EPL

Pochettino happy Mourinho replaced him at Tottenham

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Mauricio Pochettino is happy Jose Mourinho replaced him as Tottenham boss.

Tottenham sacked Pochettino in November, with the team that reached the Champions League final in the 2018-19 season sitting 14th in the Premier League.

Mourinho was drafted in as his replacement but has struggled for consistency despite lifting Spurs to eighth, overseeing elimination from the FA Cup and Champions League before the coronavirus pandemic brought the campaign to a halt.

Asked if he felt any resentment towards Mourinho, Pochettino said: "No. Look, with Jose, we know each other for a long time."

During his time in charge of Espanyol, Pochettino was linked to the Real Madrid post held by Mourinho.

Ahead of a meeting between their sides, the Argentine responded to questions about the reports by saying: "My kids are sleeping in Espanyol pyjamas every night so it's very difficult for me to think about changing clubs."

It proved to be the start of a warm relationship, with Mourinho showing his gratitude by presenting Pochettino with a gift ahead of the match.

Pochettino said: "It was a very nice bottle of French red wine for me and two Real Madrid kits, Jose says: 'Okay, these are for your kids to wear from now on.'

"We have kept a good relationship since then and I am so happy he is at Tottenham, replacing me.

"I am happy as well to have left the club in the condition that we left it and for sure he is very grateful for the way that we helped to build the club, which is now his club."

Pochettino added: "I always think I'd replace him. He was at Real Madrid. I say: 'Oh, maybe one day I can take your place at Real Madrid.' But look at how life works out. He has taken my place at Tottenham. Unbelievable, eh?"

Failing to guide Tottenham to Champions League glory still rankles with the 48-year-old, who felt they were the superior side despite losing 2-0 to Liverpool in Madrid.

"We were much better than Liverpool and maybe we deserved a better result but finals are about winning," Pochettino said.

"It's not about to deserve or not to deserve. No one is prepared to concede in the Champions League final like we did after 30 seconds and that changed everything, all the emotions.

"It is difficult to prepare a team for that happening. I was so disappointed afterwards. It was difficult to stop crying, to stop feeling bad."

Pochettino soon became aware that it would be tough to build towards further success with Spurs thereafter.

"I knew that after five years at the club and with the way we were working and all the things that happened, it was going to be difficult," Pochettino said.

"It changed a little bit in our minds the possibility to stay open to design another plan or a strategy to build again, a different chapter. A different project should be difficult for us to maintain, to keep improving."

However, he harbours no ill will towards Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for relieving him off his duties after a tough start to 2019-20.

Asked whether he wished the Champions League final had been his last game with Spurs, he replied: "No, because my commitment with the club, with Daniel and, of course, with the players and the fans was massive.

"I said to Daniel that we finished in the way that no one wanted but the end … it needed to happen. If not, our relationship will continue for ever! And maybe that's no good for the club or for us.

"When the decision came, we needed to move on. The decision for us to be hired was fantastic and when the decision is not good for you, you need to show the respect. Always, Daniel is going to be my friend. All the people at the club will be."

Related items

  • Lyon president Aulas names Arsenal while addressing Aouar future Lyon president Aulas names Arsenal while addressing Aouar future

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas named Arsenal while discussing the future of in-demand star midfielder Houssem Aouar.

    Aouar has been linked with Premier League outfit Arsenal, as well as Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea following Lyon's memorable run to the 2019-20 Champions League semi-final.

    Lyon value Aouar at €60million (£55m) and are refusing to lower their demands as Mikel Arteta's Arsenal struggle to raise the necessary funds.

    Asked if Aouar could remain at the Ligue 1 club, Aulas told Le Progres: "Financially, Arsenal are like everyone else [in a tricky spot amid the coronavirus pandemic].

    "And Houssem could say to himself that the best thing would be to stay with us."

    Lyon captain Memphis Depay has also been linked with Barcelona and Milan, while Moussa Dembele continues to attract interest from across Europe.

    "From the start I said that we would not lose the three players announced every day in the newspapers," Aulas said.

    "Ten days before the end of the transfer window, none of the three have gone. And I don't imagine that will happen. If one or two leave, they will be replaced."

    Lyon have endured a difficult start to the 2020-21 season, winning just one of their opening four matches to sit 12th in the standings.

    But amid doubts emerging over head coach Rudi Garcia's future, Aulas insisted: "Rudi is with us. He has been cited as one of the best 10 managers in Europe. News gets invented, it is sad.

    "We are not going to respond to such nuisances. Rudi Garcia is and will be our manager, that is clear. And we are going to have a great team."

  • FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability

    The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has been suspended indefinitely by FIFA, after its failure to comply with a request to withdraw a legal case against the global football body currently before the courts of Trinidad and Tobago.

    The case was brought before the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago by former TTFA president William Wallace and other deposed executives.  The members had taken umbrage with FIFA’s disbanding of the then four-month-old administration and its installation of a normalisation committee to take over the country’s football affairs.

    According to a letter issued by FIFA on Thursday, however, the actions were in direct violation of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes and that the issue had been recommended by the Bureau of the Council, who took action.

    “The Bureau took note that this course of action breached art. 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly stipulates the prohibition on recourse to ordinary courts of law unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations,” the letter read.

    “Additionally, the Bureau was informed that the institution and maintenance of those proceedings by these individuals, purporting to act in the name of the TTFA, in complete disregard for the FIFA Statutes threatens the stability of the structure of football governance, both in Trinidad and Tobago and globally.”

    The letter also pointed out that FIFA had given the TTFA until September 16, to withdraw the case before the court and subsequently given a final deadline of September 23 at 3:00 pm, which was also not met.

    As a result of the suspension, the TTFA will be deprived of its rights as a member, which means that neither its clubs nor national teams will be allowed to compete in any international competitions.  Funding for development programs will also immediately be cut.

    The letter gave three conditions under which the renegade body would be re-admitted to global football.

    1. The TTFA complies with the terms and conditions of its membership of FIFA as set out under the FIFA Statutes, including in particular Article 59 of the FIFA Statutes;
    2. The TTFA acknowledges and confirms FIFA’s power and authority to appoint a Normalisation Committee subject only to the right of the TTFA to appeal such a decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
    3. The TTFA Statutes are amended to ensure that all type of disputes may only be submitted to the established dispute resolution forum at CAS.

    The suspension will immediately impact the country’s participation in the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

  • Gareth Bale gave Real Madrid a lot and is still world-class - Juande Ramos Gareth Bale gave Real Madrid a lot and is still world-class - Juande Ramos

    Gareth Bale gave Real Madrid a lot and remains a "world-class talent", according to his former coach Juande Ramos.

    The Wales international completed a return to Tottenham last week on a season-long loan, seven years after swapping the two clubs for a world-record fee at the time.

    He won 13 trophies during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu, including four Champions League titles, but he struggled for appearances over the past couple of seasons.

    Madrid paid little tribute to Bale following his departure and Ramos has suggested the 31-year-old deserves more respect.

    "He is a player I like a lot," Ramos, who coached the forward at Tottenham and also managed Madrid for six months, told Radio Marca.

    "I think he has given Real Madrid a lot too. He has enormous power and a magical left foot. He is a very usable footballer and one of the few with world-class talent."

    Bale scored 105 goals and contributed 57 assists in 251 appearances for Madrid but was restricted to 20 outings last season after falling out of favour with boss Zinedine Zidane.

    "Inside Madrid they will know the problems he may have had with Zidane," Ramos said. "But I am sure he has his own side of the story."

    Tottenham also signed Sergio Reguilon from Madrid in a permanent deal last week and Ramos has tipped the left-back to be a success in north London.

    "For now it is a populated position with [Ferland] Mendy and Marcelo. If they have made a decision to let Sergio go it's because they received a good amount of money," he said.

    "Reguilon had less chance of minutes with Real Madrid than the other two and I think he will adapt well to Spurs. He is a player with a lot of potential."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.