EPL

Spurs forward Son sidelined with fractured arm

By Sports Desk February 18, 2020

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min will be out for "a number of weeeks" after fracturing his right arm, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.

The South Korea international suffered the blow during Sunday’s 3-2 win at Aston Villa, in which he scored two goals - including a stoppage-time winner.

Spurs revealed that Son will undergo surgery this week, which is a major setback as they prepare for Wednesday’s Champions League last-16 clash with RB Leipzig.

Son will also be absent for a crunch spell of Premier League fixtures, including a London derby with Chelsea on Saturday, as Tottenham bid to secure a Champions League spot.

News of the injury comes as a crushing blow to Spurs boss Jose Mourinho, who has been relying on Son to lead to provide firepower in the continuing absence of Harry Kane.

England captain Kane is battling to return before the end of the season after undergoing surgery on a torn hamstring injury suffered at Southampton on New Year’s Day.

Tottenham revealed in a statement: "Following surgery, our medical staff shall be reviewing management options for Son's rehabilitation with the player expected to be sidelined for a number of weeks."

Mourinho has few options remaining in attack, having not brought in a striker during the January transfer window.

Lucas Moura looks the likeliest player to play in a more advanced role, as Tottenham look to fill the gap left by Son, who has scored 16 goals for the club this season.

Tottenham also have Troy Parrott in their ranks, although the 18-year-old Republic of Ireland international has been used sparingly by Mourinho so far.

Mourinho may also look to the likes of Steven Bergwijn and Dele Alli to move forward.

Fifth-placed Spurs face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge after a first leg at home to Leipzig before a trip to Wolves as the battle for Champions League spots hots up.

They also face Manchester United and Sheffield United next month following the second leg at Leipzig on March 10.

Related items

  • Matic signs new three-year Man Utd contract Matic signs new three-year Man Utd contract

    Nemanja Matic has put pen to paper on a new contract with Manchester United that runs until 2023.

    Serbia international Matic had one year remaining on his previous deal.

    But the club announced on Monday he has been signed to fresh terms following some impressive displays under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    The 31-year-old joined United from Chelsea in 2017 and has made 114 appearances.

    "I am very happy that I will continue to be part of this great club," midfielder Matic said in a statement.

    "As a player, I still have a lot more to give and achieve in my career and to do that with Manchester United will be a huge honour.

    "This is a really exciting team to be part of, we have a good balance of youth and experience within the squad and there is great comradery amongst the group.

    "This is a key part of the season and we are playing well. We will continue to fight to finish the season on a high and make our amazing supporters proud."

    Solskjaer added: "I am delighted that Nemanja has signed a new contract, I know his experience, professionalism and leadership will be invaluable to this young talented group.

    "We have great strength in midfield and Nemanja's attributes are a key part of that. Nemanja has been here for three seasons now and really understands the values of playing for Manchester United.

    "He remains hugely ambitious and determined which will be vital as we look to achieve our aims over the coming years."

    Matic has started each of United's past three Premier League games, helping them extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to 16 matches.

    Solskjaer's side have moved up to fifth in the top flight, three points behind third-place Leicester City in the race for Champions League qualification.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Matic signs new three-year Man Utd contract BREAKING NEWS: Matic signs new three-year Man Utd contract

    Nemanja Matic has put pen to paper on a new contract with Manchester United that runs until 2023.

    Serbia international Matic had one year remaining on his previous deal.

    But the club announced on Monday he has been signed to fresh terms following some impressive displays under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    The 31-year-old joined United from Chelsea in 2017 and has made 114 appearances.

    "I am very happy that I will continue to be part of this great club," midfielder Matic said in a statement.

    "As a player, I still have a lot more to give and achieve in my career and to do that with Manchester United will be a huge honour.

    "This is a really exciting team to be part of, we have a good balance of youth and experience within the squad and there is great comradery amongst the group.

    "This is a key part of the season and we are playing well. We will continue to fight to finish the season on a high and make our amazing supporters proud."

    Solskjaer added: "I am delighted that Nemanja has signed a new contract, I know his experience, professionalism and leadership will be invaluable to this young talented group.

    "We have great strength in midfield and Nemanja's attributes are a key part of that. Nemanja has been here for three seasons now and really understands the values of playing for Manchester United.

    "He remains hugely ambitious and determined which will be vital as we look to achieve our aims over the coming years."

  • They don't have much to celebrate – Mourinho hits back at Arsenal They don't have much to celebrate – Mourinho hits back at Arsenal

    Jose Mourinho hit back at Arsenal after they appeared to mock Tottenham following their loss to Sheffield United.

    Spurs were beaten 3-1 at Bramall Lane on Thursday and Arsenal seemingly took the chance to poke fun at their rivals.

    In a post on Facebook, Arsenal posted highlights of their FA Cup win at Sheffield last month with the caption: "It's not easy beating Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Here's a reminder of how it's done."

    Mikel Arteta's men are seventh in the Premier League, four points ahead of 10th-placed Spurs, and Mourinho slammed Arsenal for the post.

    "If they were top of the league or fighting for top four and in a really good moment, they wouldn't enjoy the problems of others," the Spurs head coach said.

    "You only enjoy the problems of others when you are also in trouble. I think in the end it's a little more about that. They don't have much to celebrate, so they have to take any opportunity to do it. They are in a very similar situation to us in the table.

    "I don't like to connect the club with such posts or tweets because probably the person who did it did it by himself. I don't believe it was Arteta who posted it — probably it was some guy who has been working from home for three months. No problem, at home we will be waiting for them."

    Tottenham face Everton on Monday before matches against Bournemouth and Arsenal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.