EPL

Coronavirus: Shaw relishing giant step as Man Utd prepare for training return

By Sports Desk May 19, 2020

Manchester United will be taking "a massive step forward" when they return to training on Wednesday, says defender Luke Shaw.

Although contact between players is not yet allowed, United's squad will reconvene for a first session since coronavirus restrictions for elite sport were eased.

Sessions for small groups will get under way but players must adhere to social distancing rules, arriving in training kit and showering at home rather than in shared changing rooms.

"The rules have to be really strict but we're obviously all going to stick to them just to make sure things run as smoothly and safely as possible," Shaw said.

"I think we're all determined to do things properly because we're all looking forward to getting back on a proper pitch! Running down at the park is okay, but obviously it isn't ideal.

"We have to do our work, keep fit and it'll be nice to be around different people and see the boys again for a bit longer. It's a massive step forward to get on the same training pitch as each other."

Shaw told United's official website it would not only be the players who enjoy getting back to work, explaining how in a group call "you could see how excited the coaches were".

There have been instances at other clubs of players being reluctant to jump back into training, with Watford captain Troy Deeney saying he will not be making an immediate return because of personal concerns in relation to COVID-19.

When United reassemble, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will want to ensure there is a high overall level of fitness, as the Premier League is looking to resume in June.

Shaw, who joined United from Southampton in 2014, is confident that will be the case.

"I'm sure there'll be some fitness work when we get back, but we've all done a lot of running over the last three weeks and now we're all just itching to do more ball work," Shaw said.

"The most important thing is getting used to that and it’ll be nice to be able to pass, dribble and get the right feel for the ball again so we can do what we all love."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Lyon president writes letter to government calling for season to resume Coronavirus: Lyon president writes letter to government calling for season to resume

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has written to the French prime minister and sports minister calling for the "hasty decision" to cancel the Ligue 1 season to be reversed.

    The campaign was brought to a premature end last month after prime minister Edouard Philippe announced that no sporting events would be permitted until September due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Lyon missed out of a Europa League place when the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) confirmed the final standings had been calculated on a points-per-game basis.

    Aulas has refused to accept the decision to wrap up the campaign, though, saying play-offs could be arranged in August while questioning the integrity of the LFP executive committee and warning of an "economic disaster" in the French game.

    With the Bundesliga season back up and running, while Spanish, Italian and English clubs prepare for a potential return, Aulas wants an about-turn in France.

    Lyon on Monday published an open letter from their president sent to the government eight days before they are expected to announce the easing lockdown of restrictions in the country.

    It was sent "so that June 2 [when measures could be eased in France] becomes synonymous with hope for all of French football."

    After reiterating why he felt more time should have been taken before deciding whether the campaign could be ended, Aulas stated that he believes the action can get going again in July.

    He concluded: "Can we also conceive as well that June 2 is a great opportunity to rectify the error concerning French football and allow, with the health protocols being used everywhere, to set a starting point for a gradual resumption of training [in June].

    "And, why not, a resumption of the 2019-2020 league seasons in the months of July or August as UEFA specifically suggested on April 21 and as has since been confirmed by Aleksander Ceferin [UEFA president] on May 14?"

  • Kaka and Luis Fabiano lead tributes after former coach Vadao dies Kaka and Luis Fabiano lead tributes after former coach Vadao dies

    Kaka and Luis Fabiano have paid tribute to one of their former coaches, Oswaldo 'Vadao' Alvarez, who has died at the age of 63.

    Vadao most recently coached Brazil's women's team, taking charge at last year's Women's World Cup during a second spell in charge of the national side.

    He left the role following the tournament, with his side having gone out to hosts France in the last 16.

    A former midfielder, Vadao spent much of his coaching career in Brazil's domestic leagues, most notably enjoying spells at Corinthians and Sao Paulo.

    Kaka and Luis Fabiano both featured under Vadao at Sao Paulo in 2001-02, and the pair led the tributes to their former mentor on social media.

    "My eternal gratitude for you opening the doors to a boy that nobody knew and few believed [in]," wrote Kaka in an Instagram post.

    "But you believed, taught me, gave me opportunities for me to fly. Today the day is very sad, but the memories I keep in my heart are of great joy! Rest in peace my friend."

    On his official Instagram account, Luis Fabiano added: "Rest in peace Vadao.

    "You were very important in my career. My feelings to the whole family."

  • Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals

    Novak Djokovic kept it quiet that he was able to train almost every day during lockdown as the world number one did not want to "infuriate other players".

    Djokovic is back in Serbia after spending two months in Marbella, as the coronavirus pandemic prevented him from returning to his homeland.

    The 17-time grand slam champion, who is set to host and play in the new Adria Tour next month, did not want to make it public that he had been able to stay more active than most of his rivals during his time in Spain.

    He said at a press conference in Belgrade on Monday: "Unlike many other players, I was able to train almost every day because we resided in a house with a tennis court.

    "I refrained from posting clips on social networks because I didn't want to infuriate other players. I am fit and in good shape, so I am looking forward to the Adria Tour, which I am organising."

    Djokovic, who turned 33 last Friday, revealed that Alexander Zverev is the latest player who has committed to playing on the Adria Tour.

    The world number seven has agreed to play in the June 13-14 event in Belgrade and could be on court in Zadar, Croatia a week later.

    Djokovic added that matches in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina have not yet been 100 per cent confirmed.

    The events have been arranged to raise money for "humanitarian projects across the region" as well as helping tennis players get back in shape during the ATP Tour suspension.

    Dominic Thiem and Grigor Dimitrov are among the other players who will feature.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.