EPL

Man City players have 'all trust' in club despite Champions League ban, says De Bruyne

By Sports Desk February 19, 2020

Kevin De Bruyne insisted nothing has changed at Manchester City and said the players have "all trust" in the club after they were hit with a Champions League ban.

City were handed a two-season ban from European competition by UEFA last week after being found to have committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

The Premier League champions have denied any wrongdoing and intend to appeal, but speculation has mounted over manager Pep Guardiola and their star players' futures.

De Bruyne starred in a 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham on Wednesday and the playmaker said there was no change at City despite off-field events.

"Obviously we were on holiday when the statement happened. We came back and played football. The situation is what it is," he told Sky Sports.

"We came back and trained like normal and in the end nothing really changed. We just play the games we have, like today when we gave a good performance.

"We still have a lot to play for and let's hope we can find our rhythm as soon as possible and win some titles."

De Bruyne added: "The team give the statement. I don't know what else we can do other than play football. In the end the situation will show what it will show.

"The club is doing its thing and we have all trust in them."

Goals from Rodri and De Bruyne helped City consolidate second place and close the gap to Liverpool to 22 points in their first game since February 2.

De Bruyne felt the break impacted Guardiola's side, who travel to third-placed Leicester City on Saturday.

"It was okay. I think we saw it's been three weeks without football and we felt a little bit of rustiness, but we played a good game," he said.

Related items

  • Pavard dreaming of treble with Bayern Munich Pavard dreaming of treble with Bayern Munich

    Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard said he was dreaming of winning the Champions League to seal a treble this season.

    Hansi Flick's side are on track to win the Bundesliga and are in the DFB-Pokal semi-finals, while they are also in the Champions League last 16.

    Pavard, who only arrived at Bayern from Stuttgart ahead of this season, said he was eyeing a treble.

    "We have a very good squad, we are performing well in the cup and in the Bundesliga," the France international told beIN SPORTS on Sunday.

    "We must continue like this. Bayern must win the championship and the cup every year.

    "And the Champions League, we dream of it and we want to make the treble."

    While Pavard has played 39 games this season, Bayern are reportedly looking for a right-back and plan to use the Frenchman in the centre of defence in the long-term.

    The former Lille man said he was focused on winning titles with Bayern despite talk about his position.

    "I signed for five years at Bayern, I play my matches, I am performing and I will do everything to improve further. And I want to win a lot of titles," Pavard said.

    "I don't know yet what the future holds, we know that in football it can go very quickly, but I don't ask myself many questions."

    Bayern are seven points clear atop the Bundesliga, while they claimed a 3-0 win over Chelsea in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Kean is 'completely different' to Balotelli, says Chiellini Kean is 'completely different' to Balotelli, says Chiellini

    Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini insisted Everton forward Moise Kean was "completely different" to Mario Balotelli.

    Kean left the Serie A champions for Everton last year, with the Premier League side paying £25million (€27.5m) for the Italy forward.

    The 20-year-old had scored just once in 26 appearances for Everton before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, and was dropped in November reportedly for a disciplinary breach.

    Kean was also condemned by Everton in April after an apparent breach of lockdown rules.

    Having previously criticised Brescia forward Balotelli, Chiellini said Kean was nothing like the former Inter and Manchester City man.

    "Balotelli only has the shot. There are those who now compare him with Moise Kean, a boy who appears rebellious and unmanageable, but is completely different from Mario," Chiellini wrote in Io, Giorgio.

    "Of course, in Juventus youth he was punished many times, but when he played in the first team he always showed himself very respectful towards the group.

    "Sometimes he does not hear the alarm and arrives late, but they are behaviours that can be changed without difficulty."

    Kean came through the youth system at Juventus, where he scored eight goals in 21 games before his departure.

  • Depay's return would give Lyon advantage against Juventus – Sylvinho Depay's return would give Lyon advantage against Juventus – Sylvinho

    Lyon will have an advantage against Juventus in the Champions League if Memphis Depay is fit, according to former head coach Sylvinho.

    The Ligue 1 side recorded a surprise 1-0 win over Juve in the first leg of their last-16 tie in February before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Depay, 26, missed that clash after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in December, but is reportedly ready to return to training in June.

    Sylvinho, who was at the helm of Lyon for 11 games last year, believes the attacker's return could give the club the upper-hand.

    "Lyon had a good result at home, but there is also the comeback and playing at Juventus is very difficult," the former Barcelona and Arsenal left-back told Sky Sport on Sunday.

    "I don't know if Depay will be able to return, but if he succeeds, it could make a real difference. He is strong physically and technically and he has character.

    "I like him so much. If he is able then Lyon will have an advantage."

    Depay has scored 14 goals and provided two assists in 18 games this season and his return would be a boost for Lyon, with the Champions League to potentially be completed in August.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.