Benzema defends Giroud jibe: I was simply telling the truth

By Sports Desk March 30, 2020

Karim Benzema said he "simply told the truth" with his jibe at French compatriot Olivier Giroud.

Real Madrid striker Benzema said "don't confuse Formula One with karting" when asked on Instagram live about comparisons to Chelsea centre-forward Giroud.

Giroud has filled the void left by Benzema's continued international exile, which dates back to 2015, helping France to World Cup glory in 2018.

Benzema sought to clarify his comments on Monday, stating that he had also talked up Giroud's strengths and adding that the same comparison could be used between himself and ex-Brazil superstar Ronaldo.

However, Benzema doubled down with his assessment.

Speaking on Instagram, he said: "About Giroud, I simply told the truth. 

"But we didn't remember what I said about him, especially about what he brings to the French national team. 

"We just remembered the moment when I said I was F1 and he was karting. That's what I think, that's the truth, and that's how it is. 

"Because now, if you ask me with R9 (Ronaldo): R9 is F1, and I am karting. That's the way it is. We're going to move on."

Benzema scored 27 goals in 81 international appearances for France, while Giroud is third on the all-time list with 39 from 97 matches.

Prior to coronavirus postponing the likes of LaLiga, the Premier League and Euro 2020, Benzema had scored 19 goals across all competitions for Zinedine Zidane's Madrid in 2019-20.

Related items

  • Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid

    Southampton have completed the signing of centre-back Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid for a reported £10.9million (€12m).

    The 21-year-old, who made 32 appearances for Valladolid in all competitions in 2019-20, has signed a four-year deal at St Mary's Stadium.

    Salisu is Southampton's second signing of the close season following the arrival of Kyle Walker-Peters from Tottenham on Tuesday.

    Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid were all linked with the highly rated defender, but he is pleased to have joined Ralph Hasenhuttl's side.

    "It is a very good feeling to be a Southampton player. I am very happy to be part of the club and I am looking forward to starting here," Salisu said in a Southampton statement.

    "Southampton is a club with a very rich history in developing young players, so it is a very good club for me to develop my skills and to learn a lot as a young player.

    "I know that the team expects a lot from me and I'm going to try to give all I can to help the team."

    Southampton finished 11th in the Premier League last season and are looking to rebuild, having also sold midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg to Tottenham for £20m.

    Hasenhuttl is pleased with his latest capture and is expecting Salisu to slot straight into the side. 

    "This is an important signing for us, Mohammed is a player who fits our profile well," the Austrian said.

    "He is young and has a great amount of potential, but he is also someone who has the qualities to come in and help the team as soon as he is up to speed with our way of playing.

    "I like what I have seen of him so far in his games with Valladolid. He is strong defensively, is calm with the ball - something that is important in our team - and he has good speed too.

    "I think he will fit in well with us and that this will be a good place for him to develop his game further. We have some good centre-backs here and this will be another strong option for us."

  • Odegaard recalled by Real Madrid after Real Sociedad loan Odegaard recalled by Real Madrid after Real Sociedad loan

    Real Sociedad have confirmed midfielder Martin Odegaard has been recalled by Real Madrid ahead of the new LaLiga season.

    Odegaard joined Sociedad last year on a deal that ran for two seasons, although the second had to be ratified this year due to Spanish football regulations.

    It was reported by ESPN that Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane decided he wanted the player at his disposal for 2020-21 following their Champions League exit at the hands of Manchester City.

    Sociedad announced on Wednesday that the Norway star will be heading back to the Santiago Bernabeu after an "unforgettable season" in the Basque country.

    "His goals, his football, his character, his effort and his humility have ensured Martin will be remembered with immense affection by all the Real family," the club said in a statement.

    Odegaard said he had been "made to feel like just like a player from the youth team" during a hugely encouraging spell with the club.

    The 21-year-old was one of the standout performers for La Real during their challenge for a Champions League place, although a poor run of results after the season resumed in June saw them finish sixth in LaLiga.

    Odegaard scored four goals and assisted a further six in 31 league appearances in 2019-20.

    Zidane is thought to be eager to bolster his midfield options for next term, but Madrid are not expected to make many signings in the off-season due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test

    Jean-Clair Todibo is the Barcelona player who has tested positive for coronavirus, the defender revealed on social media.

    Earlier on Wednesday, the Blaugrana revealed one of their nine players in pre-season training had returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The group - mainly consisting of fringe players - had been kept separate from the first team ahead of their Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich, meaning that match was not impacted.

    Although Barca did not confirm the identity of the coronavirus case, Todibo took to Twitter to inform supporters of his diagnosis.

    "Hello everyone," he wrote. "I inform you that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am asymptomatic and I feel fine.

    "I am at home following the proper health protocol. I really want to go back to training, but now it's time to stay home until the virus is over.

    "Thank you all for the support, and encouragement to all the people who are also experiencing it closely."

    Todibo joined Barca from Toulouse in January 2019 but has since made just five appearances for the club in all competitions.

    The 20-year-old spent the second half of the 2019-20 season on loan at Schalke but again struggled to secure regular minutes, making only four Bundesliga starts.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.