I'm happy about the result and looking forward to the next two games.

"I think all the players are motivated, everyone is motivated in his way – but everyone is motivated to win the league."

Related items

  • Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt

    Benfica have confirmed the signings of Jan Vertonghen, Everton Soares and Luca Waldschmidt.

    In an announcement on Friday, Benfica revealed the three additions to coach Jorge Jesus' squad.

    Vertonghen, who will wear the number five shirt, arrives as a free agent after the experienced Belgium defender left Tottenham at the end of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    Meanwhile, Everton – who was also linked with the English club of the same name – has joined for an undisclosed fee from Gremio.

    The 24-year-old winger has made 14 appearances for Brazil, scoring three goals.

    Waldschmidt arrives from Bundesliga club Freiburg, having netted seven league goals to help his former side finish eighth in 2019-20.

    A three-time Germany international, Waldschmidt will wear the number 10 jersey.

    Benfica finished second in Portugal's Primeira Liga last term, five points behind champions Porto.

  • Barcelona defender Umtiti tests positive for coronavirus Barcelona defender Umtiti tests positive for coronavirus

    Barcelona have revealed Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for coronavirus.

    The French defender's status was announced following COVID-19 tests carried out among the Barca squad on Thursday.

    Umtiti is asymptomatic and isolating at home, the club revealed, though the centre-back was already certain to miss the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich.

    The 26-year-old - who has made just 18 appearances in all competitions in the 2019-20 season - had not travelled with his team-mates to Lisbon due to a knee injury.

    "After the PCR tests carried out on Thursday, the first-team player Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for COVID-19," Barcelona said in a statement.

    "The players is asymptomatic, is in good health and isolating at home.

    "The club has informed the relevant sporting and health authorities, as well as tracing all the people who have had contact with the player so that they can undergo the corresponding PCR tests."

    With Umtiti unavailable, compatriot Clement Lenglet was chosen to start alongside Gerard Pique at the heart of Barcelona's defence for Friday's clash with Bundesliga champions Bayern.

     

  • Premier League chief reveals arbitration offer was turned down before Newcastle takeover collapsed Premier League chief reveals arbitration offer was turned down before Newcastle takeover collapsed

    The Premier League saw an offer of arbitration declined over the ownership issue that became a key obstacle before a takeover of Newcastle United collapsed.

    Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has addressed the takeover bid for the first time in public, responding to a series of questions pitched to him by Chi Onwurah, the Labour MP for Newcastle Central.

    A consortium led by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF) pulled out of a bid to buy the club at the end of July. It was a proposed £300million purchase, backed by the PIF, whose chairman is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

    Many Newcastle supporters had welcomed the attempted takeover, given the unpopularity of current owner Mike Ashley and the possibility of major new investment in the club potentially leading to a transfer spree.

    Saudi Arabia's human rights record was cited by some opponents to the deal as a factor that should have precluded a takeover from happening, while representatives of the country were found by the World Trade Organization to have enabled the piracy of Premier League matches that were being broadcasted legally by beIN SPORTS.

    Amanda Staveley, the businesswoman at the centre of the bid negotiations, claimed the Premier League attempted to make the Saudi state a "director".

    Masters, in his letter on Friday, did not explicitly say the Premier League felt the Saudi state would effectively become Newcastle's owners, but he explained "one entity" caused a disagreement, and said the consortium "chose not to take up" the arbitration offer.

    He said "intellectual property infringements" featured among disqualifying factors in the Premier League's owners' and directors' test but stressed the Newcastle takeover had not reached the stage of such factors being put to the test.

    Masters wrote: "In June, the Premier League board made a clear determination as to which entities it believed would have control over the club following the proposed acquisition, in accordance with the Premier League rules.

    "Subsequently, the Premier League then asked each such person or entity to provide the Premier League with additional information, which would then have been used to consider the assessment of any possible disqualifying events.

    "In this matter, the consortium disagreed with the Premier League's determination that one entity would fall within the criteria requiring the provision of this information.

    "The Premier League recognised this dispute and offered the consortium the ability to have the matter determined by an independent arbitral tribunal if it wished to challenge the conclusion of the board.

    "The consortium chose not to take up that offer, but nor did it procure the provision of the additional information. Later, it [or PIF specifically] voluntarily withdrew from the process.

    "This meant there was never any point where the Premier League board was asked to make an assessment on the suitability of all members of the consortium."

    Masters added: "The Premier League is reviewing its owners' and directors' test in the coming months to ensure it remains robust and fair to all interested stakeholders."

    Amnesty International had claimed the takeover bid was an attempt by Saudi Arabia to "sportswash" its international reputation.

    Reacting to Friday's letter from Masters, Onwurah said the Premier League response "provides some new info but not the reassurance or transparency I know fans want".

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.