Marega hits out at Vitoria fans and referee after suffering alleged racist abuse

By Sports Desk February 16, 2020

Porto striker Moussa Marega walked off after suffering alleged racist abuse at Vitoria Guimaraes and he hit out at their fans and the match officials.

Marega celebrated his 60th-minute goal, which put Porto 2-1 up at Estadio D. Afonso Henriques on Sunday, by pointing to his skin and was subsequently booked by referee Luis Godinho.

Objects were thrown in the direction of the Mali international, who made the decision to leave the pitch 10 minutes later.

Marega's team-mates tried to encourage him to stay on, but he was eventually helped down the tunnel and displayed his middle fingers to the supporters.

After the match, he posted on Instagram: "I would just like say to these idiots who come to the stadium to make racist chants … go f*** yourselves.

"And I also thank the referees for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour.

"I hope I never meet you on a football pitch again! YOU ARE A DISGRACE!!!"

Porto coach Sergio Conceicao said former Vitoria player Marega had been targeted from the warm-up and the club were "indignant" with what occurred.

Vitoria president Miguel Pinto Lisboa condemned the alleged abuse but suggested the 28-year-old did not help himself with his actions.

"At Vitoria we have players of all colours, races and creeds. We promote gender and race quality in sport and do not engage in behaviours that may harm that," he said.

"If any Vitoria supporter behaved this way we will take appropriate action, but it seems to me there were also provocative actions intended to stoke the fire.

"The player's attitude was visible on the television cameras."

Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) president Fernando Gomes said in a statement: "Racist behaviour is intolerable in an open and evolved society.

"The perpetrators of racist insults must be identified and brought to justice. The Portuguese Football Federation repudiates racist behaviour, wherever it comes from and wherever it occurs.

"On Sunday, Moussa Marega was the target of racist insults that cannot fail to be severely punished, in a serious and condemnable incident.

"The Portuguese Football Federation expresses its solidarity with Moussa Marega. As the FPF president I assure you I will continue to do everything so that fans who do not respect football are definitively outside the stadium. This is an urgent fight for the whole society."

Related items

  • Guardiola expects Fernandinho to be out for up to six weeks in latest injury blow Guardiola expects Fernandinho to be out for up to six weeks in latest injury blow

    Pep Guardiola is expecting captain Fernandinho to be out of action for between four to six weeks after the midfielder sustained another injury in Manchester City's win over Porto.

    The Brazil international was brought on in the 85th minute of Wednesday's Group C clash at the Etihad Stadium but failed to see out the game after pulling up with a suspected leg injury.

    He has suffered several muscle issues in recent seasons, seeing him sit out 15 games two seasons ago as City won a clean sweep of domestic honours.

    And Guardiola, who was also without Gabriel Jesus, Nathan Ake, Benjamin Mendy, Kevin De Bruyne and Aymeric Laporte against Porto, is predicting another lay-off for the versatile midfielder.

    "It is bad news. It is in the place he was injured before," Guardiola told BT Sport. "He will be out a long time. It's happened."

    Fernandinho has made 228 Premier League appearances for City since joining the club in 2013, often filling in as an auxiliary centre-back in recent times.

    Providing a further update at his post-match news conference, Guardiola added: "It will be four to six weeks. It's a big blow as we have a run of games ahead and no people there."

    However, Guardiola delivered more positive news on the fitness of De Bruyne and Laporte, with the key pair possibly in contention for Saturday's league trip to West Ham.

    "I think Kevin and Laporte start training tomorrow but I don't know how they will be tomorrow and the next days so we will see," he said.

    "Unfortunately people came back and now we have lost another but it is really important to come back. 

    "In three days we go to London and after we travel to France to play against Marseille and then Sheffield [United] three days after.

    "The schedules are so demanding and we need all the players."

    City trailed to Luis Diaz's impressive early solo strike against Portuguese champions Porto but soon hit back through Sergio Aguero's penalty, awarded for Pepe's sloppy challenge on Raheem Sterling.

    Ilkay Gundogan then put his side in front with a dipping free-kick and substitute Ferran Torres added a third 17 minutes from time as the hosts made a winning start to their 10th successive Champions League campaign.

    "This is a good start for us. The last 10-15 minutes of the first half and the start of the second we played well," Guardiola said.

    "Obviously we concede the first goal so it was even more difficult to come back. In periods we played quite well and in periods we can still improve. 

    "So at the end the most important thing is we have the three points and started well to the competition."

    Gundogan's stunning free-kick was the turning point in the contest, the German midfielder sending his effort up and over the wall as Guardiola was preparing to replace him.

    "I'm glad he didn't [make the substitution]!" Gundogan told BT Sport. "I was quite sure he was going to take me off but saw there was an opportunity for me so thankfully he didn't sub me.

    "I have to admit I don't practice it a lot but there are certain distances I feel comfortable with a free-kick. 

    "That was the perfect distance for me. I had a little discussion with Raheem and I was quite confident to take it. Thanks to him for allowing me to take it. Obviously I'm very happy I could score."

  • Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger

    Lionel Messi is preventing Antoine Griezmann from expressing himself at Barcelona as the Frenchman continues to be overshadowed by the superstar captain, according to Arsene Wenger.

    Griezmann arrived from LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid in a blockbuster €120million transfer last year but he has struggled to establish himself alongside Messi at Camp Nou.

    An unused substitute in Barca's 5-1 Champions League rout of Ferencvaros on Tuesday, Griezmann has failed to score in four LaLiga appearances this season – only managing one shot on target without creating a single chance.

    While Messi has just one league goal, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner has registered seven shots on target and created six chances for his team-mates.

    Former Arsenal manager Wenger believes France international Griezmann is being hindered by Messi's presence in his preferred central attacking position.

    "Not playing at his position is complicated in the long term," Wenger told beIN SPORTS.  

    "At the start, the guy accepts it but, if he does not meet his needs in the long term and he feels that the position does not allow him to express his qualities, he will become discouraged.

    "Today, he is a player who must play in the centre because he has a great work rate, a precision in his passes. 

    "He can be dangerous with the last pass and by scoring goals, but there is congestion because he is in the range of play of Messi."

    In his first season with Barca last time out, Griezmann scored nine goals, supplied four assists and created 33 chances in 35 LaLiga appearances.

    Griezmann finished 2019-20 with 15 goals in all competitions – a tumultuous campaign which saw Barca dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    The 29-year-old scored 133 goals in 257 games for Atletico between 2014 and 2019.

  • Manchester City 3-1 Porto: Guardiola's men recover after Diaz's individual brilliance Manchester City 3-1 Porto: Guardiola's men recover after Diaz's individual brilliance

    Substitute Ferran Torres was among the scorers as Manchester City earned a 3-1 comeback win against Porto in Wednesday's Champions League opener after Luis Diaz's impressive solo strike.

    City were eliminated at the quarter-final stage for the third year running last season and their latest attempt at winning the competition got off to a somewhat shaky start at the Etihad Stadium.

    Diaz profited from some poor defending to race through and open the scoring but the Portuguese champions were pegged back after Pepe gave away a penalty from which Sergio Aguero converted, ending his longest goalscoring drought of 231 days.

    Ilkay Gundogan scored a set-piece of his own with a dipping free-kick and close-seasonTorres netted five minutes after being brought off the bench as City turned the game on its head to make a winning start to their Group C campaign.

    Porto had failed to score in their previous seven away encounters with English clubs in Europe but had to wait just 14 minutes for that drought to end.

    Diaz embarked on an impressive solo run that saw him carry the ball from 45 yards out, evade a number of half-hearted challenges and drill a precise shot past Ederson.

    City were given a chance to hit back six minutes later, however, as Pepe clattered into Raheem Sterling moments after Gundogan struck the outside of the post.

    The penalty was awarded after a lengthy VAR check for a possible Gundogan foul on Agustin Marchesin, who got a hand to Aguero's spot-kick but could not keep it out.

    Mateus Uribe fired over following a poor pass from Ederson and Kyle Walker hooked the ball off the line to spare Ruben Dias' blushes as Porto ended the first half on top.

    The visitors dropped off slightly after the break and were undone in the 65th minute by Gundogan's set-piece brilliance, the Germany midfielder lifting the ball up and over the wall after being fouled by Fabio Vieira.

    The game was put out of Porto's reach when Torres played a one-two with fellow substitute Phil Foden and crashed past Marchesin.

    Following a scuffle between Sterling and Pepe, who had a running battle throughout, Rodri went close to adding a fourth late on as Marchesin pushed his 30-yarder onto the post.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.