EPL

Chelsea forward Pedro not thinking about future

By Sports Desk March 25, 2020

Pedro may be out of contract at Chelsea soon, but the World Cup winner insisted he has not "stopped to think" about his future.

The 32-year-old, who moved to Stamford Bridge in 2015, has only played in nine Premier League games this term and was due to be a free agent in four months once the current campaign concludes.

However, the suspension of the Premier League due to the coronavirus pandemic means it remains uncertain when the 2019-20 season will finish.

With that in mind, Pedro stressed thoughts of what's next in his career have not entered his mind.

"I finish the contract but right now it is not the most important thing, nor have I stopped to think about it," Pedro told Cadena Ser.

"From there, what has to do with my future will come, but right now it is not the most important thing when you don't even know when you are going to train again."

Spain international Pedro has donated 3,000 protective screens for hospitals in his native country, which has been one of the worst hit by the COVID-19 outbreak.

There have been almost 50,000 confirmed cases in Spain and nearly 3,500 deaths.

"The materials are a little scarce and everything that can be helped is welcome," Pedro added.

"They have told us from the hospitals that [the protective screens] are a good resource for them.

"We wanted to contribute with these protective screens."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Serie A clubs unanimously in favour of up to one-third pay cut for players Coronavirus: Serie A clubs unanimously in favour of up to one-third pay cut for players

    Serie A clubs are unanimously in favour of cutting player wages by up to a third in an attempt to ease the financial strain caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Italy's top flight was suspended indefinitely last month due to the spread of the virus, and authorities have insisted they will not even consider resuming action until it is safe to do so.

    Only the United States and Spain have been impacted more heavily by COVID-19 than Italy, which has confirmed 128,000 cases and almost 16,000 deaths – a worldwide high.

    With the suspension preventing clubs from taking in gate receipts and other streams of revenue, they are being impacted financially.

    League-wide pay cuts for players and coaching staff had been mooted, particularly since Juventus implemented their own such measures last week, and Serie A has now confirmed all clubs have agreed to act.

    A statement read: "The situation needs the entire system to be responsible, with the clubs ready to play their part while facing huge losses in order to guarantee Italian football's future.

    "These losses will have to be minimal because a reduction of costs will be implemented, when most of the costs are represented by salaries.

    "Coherently with all the actions undertaken at national and international level, Lega Serie A has decided unanimously, excluding Juventus - who have already agreed such salary cut with their own players - a common line to reduce the impact of wages of players and managers of the first-team squads.

    "This reduction, necessary to save the future of football, will be of one-third lump sum (as much as four months' salary) if football doesn't start over again or of one-sixth (as much as two months' salary) if we can finish the 2019-20 season. It goes without saying that it will be the clubs discussing the terms with their employees.

    "Lega Serie A is monitoring the situation along with FIGC [Italian Football Federation], UEFA and ECA [European Clubs Association]. The will to finish the season has been communicated, but only without any risks as of when sanitary conditions and governments decree will allow it.

    "Today's assembly has analysed the recommendations of the Italian Sporting Medical Federation on the training session restart at the present time. Within the end of this week the FIGC will issue the norms about it."

  • Coronavirus: Season should be voided if Premier League cannot restart, says Luke Shaw Coronavirus: Season should be voided if Premier League cannot restart, says Luke Shaw

    Voiding the Premier League season is the only course of action if the fixtures cannot be fulfilled, according to Manchester United defender Luke Shaw.

    The Premier League, like almost every other league throughout Europe, is on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic, leaving Liverpool 25 points clear in pursuit of a first top-flight title in 30 years.

    It was confirmed last week that the season will not resume in May, with no return date specified as the United Kingdom fights to contain the spread of the virus.

    Dates are now available for club football to be played in June and July after Euro 2020 and the Copa America were postponed by a year.

    However, Shaw believes the campaign should be scrapped if a way to restart cannot be found.

    "Scrap it and start again," said Shaw, speaking on a Twitch stream of a FIFA 20 competition for Unicef's Combat Corona fundraiser.

    "Start it again. If we can't carry it on, it's got to be void."

    Liverpool need just six points to win the title, but they are not the only club who would miss out in the event of the season being expunged.

    It would also prevent United from qualifying for the Champions League. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are three points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea, but fifth would be enough to qualify if Manchester City's ban from the competition is upheld.

    United were on an 11-game unbeaten run in all competitions when the season was suspended, with Shaw adding: "That's why we were disappointed, because we were really confident and results were going our way but the most important thing is the lives."

    Shaw is not a fan of the idea of playing the remaining games behind closed doors, as United did in their Europa League game at LASK, their final outing before the postponement.

    "Fans are so important, you realise it even more [now]," he added. "I think the sport is for fans really... I think if you don't have fans, and you don't play in front of fans, it just doesn't feel right.

    "Especially on matchday, the fans are always amazing and always help the team. Whether it's home or even away, our fans are always brilliant and I feel like they're always there with us."

  • Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.