Ferran Soriano insists alleged Man City FFP breaches are 'simply not true' and rails against UEFA process

By Sports Desk February 19, 2020

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano insists allegations the club broke UEFA Financial Fair Play rules "are simply not true".

Last week, UEFA issued the Premier League champions with a two-season ban from European competition and a €30million fine after its investigation found them guilty of breaking FFP regulations.

UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) said City had "committed serious breaches" of FFP rules by overstating sponsorship revenue between 2012 and 2016 and added the club had failed to cooperate in its investigation.

City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the outcome and promised to appeal against the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Soriano, City CEO since September 2012, spoke on Wednesday to deny the club have received funds from owner Sheikh Mansour that were not "properly declared" and said City did cooperate with the CFCB, delivering "irrefutable evidence" that they committed no wrongdoing.

He also accused the CFCB adjudicatory chamber of being more concerned about "politics" than justice and criticised its reliance on "out-of-context stolen emails" in their investigation. UEFA has declined to respond to Soriano's comments.

"The most important thing I have to say today is that the allegations are not true. They are simply not true," Soriano told City media.

"The owner has not put money in this club that has not been properly declared. We are a sustainable football club, we are profitable, we don't have debt, our accounts have been scrutinised many times, by auditors, by regulators, by investors and this is perfectly clear.

"We did cooperate with this process. We delivered a long list of documents and support that we believe is irrefutable evidence that the claims are not true and it was hard because we did this in the context of information being leaked to the media in the context of feeling that every step of the way, every engagement we had, we felt that we were considered guilty before anything was even discussed, but at the end, this is an internal process that has been initiated and then prosecuted and then judged by this FFP chamber at UEFA.

"Of course, a lot of people come now and say, 'Well, what were you expecting? This is the way it works. You should have expected a negative outcome the way the system is designed'. But we didn't believe that.  We worked very hard. We provided the evidence but in the end this FFP investigatory chamber relied more on out-of-context stolen emails than all the other evidence we provided of what actually happened and I think it is normal that we feel like we feel. Ultimately, based on our experience and our perception, this seems to be less about justice and more about politics.

"We went to CAS mid-process because it was clear to us that we were not having a fair process and we were concerned. We were specifically concerned about the leaks, the constant leak of information. CAS said there was merit in our complaint, they said that the leaks were 'worrisome' and they said they would judge it when process has finished. The process has finished now; we are going to CAS again.

"We are looking for an early resolution obviously through a thorough process and a fair process so my best hope is that this will be finished before the beginning of the summer and until then for us, it is business as usual.

"The experience with this FFP investigatory chamber has been negative for us, more than what I would have imagined. But this is not UEFA. We are not talking about the whole of UEFA, which is an association of associations. I personally know many people that work at UEFA, very hard for the benefit of UEFA, but also for the benefit of the clubs of UEFA like ours, but also for the benefit of football.

"All we are looking for is a proper adjudication in an independent and impartial body that is going to take the time to look at all the evidence and look at it without preconception. I am also looking for the end of this process maybe to put an end under this undertone that we are hearing all the time that anything that we do, any result that we get, is based only on money and not on talent and effort. The hundreds of people that work at this club know this is not true, that it is about effort and talent, so maybe, in the end, this is an opportunity."

The looming Champions League ban has prompted speculation over the futures of City's star players and manager Pep Guardiola, who has only a year left on his contract, but Soriano insists their focus is solely on football.

"Obviously, he has been kept informed about this process but this is not something for him to respond to," he said of Guardiola. "He is focused on the football, he is focusing on the game, the game at hand, the game today, tomorrow and the next weeks. As well as the players. They are calm, they are focused and this matter is more a business matter, a legal matter than a football manner.

"The fans can be sure of two things. The first one is that the allegations are false. And the second is that we will do everything that can be done to prove so. We know the fans are supporting us. We can feel it. Manchester City fans have gone through challenges over the decades. This is just another challenge."

Related items

  • Werner 'won't get any cheaper' amid Liverpool links, says RB Leipzig chief Werner 'won't get any cheaper' amid Liverpool links, says RB Leipzig chief

    RB Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff insisted Timo Werner "won't get any cheaper" amid reports linking the forward with Liverpool.

    Werner, 24, is reportedly a target for the Premier League leaders after scoring 30 goals in 39 games in all competitions this season.

    According to reports, the Germany international has a release clause of around £49.4million (€55m) that must be triggered by June 15, but Liverpool are said to be unwilling to meet that price.

    Mintzlaff, however, said there was no way Werner, who is contracted at the Bundesliga club until 2023, would be any cheaper.

    "It won't get any cheaper. We will not sell a player below value if he is under contract for more than a year," he told Sport Bild.

    "In general, we always have to ask the following question – can we replace a player if we sell him for less than his market value?

    "But, I only think about those things once I have the facts on the table."

  • Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney

    Watford captain Troy Deeney believes the integrity of the Premier League season is "already gone" and said the coronavirus pandemic has spoiled Liverpool's dominance.

    Liverpool held a 25-point lead atop the Premier League table when the campaign was suspended in March due to COVID-19.

    While the Premier League is bidding to restart its season, Deeney has spoken about his health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    And the 31-year-old forward feels for Liverpool because their dominant season has been spoiled.

    "I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone," Deeney told CNN.

    "I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

    "But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic.

    "It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it's 30 years they haven't won for."

    Liverpool had won 27 of 29 Premier League games this season, with one draw and a loss to Deeney's relegation-threatened Watford, who ended their 'Invincibles' bid.

    But Deeney said the integrity of this Premier League campaign had been ruined.

    "I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson, captain], but in terms of integrity, there's no way you could say that this is a viable competition," he said.

    "It's like running a marathon, 20-odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: 'Ah, that was a good time that.'"

  • Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne Juventus signing Kulusevski hoping to emulate De Bruyne

    Juventus signing Dejan Kulusevski hopes he can become as good as Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne.

    Kulusevski, 20, was bought by Juve for €35million in January before being sent back to Parma on loan for the remainder of the season.

    The Swedish attacker said he had watched De Bruyne closely and is hoping he can emulate the Belgium star.

    "He is one of the top five players in the world," Kulusevski told Sky Sport on Wednesday.

    "I study a lot because he is a phenomenal player and because I want to become like [him], but also stronger.

    "Among my habits is to watch many games, because I learn a lot from my colleagues."

    Kulusevski was also linked with a move to Inter before deciding to sign with Juventus.

    The former Atalanta man said Juve coach Maurizio Sarri was one of the key reasons he chose the Serie A champions.

    "One of the reasons why I chose the Bianconeri was Sarri," Kulusevski said.

    "I think I can do very well and learn a lot with him. I watched all his Chelsea games."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.