Wolfsburg 0-0 RB Leipzig: Nagelsmann's men draw frustrating blank

By Sports Desk March 07, 2020

RB Leipzig missed out on the chance to pull level with Bayern Munich at the top of the Bundesliga as they were held to a 0-0 draw at Wolfsburg.

It meant a second consecutive draw for Julian Nagelsmann's side at a pivotal stage of the title race, after they were held 1-1 by Bayer Leverkusen last weekend.

Wolfsburg made most of the running during the first half, although Angelino wasted a glorious chance to put the visitors ahead in the 36th minute.

Leipzig grew into the game after the restart – Yussuf Poulsen lashing over in the 55th minute before making way for Timo Werner.

Before the match, Nagelsmann explained he benched Werner because his star forward had only been able to train once over the past two weeks, and the Germany international was unable to inspire a late winner, despite Christopher Nkunku's 85th-minute effort leaving Wolfsburg goalkeeper Koen Casteels needing treatment for a hand injury.

Leipzig are back in action on Tuesday, when they will aim to press home a 1-0 first-leg advantage over Tottenham in the Champions League last 16, by which stage they could be five adrift domestically. Bayern host fellow Bavarians Augsburg on Sunday.

Related items

  • Werner 'won't get any cheaper' amid Liverpool links, says RB Leipzig chief Werner 'won't get any cheaper' amid Liverpool links, says RB Leipzig chief

    RB Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff insisted Timo Werner "won't get any cheaper" amid reports linking the forward with Liverpool.

    Werner, 24, is reportedly a target for the Premier League leaders after scoring 30 goals in 39 games in all competitions this season.

    According to reports, the Germany international has a release clause of around £49.4million (€55m) that must be triggered by June 15, but Liverpool are said to be unwilling to meet that price.

    Mintzlaff, however, said there was no way Werner, who is contracted at the Bundesliga club until 2023, would be any cheaper.

    "It won't get any cheaper. We will not sell a player below value if he is under contract for more than a year," he told Sport Bild.

    "In general, we always have to ask the following question – can we replace a player if we sell him for less than his market value?

    "But, I only think about those things once I have the facts on the table."

  • Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney

    Watford captain Troy Deeney believes the integrity of the Premier League season is "already gone" and said the coronavirus pandemic has spoiled Liverpool's dominance.

    Liverpool held a 25-point lead atop the Premier League table when the campaign was suspended in March due to COVID-19.

    While the Premier League is bidding to restart its season, Deeney has spoken about his health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    And the 31-year-old forward feels for Liverpool because their dominant season has been spoiled.

    "I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone," Deeney told CNN.

    "I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

    "But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic.

    "It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it's 30 years they haven't won for."

    Liverpool had won 27 of 29 Premier League games this season, with one draw and a loss to Deeney's relegation-threatened Watford, who ended their 'Invincibles' bid.

    But Deeney said the integrity of this Premier League campaign had been ruined.

    "I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson, captain], but in terms of integrity, there's no way you could say that this is a viable competition," he said.

    "It's like running a marathon, 20-odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: 'Ah, that was a good time that.'"

  • LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president

    Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.

    The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.

    But Gaspart, who was Barca president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barca, via AS, on Wednesday.

    While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.

    "I would love to see Neymar at Barca. I understand that he can still contribute," he said.

    "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barca."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.