Sarri denies row with rumoured Barcelona target Pjanic

By Sports Desk June 21, 2020

Maurizio Sarri has emphatically dismissed rumours of a row with Miralem Pjanic as Juventus prepare to resume their Serie A campaign. 

A story in the Italian media claimed the Juve boss had a disagreement with the midfielder - who has been heavily linked with Barcelona - during a training session ahead of the game against Bologna on Monday. 

However, Sarri made clear on Sunday that there has been no clash between the pair, revealing he has a good relationship with Pjanic and branding the report fake news. 

The 30-year-old was allegedly set to be dropped but Juve are lacking options in midfield; Aaron Ramsey is still not ready to play 90 minutes, according to his coach, while Sami Khedira is sidelined. 

"The story of my quarrel with Pjanic is one of the biggest hoaxes of the season," Sarri told Sky Sport in Italy.  

"I talk a lot with Miralem, maybe he is one of the guys with whom I have more discussions and a better relationship. Pjanic has done the same as the team in these last two games - made a good start and then subsequently dropped off.  

"For tomorrow's game, let's see how he is and then we'll decide.  

"Of course we don't have many other solutions in that role at the moment. Ramsey is more likely to play in part of the game, rather than for 90 minutes." 

Juve have played twice already since the action restarted in Italy following the suspension of the season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

They drew at home with Milan to progress in the Coppa Italia, only to lose on penalties to Napoli in Wednesday's final in Rome.

Now their focus switches back to the league, Sarri's table-topping squad holding a one-point lead over Lazio as they bid to be crowned champions for a ninth straight season.

"The first games are the most dangerous, because there are no certainties about the teams' responses," Sarri said ahead of the trip to opponents who sit in 10th place.

"Bologna are doing very well, playing good football. We have to hold them in high regard, play a shrewd game and hope to go up a level."

Related items

  • Leverkusen boss Bosz jokes about Havertz transfer amid Chelsea links Leverkusen boss Bosz jokes about Havertz transfer amid Chelsea links

    Bayer Leverkusen head coach Peter Bosz joked that Chelsea target Kai Havertz will join Heracles Almelo after the German side lost in the Europa League quarter-finals.

    Leverkusen's Europa League campaign came to an end on Monday, beaten 2-1 by Serie A side Inter in Dusseldorf.

    Nicolo Barella and Romelu Lukaku had given Inter a commanding lead inside 21 minutes, before Havertz reduced the deficit three minutes later.

    Havertz has been tipped to leave Leverkusen for Premier League giants Chelsea once the 2019-20 season has concluded, and Bosz was asked whether the Germany international had played his final match for the club.

    "Yes, I can exclusively announce he'll play for [Dutch outfit] Heracles Almelo," Bosz, who previously coached Heracles in two separated spells, said during his post-match news conference.

    Reflecting on the match, Bosz added: "We lost against a great opponent. We didn't play well in the first 20 minutes and had problems dealing with Lukaku, then things improved and we thought that we'd turn it around. We could've done better and are disappointed.

    "Marcelo Brozovic was allowed far too much freedom in the middle of the park and we had to make changes after those initial 20 minutes. As for Lukaku, he's just too strong in one-on-one situations.

    "We moved [Moussa] Diaby to the left, because they were pressing our wide men, and Diego Godin doesn't like coming out from the back, so we had more space then to build."

  • Solskjaer dismisses Sancho talk after Man Utd reach Europa League semis Solskjaer dismisses Sancho talk after Man Utd reach Europa League semis

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer refused to talk about rumoured transfer target Jadon Sancho after the Red Devils advanced to the Europa League semi-finals.

    United booked their spot in the final four of Europe's secondary club competition after edging Danish opponents Copenhagen 1-0 in extra time on Monday.

    Bruno Fernandes' 95th-minute penalty secured a semi-final showdown with either Premier League rivals Wolves or LaLiga outfit Sevilla.

    But attention turned to Borussia Dortmund star Sancho post-match amid ongoing speculation over the England international's future.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc, earlier on Monday, insisted Sancho will stay at the Bundesliga club, despite United's interested.

    Asked about Sancho, Solskjaer replied: "I can't comment on other team's players, I can't do that. You know that. I never do."

    On the match itself in Cologne, Solskjaer said: "I am delighted that we're through. I think we deserved to win tonight. It could have been one of those nights that you ended up with a penalty shootout. They made it hard for us.

    "It's a good team we played against, well organised. They had a gameplan – we knew they were going to be hard to break down. We knew we would get chances."

    Juan Mata was influential as a substitute at the start of extra time, his composure and passing helping United earn the decisive penalty.

    Mata has struggled for game time this season but Solskjaer heaped praise on the 32-year-old Spaniard.

    "I think you saw when he came on he's so composed, calm," Solskjaer said. "He's clever, he's got quick feet in small right areas.

    "He can pick a pass, he can calm us down at times and he's such a great influence in and around the place as well, with the culture and the dressing room. I just commend him for his professionalism.

    "Of course, he's disappointed he's not played more but he's one of the top assist-makers in the Europa League and he's really done well for us."

  • Leeds United bring in Wigan Athletic youngster Gelhardt Leeds United bring in Wigan Athletic youngster Gelhardt

    Joe Gelhardt has signed for Leeds United from Wigan Athletic, the Premier League club have confirmed.

    Striker Gelhardt has signed a four-year deal with Leeds, after joining for an undisclosed fee.

    Having made his Wigan debut in 2018, Gelhardt made 19 appearances in all competitions for the Latics last season, scoring one goal.

    Gelhardt becomes Leeds' fourth signing of the transfer window, after Jack Harrison rejoined on loan from Manchester City and Helder Costa and Illan Meslier made their stays permanent.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.