EPL

Man Utd can attract world's best players without Champions League, says Solskjaer

By Sports Desk February 16, 2020

Manchester United can attract the world's best players with or without Champions League football, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

United are set to spend heavily at the end of the season as the Red Devils continue to struggle in the Premier League – ninth and 41 points behind leaders Liverpool.

Borussia Dortmund sensation Jadon Sancho, Leicester City's James Maddison and Aston Villa star Jack Grealish are among players being linked to United, who are six points outside the top four.

While acknowledging Champions League qualification makes it easier to sign stars, under-fire boss Solskjaer insisted United still have pulling power.

"The Champions League gives the club more resources, more money, that's one thing," said Solskjaer ahead of Monday's blockbuster trip to Chelsea.

"It's a prestigious tournament to be in, of course.

"But doing as well as we can, and if we play well the rest of the season, and players that we might want are impressed by that, it might be easier to convince them to come here.

"But I don't think one season – this season is the Europa League – if next season is with or without the Champions League, I wouldn't say that's the be-all and end-all for a player to sign for us."

It has been another tough campaign for United, who have only won nine of their 25 Premier League games so far.

United are winless in three games, having only managed one victory from their past five outings in the league.

Prior to the break, United were held to a goalless draw by Wolves as January signing Bruno Fernandes made his highly anticipated debut at Old Trafford.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm Coronavirus: Guardiola's mother dies after contracting COVID-19, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall

    England's Football Association (FA) has announced up to 30 per cent temporary pay cuts for its highest earners and proposed staff paid more than £50,000 yearly accept a reduction to mitigate financial issues caused the coronavirus pandemic.

    COVID-19 has claimed the lives of over 70,000 people worldwide since its emergence in China late last year, impacting everyday life for almost everyone on the planet.

    Top-level sport has consequently been interrupted and the knock-on effect of that is financial strain on leagues, clubs and governing bodies.

    Some Premier League clubs have taken advantage of the United Kingdom government's furlough scheme, which allows members of the workforce affected by the pandemic to claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the state.

    The FA is yet to follow suit, with the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool attracting widespread criticism for using the scheme, instead proposing staff earning more than £50,000 a year accept a reduction of 7.5 per cent, while the highest earners – including the likes of England manager Gareth Southgate – face a cut of up to 30 per cent as the organisation predicts a financial impact that could exceed £150million.

    A statement from FA CEO Mark Bullingham read: "We've taken an immediate and significant financial impact due to the postponement of England internationals, FA Cup matches and Wembley events, and there is currently no clear timescale on when they will return.

    "The total financial impact is currently forecast to be around £100m, but it could easily exceed £150m depending on the duration of the government's necessary medical measures.

    "Along with many other organisations across the country, we are currently reviewing our financial model during this challenging period. We want to take prudent and appropriate steps to help protect and support the FA and our employees during this unpredictable time.

    "We are proposing that all employees earning £50,000 or more per annum will take a temporary pay reduction of 7.5 per cent. In the spirit of those on higher salaries taking the greater responsibility, the senior management team have agreed to cut their pay by 15 per cent with the highest earners in the organisation agreeing to reduce their pay by up to 30 per cent.

    "We are also looking into what options are available to us through the government's furlough scheme as a contingency plan, while we continue to plan for the return of football, once it is safe to do so.

    "These are extraordinary and challenging times and we do not take these decisions lightly. However, as an organisation we will support each other as best we can."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.