Coronavirus: Taylor insists players not stupid over pay cuts, brands Hancock 'astonishing'

By Sports Desk April 06, 2020

Gordon Taylor insists Premier League players are not stupid in the row over pay cuts amid the coronavirus pandemic and described the intervention by health secretary Matt Hancock as "astonishing".

Hancock last week urged top-flight players in England to do their part and doubled down on his comments in an interview on Sunday.

Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville and Gary Lineker have been among the high-profile figures stating it is unfair for footballers to be singled out during the debate over salary reductions.

Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) chief executive Taylor was shocked by Hancock and insists players are simply demanding clarification on where any money they sacrifice will go.

His comments came after the PFA pointed out the loss of tax contributions that will occur if players agree with the Premier League's proposal for a 30 per cent pay cut.

Taylor told the Telegraph: "I found it astonishing that Matt Hancock could come out like that when he's got his own issues with trying to get the necessary protective health equipment for our NHS workers and didn't have the tests in place either.

"I think if they [the clubs] can't do that [provide details on where the money will go] and explain the position fully then they have every right to expect players to mistrust what is happening."

On whether players were concerned about that point specifically, Taylor added: "Exactly that. They want the complete due diligence. 

"They're not stupid. They've not just got their brains in their feet. They want to know the reasons for it and where it's going."

Related items

  • Sancho included in Dortmund squad amid Man Utd rumours Sancho included in Dortmund squad amid Man Utd rumours

    Borussia Dortmund have included Jadon Sancho in a 31-man squad for a training camp in Switzerland, despite continued speculation over the player's future.

    The England international has been strongly linked with a big-money move to Manchester United, who can also offer Champions League football after securing a top-four finish in the Premier League.

    Dortmund reportedly wanted a deal done before they went away to continue preparations for the 2020-21 season, though that has failed to materialise.

    According to media speculation, the Bundesliga club value the 20-year-old at £108million having signed him from Manchester City for a fraction of that price back in 2017.

    While Sancho waits to find out if United strike a deal with his current employers, he will train with Dortmund in Bad Ragaz.

    Jude Bellingham is also in the travelling party, the teenage midfielder having recently joined the German club from Birmingham City.

    However, Marco Reus and Marcel Schmelzer have remained at home to continue rehabilitation work as they recover from injuries.

    Dortmund are due to play friendly fixtures against SC Altach and Austria Vienna during the camp.

  • I can't control everything everyone does - Zaha responds to viral Arsenal Instagram message I can't control everything everyone does - Zaha responds to viral Arsenal Instagram message

    Wilfried Zaha said "I can't control everything everyone does" in response to a video on Instagram in which he appears to point to a 'Zaha to Arsenal' sign. 

    The Crystal Palace winger was heavily linked with a switch to Arsenal, the club he supported as a youngster, prior to the 2019-20 season but the Gunners instead spent big to sign Nicolas Pepe from Lille. 

    In the Instagram story, which went viral on social media, Zaha was seen in a club in front of the sign in the background alongside the caption "So me and Wilfried Zaha have a message for you guys @Arsenal". 

    Zaha has since posted a story on his own account, playing down his involvement by writing: "I'm just enjoying my time off and can't control everything everyone does." 

    The same user who posted the original video later added a message to say Zaha "had no partake in the banter." 

    Zaha's long-term future at Selhurst Park has long been in doubt, with Everton having been credited with an interest in the January transfer window. 

    Speaking last month, Palace boss Roy Hodgson admitted Zaha had revealed his desire to seek a new challenge. 

    "Wilf has made it clear, ever since I came to the club really, that he would relish a move and would like to move on and find some pastures new," Hodgson said. 

    "But he's a very valuable player and the club realises his value and appreciates his value and so really everything will depend I guess – as it always does – [on] what sort of offers the club is going to receive for him and how they will equate that with the need to keep him or the need, maybe, to satisfy his wishes, and allow him to go after giving good service to the club for a period of time."

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid to offer Kroos or Isco for Juve's Dybala, Sancho happy to stay at Dortmund Rumour Has It: Real Madrid to offer Kroos or Isco for Juve's Dybala, Sancho happy to stay at Dortmund

    Could Paulo Dybala swap Italy for Spain?

    The Juventus attacker was close to leaving Juventus for either Manchester United or Tottenham prior to the 2019-20 season, while Paris Saint-Germain were also linked.

    Now, Real Madrid are reportedly targeting the 26-year-old.

     

    TOP STORY – KROOS OUT, DYBALA IN?

    Real Madrid are set to offer Toni Kroos or Isco as part of a deal to bring Juventus star Paulo Dybala to the Santiago Bernabeu, according to SportMediaset.

    LaLiga champions Madrid are eyeing a move for Dybala, who has been in negotiations with Serie A titleholders Juve over a new contract amid reported interest from Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, Juve are unwilling to part with the Argentina international – who enjoyed a fine Serie A campaign prior to Maurizio Sarri's sacking as he looks ahead to life under Andrea Pirlo.

    ROUND-UP

    - Kicker claims Jadon Sancho has told Borussia Dortmund he is happy to stay at the club if a blockbuster transfer to Manchester United fails to materialise. The England international has been heavily tipped to join United, with personal terms reportedly agreed.

    Barcelona want to sign Manchester City star Bernardo Silva, reports The Telegraph. The LaLiga giants are eyeing a cash-plus-player deal to try to prise the Portugal international to Camp Nou.

    - Premier League champions Liverpool are poised to sign Olympiacos left-back Kostas Tsimikas, according to widespread reports. Having failed to strike a deal with Norwich City for Jamal Lewis, Liverpool are close to prising Tsimikas from the Greek powerhouse. Meanwhile, The Sun says Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool are targeting a shock £35million swoop for Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks.

    - The front page of Monday's edition of Marca says Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane must sell before he is able to sign players ahead of the 2020-21 season. Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez are two players unwanted in the Spanish capital as Madrid continue to be linked with the likes of PSG superstar Kylian Mbappe, Dortmund's Erling Haaland and Rennes sensation Eduardo Camavinga.

    - AS Diario reports Villarreal are on the verge of signing Valencia pair Dani Parejo and Francis Coquelin. Valencia captain Parejo and team-mate Coquelin have been told they are free to leave Mestalla.

    Napoli have joined the race to sign Madrid full-back Sergio Reguilon claims Sky Sport Italia. On loan at Sevilla, Reguilon has been linked to Chelsea and Everton.

    - According to Calciomercato, Inter are interested in Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele. However, salary demands may prove problematic amid talk of a swap deal involving Inter defender Milan Skriniar.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.