Coronavirus: A-League season extended until end of August after talks

By Sports Desk June 14, 2020

The A-League season has been extended until the end of August after talks between Football Federation Australia (FFA), the clubs and players.

The campaign was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, with just 27 matches and the finals left to be played.

FFA chief executive James Johnson thanked the clubs and players ahead of a potential resumption in mid-July.

"I'd like to thank the players and clubs for their commitment to restarting the Hyundai A-League 2019-20 season," he said.

"These are extremely challenging times and I'd like to acknowledge the leadership shown by all to ensure our loyal supporters across Australia will be able to see their favourite teams back in action again soon.

"When the A-League was suspended on 24 March, our players had been paid for the full 10 months of the season equating to 83 per cent of their contracted salaries. Our players have shown great solidarity and have agreed to take a reduction in pay for the additional three months of the season to ensure that it can be completed.

"We have all had to readjust to this new landscape and this has meant coming together to make sacrifices for the greater good of the game. The resumption of the Hyundai A-League 2019-20 season is another step forward for the reactivation of football, and we look forward to a return to training and competitive action."

FFA head of leagues Greg O'Rourke said a revised draw would be released soon as talks continue with broadcast partners.

"We'd like to acknowledge the executives of the PFA [Professional Footballers Australia] and Hyundai A-League clubs for their collaboration and work in getting this deal done to take us through to the completion of the Hyundai A-League 2019-20 season," he said.

"We can now focus on the testing of all players for COVID-19 before a return to training for the clubs this week.

"We will announce details of the revised draw for the remaining 27 matches of the regular season shortly, which will be contested over a period of 28 days, plus the five final series matches.

"We look forward to continuing discussions with our broadcast partners regarding broadcast details of all matches."

Related items

  • Bailey told he can leave Leverkusen if price is right - new agent promises crunch talks with club Bailey told he can leave Leverkusen if price is right - new agent promises crunch talks with club

    Jamaica international Leon Bailey has been told he will be allowed to leave Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen during the summer transfer window if the price is right.

    The 22-year-old winger was routinely listed among the most coveted targets during the previous two transfer windows.  However, a stop-start kind of season has removed some of that lustre and the player’s transfer value as well.  The player has, however, in recent times been linked with a number of English Premier League clubs, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea, and most recently Everton and Tottenham.

    Aidy Ward, the player's new agent, has revealed that he is prepared to hold talks with the club concerning the Jamaican’s future.

    "The club has told his stepfather that he can leave for a certain amount of money," Ward told Sport1.

    "As soon as I have talked to the club, and the situation is clear, we will now know to do. If the club wants to sell, it's no problem. Then we'll talk to each other and come to an agreement,” he added.

    “If they don't want to sell, it's no problem either. In this case, we'll leave the situation and move on. It's that simple.”

  • England manager Southgate keen to blunt JFF ambitions - countries set for battle over fringe players England manager Southgate keen to blunt JFF ambitions - countries set for battle over fringe players

    England manager Gareth Southgate is reportedly keen on blunting bold recruitment ambitions of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), who have targeted a number of players that qualify to play for the Caribbean nation.

    According to recent reports the JFF, through agent Devon Porter, has sought to make contact with a number of players that could qualify to represent the nation in the World Cup qualifiers, by virtue of having Jamaican parents or grandparents. 

    The list is said to include newly promoted Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips, Everton's Mason Holgate, Manchester United's Mason Greenwood, and Arsenal’s Ainsley Maitland-Niles, who were all born to Jamaican parents.

    The England manager has requested a meeting with four players born to Jamaican parents including Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips for Friday afternoon.  Southgate is, however, expected to meet with the players in order to assure them of the possibility of playing for their birth country.  The England national football program has been guilty in the past of giving fringe players one of two caps, in order to end the pursuit of other potential nations and never recall the players again. 

    Across England’s top four leagues there are said to be an estimated 124 players of Jamaican ancestry.  English-based Jamaican players played a crucial role in the country securing its only appearance at the FIFA World Cup in 1998.  The Jamaica team has already qualified for the final round of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers.  

  • Svitolina and Bertens opt out of US Open over COVID-19 worries Svitolina and Bertens opt out of US Open over COVID-19 worries

    Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens will not take part in this year's US Open due to concerns about coronavirus.

    Svitolina and Bertens on Friday became the latest high-profile players to opt out of the tournament that is due to be played behind closed doors in New York from August 31.

    With women's world number one Ash Barty having already decided against competing, three of the WTA Tour's top 10 players have now pulled out.

    Svitolina, ranked fifth in the world, posted on Twitter: "Considering all the aspects, I have decided not to play the US Open 2020.

    "I want to thank the USTA [United States Tennis Association], organisers and WTA for giving the players a chance to play and the fans a chance to watch this great event.

    "I understand and respect all the efforts they are putting in to make it happen in a safe environment, but I still don't feel comfortable to travel to the US without putting my team and myself at high risk."

    World number seven Bertens said the 14-day quarantine upon returning to the Netherlands from the USA would prove too much of hindrance to her preparation for the French Open, which will take place from September 27.

    "After long consideration I have decided not to go to the States for Cincinnati [the Western and Southern Open, which has been moved to New York] and the US Open," Bertens posted on Instagram.

    "The situation around COVID-19 is still that worrying and the health of everyone and the control over this virus is priority.

    "[The Dutch] prime minister indicated yesterday that we should be quarantined for 14 days after coming back from the States. Of course, we respect this as a team and this would disturb our preparation for my beloved clay court tournaments in Rome and Paris.

    "I hope the situation will soon take a positive turn and wish everyone good health."

    The WTA Tour returned this week with the Palermo Open and, after skipping that event, world number two Simona Halep has arrived in the Czech Republic to play in the Prague Open next week.

    Halep previously admitted to having concerns about participating in the US Open.

    Reigning men's singles champion Rafael Nadal will not take part due to worries about COVID-19, while Roger Federer will miss out after undergoing knee surgery.

    Novak Djokovic is expected to make a definitive announcement on his participation this week.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.