Coronavirus: LaLiga chief Tebas wants to resume season with Seville derby on June 11

By Sports Desk May 24, 2020

LaLiga president Javier Tebas is hoping to resume the 2019-20 season on Thursday, June 11 with the Seville derby.

Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed on Saturday that LaLiga had been given permission to resume behind closed doors from June 8 following the coronavirus-enforced hiatus.

Previous reports had suggested the first match would be played on June 12, exactly three months after the suspension started, with Sevilla's home match against bitter rivals Real Betis said to be the chosen match.

And while Tebas confirmed the derby to be his desired fixture, he revealed on Sunday that he is hoping to resume a day earlier, with kick-off to be set at 22:00 local time due to the intense heat in Andalusia's capital.

Speaking on the Partidazo show, Tebas said: "There is the possibility that there will be a match on the 11th [of June], which would be a unique match, with a possible tribute for all the deceased.

"I wish that date could be confirmed. We would like it to be the Seville derby, at 10 at night.

"Our idea is to be able to confirm the [dates for the] first four matchdays this [coming] week.

"The hours will depend on where the game is played, it will always be taken into account. During the week, the schedules will be late. On weekends, there will be three schedules."

Despite Tebas revealing his plan, confirmation of the exact resumption date is to be announced in due course.

Lockdown measures in Spain have been eased gradually over the past few weeks after it was hit particularly badly by the COVID-19 pandemic.

There have been almost 283,000 confirmed cases of the virus in Spain and 28,752 deaths – only the United States, United Kingdom and Italy recorded more fatalities.

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake injured in Union's victory over Chicago Fire FC Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake injured in Union's victory over Chicago Fire FC

    Reggae Boyz goalkeeper Andre Blake suffered an injury during the Philadelphia Union’s 2-1 victory over Chicago Fire FC Wednesday night.

  • Tuchel slammed for creating PSG defensive chaos with Marquinhos use Tuchel slammed for creating PSG defensive chaos with Marquinhos use

    Thomas Tuchel has caused a defensive "mess" at Paris Saint-Germain by using Marquinhos in midfield, according to ex-striker Mevlut Erding.

    Brazil international Marquinhos has been deployed in midfield in recent games by PSG head coach Tuchel.

    The German has instead used midfielder Danilo Pereira, signed on loan from Porto, at the back.

    Erding, who made 109 appearances for PSG between 2009 and 2012, claimed Tuchel has made a tactical blunder with his use of the PSG skipper.

    "Marquinhos must be the leader of this team, but in defence. This is where he is the leader," Erding told L'Equipe.

    "It's a mess! In midfield, he loses his influence. I do not understand this choice of Thomas Tuchel. He could justify it before to troubleshoot, to tinker, when there was no Danilo Pereira.

    "Marquinhos will have the leadership of this team but in central defence. It is he who embodies the succession of Thiago Silva in all areas."

    PSG claimed a 2-0 victory over Istanbul Basaksehir on Wednesday to register their first win in the Champions League this season thanks to two goals from Everton loanee Moise Kean.

    They are top of Ligue 1 on goal difference ahead of second-placed Lille, who also have 18 points.

  • Barcelona could have scored eight goals against Juventus - Capello Barcelona could have scored eight goals against Juventus - Capello

    Barcelona were so dominant against Juventus that they could have scored eight times, according to "shocked" former Bianconeri boss Fabio Capello.

    Ousmane Dembele and Lionel Messi were on target as Barca ran out 2-0 winners in Wednesday's Champions League Group G clash at Allianz Stadium.

    Juve were without the self-isolating Cristiano Ronaldo once again and lost Merih Demiral to a red card six minutes before Messi doubled the visitors' advantage.

    Andrea Pirlo's men failed to register a shot on target, with Alvaro Morata having three goals correctly ruled out, while a previously out-of-sorts Barca tested Wojciech Szczesny four times.

    And Capello believes Juventus got off the hook lightly in the battle between two European superpowers, claiming that his old side were too ponderous when in possession.

    "Juventus suffered a lot against a Barcelona in crisis," Capello told Sky Sport Italia. "I was struck by the difference between a team under construction that also lost the Clasico and one at the top in Italy.

    "I was shocked by the difference in intensity and play. Barcelona really impressed me - they could have scored eight goals instead of two.

    "I saw an aggressive team and a lot of dynamism. Messi also contributed a lot."

    Capello felt Juve failed to make full use of Federico Chiesa on the left-hand side, instead looking to play through Paulo Dybala down the middle.

    Chiesa had 38 touches of the ball and completed 14 passes, whereas Dybala - who also played the full 90 minutes - had 55 touches and completed 37 successful passes.

    "Chiesa was often free in midfield but all the bets were always concentrated on Dybala and his part of the pitch," Capello said.

    "It was therefore not possible to open the game and Barcelona had a chance to recover the ball quickly. There was another speed and this makes me doubt what we have in Italy.

    "It was all of Juve that lacked speed, they were always pressed and anticipated."

    Barcelona's victory makes them just the third Spanish team to win a Champions League away game against Juventus after Real Madrid (April 2018) and Deportivo La Coruna (March 2004).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.