Trippier raring to go after 'difficult' recovery from injury that plagued him at Spurs

By Sports Desk June 02, 2020

Kieran Trippier is excited to resume the 2019-20 LaLiga season following the coronavirus pandemic, with the full-back also fully fit again following surgery on an injury that plagued him even before leaving Tottenham last year.

Spanish football is due to resume next week after a three-month hiatus, which came at a frustrating time for Trippier, given he had just returned to action following a lay-off.

Trippier had surgery on a groin issue in January and it was a problem he recently revealed caused him significant stress during his final season at Tottenham, criticising the club for putting off the operation.

Although he returned to action a few weeks before LaLiga was suspended, Trippier was still receiving treatment to aid his recovery, but that had to stop once Spain went into lockdown.

The England international acknowledged it was a struggle to retain fitness during the lockdown, but he and Atletico are excited to get going again, with Los Colchoneros set to resume their campaign away to Athletic Bilbao on June 14.

"For me personally, after my surgery, I was used to getting treatment every single day but obviously I couldn't get that at home," he said.

"It was difficult but always you find a way to train, keep yourself in the best possible shape so when you return, you're ready to start the competition again.

"I feel very good to be back. It was very difficult not seeing team-mates, staff, and training every single day. But everybody understands the circumstances of the time.

"Obviously everyone's excited. The team is just looking forward to getting ready for the game against Athletic and it's important that we start the season off again strongly and try to win as many games as we can from now until the end of the season."

The rest of the season will be played behind closed doors and Trippier is aware of how it feels to play in an empty stadium, though he believes Atletico will still feel the love from supporters watching in their own homes.

"I've played in some games where there have been no supporters before and it's different," he added.

"Obviously you want the fans there supporting you every single game, but everybody understands the circumstances at the moment and it's important that everybody is safe.

"We'll always try to find a way to win and the fans are always there watching on TV, so we have the full support from them back home."

Atletico are sixth in LaLiga heading into the final 11 matches of the season, however third-placed Sevilla are just two points better off than Diego Simeone's men.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns

    Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price will not play this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

    The start of the 2020 MLB campaign was scheduled to get underway in March before it was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Now, a 60-game regular season is set to begin on July 23 but Price – who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox along with 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts in February for Alex Verdugo and prospects – will not be involved.

    "After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me not to play this season," Price announced via social media on Saturday.

    "I will miss my team-mates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.

    "Stay safe, be well, and be kind. And go Dodgers!"

    The announcement by the five-time All-Star comes a day after Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout said he was not "comfortable" with the current situation and is still unsure whether he will play due to his pregnant wife.  

    San Francisco Giants veteran catcher Buster Posey said he may choose not to play in 2020 on Saturday.

    Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals team-mates Joe Ross and Ryan Zimmerman have already said they will not play this season. 

    Price was set to earn $32million this season, with the Red Sox paying $16m of that, before the coronavirus crisis.

    The 2012 AL Cy Young award winner went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA for Boston last season and helped the Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in the 2018 World Series. 

  • Lazio have no intention of 'letting go' in Scudetto quest despite Milan loss – Inzaghi Lazio have no intention of 'letting go' in Scudetto quest despite Milan loss – Inzaghi

    Simone Inzaghi acknowledged Lazio's Serie A title chances have been dealt a blow after losing 3-0 to Milan but insisted the Scudetto hopefuls will not give up.

    Lazio were comprehensively beaten by visiting Milan in Rome on Saturday as Inzaghi's men fell seven points adrift of leaders and defending champions Juventus.

    Without leading goalscorer Ciro Immobile and Felipe Caicedo due to suspension, Lazio's Scudetto dream was derailed by Hakan Calhanoglu, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ante Rebic at Stadio Olimpico – Milan leading 2-0 at half-time.

    Lazio – eyeing their first league crown since 2000 – face an uphill battle overhauling Juve with eight matches remaining in 2019-20, while Inter could move within a point of second spot by beating Bologna on Sunday.

    "This defeat weighs on us in the table, but we knew that there were some objective difficulties today," Lazio head coach Inzaghi told DAZN. "We weren't very fortunate either, as we conceded a goal with a deflection, another on a penalty that Thomas Strakosha almost saved.

    "Then we had two chances to get it back on track, only to concede the third goal. Unfortunately, I can't rotate the squad right now, so playing four games in under two weeks becomes difficult.

    "We've got to look forward and prepare for the next match. We know the journey we have taken and have no intention of letting go. We'll probably lose [Joaquin] Correa to injury for the next one, we must try to rotate a little, because these lads are now very tired."

    "Correa has been struggling with a calf problem for a few weeks," added Inzaghi. "If Caicedo and Immobile weren't suspended, he wouldn't have played today. Lucas Leiva had his first appearance today after just 25 minutes of training. We only made the decision after a fitness test this morning.

    "Bobby Adekanye hadn't played for 25 days either, [Sergej] Milinkovic-Savic and Correa told me they weren't feeling right. It was difficult against Milan in these circumstances. Even then I have to think we could’ve got back into it at 2-1.

    "Initially, Luis Alberto was meant to be in support of Correa, but we were lacking a physical presence and hadn't really used this tactic without Immobile. If we'd had Adekanye in training during the week, I probably would've started him, as he is at least a centre-forward."

    It was a return to form for Milan, who faced defeat before rallying to earn a 2-2 draw at relegation-threatened SPAL last time out.

    Milan – with Ibrahimovic back in the line-up – dominated against Lazio as they stayed on track to qualify for the Europa League next season.

    "We work really well at Milanello, I always said that I had a group of responsible players who are aware of the importance of the shirt they are wearing," said Milan boss Stefano Pioli, who is tipped to be replaced by Ralf Rangnick at the end of the campaign. "I don't know what will happen with our future, with my future, but we are too concentrated on fighting to the end so we can at least get Milan back into the Europa League.

    "We won't get the Champions League now, but Milan are a prestigious club and have to be in European competition.

    "The players are continuing to give 110 per cent, even those who signed contracts to the end of the season and probably won't remain here after that. They are determined to prove they are still strong players at this level and to give their best for Milan."

    Ibrahimovic, who has recovered from a calf injury, converted a first-half penalty to take his tally to five goals since returning to Milan from LA Galaxy in January.

    "Ibra has allowed us to grow in terms of mentality, quality, technique, it's a real pleasure to work with him and see how he deals with his team-mates," added Pioli, whose Milan host Juve on Tuesday. "Now we've got a month left and can continue pushing all the way."

  • Winning DFB-Pokal in empty Olympiastadion 'hurts' Muller Winning DFB-Pokal in empty Olympiastadion 'hurts' Muller

    Thomas Muller felt Bayern Munich's DFB-Pokal final victory over Bayer Leverkusen was a "sad moment" because the game had to take place behind closed doors. 

    Bayern have been in electric form since top-flight football in Germany resumed after the coronavirus shutdown, storming to an eighth consecutive Bundesliga title before closing out another campaign of domestic dominance with a 4-2 win in Berlin on Saturday. 

    David Alaba's brilliant free-kick opened the scoring at the Olympiastadion and Serge Gnabry doubled the advantage. 

    Although Leverkusen improved considerably after the break, Robert Lewandowski scored a brace to move past 50 goals for the campaign and seal glory. 

    Nevertheless, playing at Germany's most famous stadium without fans led to mixed emotions for Muller.

    "It's a bit of a sad moment," he told ARD.  "When the fans are missing at a cup final like this, it's not the same. 

    "We did well for most of the way, but it hurts a little bit too." 

    Wherever they were watching, once again Bayern supporters had plenty to enjoy from a team revitalised under Hansi Flick, who will now aim to repeat the 2012-13 treble when the Champions League concludes next month.

    "We leave the stadium proud that we have achieved this," Flick told Sky. "What the team has achieved in the last few weeks is sensational. The attitude is simply fantastic.

    "I am very, very happy. The way the team performs is extraordinary."

    There was little doubt over the destination of the trophy after Gnabry drilled home an unerring finish in the 24th minute.

    "We are so lucky to have won the double today," he told Sky.

    "In the first half we had the game completely under control, we could have scored one or two more goals.

    "Then Leverkusen had a lot of counter-attacks, but in the end we won 4-2, and that's the most important thing."

    Manuel Neuer is one of the survivors of Bayern's last treble season and the captain is eager to go all the way again.

    "We have experienced in the last few weeks how motivated and hungry FC Bayern is," Neuer told Sky.

    "What we have achieved is something very special. The attitude was sensational.

    "We have a little break now, and then we'll prepare ourselves at the top and of course try to bring in the treble."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.