Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players

By Sports Desk February 27, 2020

Liverpool have announced pre-tax profits of £42million for the financial period ending May 31, 2019, despite a club-record spend on players.

The club's turnover increased by £78m to £533m thanks to rises in media, commercial and match revenue.

A new Champions League broadcasting deal and the team's second-place finish in the Premier League under Jurgen Klopp last year also boosted profits.

Their Champions League triumph in 2018-19 is expected to be included in the next set of financial results.

The positive figures come despite a club-record £223m spend on the signings of Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri, as well as 11 new contracts for established first-team players.

Liverpool, who became champions of Europe for the sixth time last June, are seventh in the Deloitte Football Money League, a rise of two places from the previous financial year.

Andy Hughes, Liverpool's chief operating officer, said via the club's website: "This continued strengthening of the underlying financial sustainability of the club is enabling us to make significant investments both in player recruitment and infrastructure.

"Being able to reinvest over £220m on players during this financial period is a result of a successful business strategy, particularly the significant uplift in commercial revenues.

"The cost of football, however, does continue to rise in transfers and associated fees but what's critical for us is the consistency of our financial position, enabling us to live within our means and continue to run a sustainable football club."

The club have also boasted of six million more social media engagements than any other Premier League club during the 2018-19 season, while they say investment in the new training base at Kirkby and further planned expansion of Anfield is testament to the support of owners Fenway Sport Group.

"What we're seeing is sustained growth across all areas of the club, which is aligned to the recent performance on the pitch," said Hughes. "There is more work to do and, importantly, we will continue our dialogue with all key stakeholders, including local residents, businesses and community groups.

"These financial results and this sustained period of solid growth is testament to our ownership, Fenway Sport Group, who continue to support the club's ambitions and continue to reinvest revenues both in strengthening the playing squad and the club's infrastructure to build for the future."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall

    England's Football Association (FA) has announced up to 30 per cent temporary pay cuts for its highest earners and proposed staff paid more than £50,000 yearly accept a reduction to mitigate financial issues caused the coronavirus pandemic.

    COVID-19 has claimed the lives of over 70,000 people worldwide since its emergence in China late last year, impacting everyday life for almost everyone on the planet.

    Top-level sport has consequently been interrupted and the knock-on effect of that is financial strain on leagues, clubs and governing bodies.

    Some Premier League clubs have taken advantage of the United Kingdom government's furlough scheme, which allows members of the workforce affected by the pandemic to claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the state.

    The FA is yet to follow suit, with the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool attracting widespread criticism for using the scheme, instead proposing staff earning more than £50,000 a year accept a reduction of 7.5 per cent, while the highest earners – including the likes of England manager Gareth Southgate – face a cut of up to 30 per cent as the organisation predicts a financial impact that could exceed £150million.

    A statement from FA CEO Mark Bullingham read: "We've taken an immediate and significant financial impact due to the postponement of England internationals, FA Cup matches and Wembley events, and there is currently no clear timescale on when they will return.

    "The total financial impact is currently forecast to be around £100m, but it could easily exceed £150m depending on the duration of the government's necessary medical measures.

    "Along with many other organisations across the country, we are currently reviewing our financial model during this challenging period. We want to take prudent and appropriate steps to help protect and support the FA and our employees during this unpredictable time.

    "We are proposing that all employees earning £50,000 or more per annum will take a temporary pay reduction of 7.5 per cent. In the spirit of those on higher salaries taking the greater responsibility, the senior management team have agreed to cut their pay by 15 per cent with the highest earners in the organisation agreeing to reduce their pay by up to 30 per cent.

    "We are also looking into what options are available to us through the government's furlough scheme as a contingency plan, while we continue to plan for the return of football, once it is safe to do so.

    "These are extraordinary and challenging times and we do not take these decisions lightly. However, as an organisation we will support each other as best we can."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.