Coronavirus: Messi admits 'huge disappointment' over Copa America

By Sports Desk May 27, 2020

Lionel Messi said he had been "extremely excited" to compete in the 2020 Copa America and the decision to postpone the competition until 2021 hit him hard.

The Argentina captain was set to take part in the Copa America for the sixth time in June and July before CONMEBOL announced its postponement in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Messi has been a runner-up in the competition on three occasions, in 2007, 2015 and 2016, and he will be nearly 34 by the time the 2021 edition kicks off.

"Pushing back the Copa America was a huge disappointment, but of course it was to be expected and was the reasonable thing to do," Messi told adidas.

"The Copa was going to be a big occasion for me this year, and I was extremely excited to compete in it again. It hit me hard when I learned it would be postponed, but I completely understood.

"We can't dwell on what we're leaving behind this year. It's better to look to the future. To getting back to the daily training routine, to seeing team-mates, to playing the first games.

"I'm sure it will be strange at first, but I'm very eager to start competing again!"

While Messi will have to wait for the return of international football, he is training with Barcelona in anticipation of LaLiga resuming in the coming weeks.

The Blaugrana's talismanic forward admitted the uncertainty of the global pandemic had affected him mentally.

"I don't think anyone could have seen something like this coming," he said.

"Some people warned that worldwide pandemics could happen from time to time. But I really never could have imagined it would unfold like it did, or the enormous impact it's having on virtually the entire world.

"Living or working with so much uncertainty is never easy, especially when faced with a situation as unheard-of as this one. That's why we'll need some time to prepare before competing again."

Related items

  • Real Madrid 2-0 Deportivo Alaves: Zidane's men on brink of title glory Real Madrid 2-0 Deportivo Alaves: Zidane's men on brink of title glory

    Real Madrid moved a significant step nearer to a 34th LaLiga title as Karim Benzema set them on the way to a 2-0 win over Deportivo Alaves.

    The gap to Barcelona in second place is back to four points, and it would take a mighty collapse from this position for the teams to swap positions.

    Marco Asensio grabbed Madrid's second goal after Benzema's early penalty, and Zinedine Zidane's side could have stretched their lead as a string of chances came their way.

    But lowly Alaves contributed plenty to an entertaining game, enough to suggest they can survive in the top flight under their new coach Juan Muniz.

  • Simeone not ready to start resting Atletico Madrid stars Simeone not ready to start resting Atletico Madrid stars

    Diego Simeone is not thinking about resting his Atletico Madrid stars ahead of the return of the Champions League.

    Atleti were pitted against RB Leipzig in the quarter-final draw on Friday, with the winner of that game taking on Atalanta or Paris Saint-Germain in the last four of the mini-tournament that will be hosted in Lisbon next month.

    Simeone's side will secure a top-four finish in LaLiga if they defeat Real Betis on Saturday - with three games remaining they sit six points clear of Villarreal, whom they hold the upper hand over in the head-to-head record.

    Despite being so close to guaranteeing a return to the Champions League next season, the Atleti boss is not considering rotating his players.

    "Every time we select a line-up, we do so thinking of winning the game. Tomorrow [Saturday] will be no exception," Simeone told the media on Friday.

    "It will be a very important game. It is a game which can give us the access to next season's Champions League, which is what we really want and have been looking for and working towards for a long time.

    "We will try to be at our best in the game; looking at the training today in order to know who are best for tomorrow's game, which is the most important. And after, we will try to put that in the pitch, the only useful thing."

    Having knocked out defending champions Liverpool in the Champions League last-16 and landed in the kinder half of the draw for the final stages, Atletico are considered strong candidates to go all the way.

    Simeone does not see it that way, though, pointing to the threat Leipzig pose.

    "They are always the same people who either exaggerate or discredit you. As I am trying to escape from extremes, I will only say what I said already after the draw," the Atleti boss said.

    "We are going to face a good team with quick attacking players. A team that scores many goals and finished a great season in Germany."

  • Marcelo suffers adductor injury amid reports his LaLiga season is over Marcelo suffers adductor injury amid reports his LaLiga season is over

    Real Madrid could be without Marcelo for the rest of their LaLiga campaign after suffering an adductor injury.

    The experienced left-back sustained the problem during the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, a game in which he won the penalty that resulted in the decisive goal.

    LaLiga leaders Madrid announced in the lead up to Friday's clash with Deportivo Alaves that the Brazilian's injury had been diagnosed as a problem in his left adductor muscle.

    While the club refused to put a timeframe on his recovery, media reports suggest they do not expect him to be available for their three remaining league games after the visit of Alaves.

    Zinedine Zidane will be without Marcelo for trips to Granada and Leganes either side of a home match against in-form Villarreal.

    He is not thought to be a major doubt for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester City on August 7, however.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.