EPL

Klopp: Liverpool success helps and hinders with transfers

By Sports Desk February 23, 2020

Jurgen Klopp admitted success helped Champions League titleholders Liverpool attract players, but it also made completing signings harder.

While they hold a 19-point lead atop the Premier League, Liverpool have been linked with moves for numerous players, including RB Leipzig star Timo Werner.

Klopp is unfazed by suggestions his team are the world's best, but said it could help with signings.

"It's easier if players see you as that. If they see you are successful, it's easier to get into talks with players," he told UK newspapers.

"But on the other side, it's more difficult the better your team is because they ask questions like, 'where and when would I play?'

"We need players who want to be part of this, who want to fight for their spot, who want to make the next step together with us, who want to develop and improve so that's it.

"We have these players and whoever wants to join us needs to have exactly this kind of attitude."

Liverpool are still unbeaten in the Premier League ahead of hosting West Ham at Anfield on Monday.

Klopp said finding the right players to add to his side, who were Champions League winners last season, was difficult.

"The age group of the team is good in the moment. In two or three years, maybe it'll be different but for the moment, it's good," he said.

"It depends on what you want. Is it a good age for selling? Probably not. But is it a good age for performing? Yes.

"So there are a lot of things we have to think about. It's an interesting period."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Premier League clubs approve return to contact training Coronavirus: Premier League clubs approve return to contact training

    Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to resume contact training in groups.

    The British government gave teams the green light to recommence "competitive" training earlier in the week, with authorities gearing up for a potential return of Premier League match action following a hiatus of more than two months due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    On Wednesday, all clubs agreed to the implementation of Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol.

    A Premier League statement read: "Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to resume contact training – marking another step towards restarting the Premier League season, when safe to do so.

    "Squads are now able to train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising any unnecessary close contact.

    "The Premier League's priority is the health and wellbeing of all participants. Strict medical protocols are in place to ensure the training ground is the safest environment possible and players and staff will continue to be tested for COVID-19 twice a week.

    "Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol has been agreed following consultation with clubs, players, managers, the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association], LMA [League Managers' Association] and the government. Discussions are ongoing as work continues towards resuming the season, when conditions allow."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Premier League clubs approve return to contact training BREAKING NEWS: Premier League clubs approve return to contact training

    Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to resume contact training in groups.

  • Juventus signing Kulusevski reveals 'doubts' over Inter boss Conte Juventus signing Kulusevski reveals 'doubts' over Inter boss Conte

    Dejan Kulusevski has revealed he chose Juventus over Inter as he was "in doubt" about working under Antonio Conte.

    The Sweden international agreed to sign for the Serie A champions from Atalanta in January, penning a four-and-a-half-year deal before being loaned back to Parma.

    As well as relishing the prospect of lining up alongside the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala, Kulusevski is also eager to learn from Juve boss Maurizio Sarri.

    And the midfielder drew a direct comparison with Inter coach Conte, who he was not so sure about.

    "[Sarri] was nice. He put me at ease. I knew his Chelsea and his style of play," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

    "That's also why I chose to play for the Bianconeri. 

    "With Conte, the movements are different, the tactical set-up. That was why I was in doubt."

    Reflecting on his arrival at Allianz Stadium, Kulusevski was delighted to be welcomed by Ronaldo among several of his new team-mates.

    "What a thrill that day at the stadium, a unique atmosphere," the 20-year-old said. "And CR7 said to me: 'Welcome Dejan, how are you?'

    "[Gianluigi] Buffon and [Giorgio] Chiellini were nice to me too. An immense joy for a boy who had only seen them on TV.

    "I hope we go far in every competition and above all that we will win the Champions League."

    With Italian football still in a coronavirus-enforced shutdown, Kulusevski will not be able to make his debut until the new season begins but he is looking forward to the challenge.

    "I'm on the right track, I feel stronger every day and ready to face new challenges," he said. "I'm attracted to the idea of testing myself against the best.

    "I go there to learn; I can't wait to link up with Dybala and his magical left foot.

    "In any case, I now know how to play in multiple positions, and I plan to claim my place in Turin too."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.