Thiago Silva relishing the chance to face Haaland in Champions League

By Sports Desk February 16, 2020

Paris Saint-Germain are determined to stop Erling Haaland continuing his scoring streak when they come up against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, according to Thiago Silva.

Haaland has made an outstanding start to his Dortmund career, managing nine goals in six games across all competitions since joining from Salzburg in January.

The teenage sensation is likely to face off against Ligue 1 champions PSG in the first leg of a blockbuster last-16 tie at Signal Iduna Park on Tuesday.

PSG centre-back Silva acknowledged the quality possessed by Haaland and is relishing the chance to test himself against one of European football's brightest prospects.

"He scores a lot of goals," Silva told RMC Sport after PSG's enthralling 4-4 draw with Amiens on Saturday. "Nine goals in six games, it's incredible, it's huge.

"I hope that we will be able to be cautious and that he will not score against us, but rather after in the league.

"But for us it's wonderful to play against a player like that, especially since he's just started his career. He is very motivated, but so are PSG."

On the tie itself, the Brazilian added: "Are we afraid? We have no fear, but we have a lot of respect. I saw the match [against Eintracht Frankfurt], they have a lot of quality in front, they scored four goals, with incredible technique, movements that are difficult to fight."

PSG boast devastating attacking talent of their own and could be boosted by the return of Neymar, who has not featured since February 1 due to a rib injury.

Head coach Thomas Tuchel said he would take a decision on Neymar's involvement on Sunday and Silva expects his compatriot to be involved in the first leg.

"It is good, it is good. He had a good week of preparation," he said. "The coach and the medical staff could see his form. Tuesday, I'm sure he will be there."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Season should be voided if Premier League cannot restart, says Luke Shaw Coronavirus: Season should be voided if Premier League cannot restart, says Luke Shaw

    Voiding the Premier League season is the only course of action if the fixtures cannot be fulfilled, according to Manchester United defender Luke Shaw.

    The Premier League, like almost every other league throughout Europe, is on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic, leaving Liverpool 25 points clear in pursuit of a first top-flight title in 30 years.

    It was confirmed last week that the season will not resume in May, with no return date specified as the United Kingdom fights to contain the spread of the virus.

    Dates are now available for club football to be played in June and July after Euro 2020 and the Copa America were postponed by a year.

    However, Shaw believes the campaign should be scrapped if a way to restart cannot be found.

    "Scrap it and start again," said Shaw, speaking on a Twitch stream of a FIFA 20 competition for Unicef's Combat Corona fundraiser.

    "Start it again. If we can't carry it on, it's got to be void."

    Liverpool need just six points to win the title, but they are not the only club who would miss out in the event of the season being expunged.

    It would also prevent United from qualifying for the Champions League. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are three points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea, but fifth would be enough to qualify if Manchester City's ban from the competition is upheld.

    United were on an 11-game unbeaten run in all competitions when the season was suspended, with Shaw adding: "That's why we were disappointed, because we were really confident and results were going our way but the most important thing is the lives."

    Shaw is not a fan of the idea of playing the remaining games behind closed doors, as United did in their Europa League game at LASK, their final outing before the postponement.

    "Fans are so important, you realise it even more [now]," he added. "I think the sport is for fans really... I think if you don't have fans, and you don't play in front of fans, it just doesn't feel right.

    "Especially on matchday, the fans are always amazing and always help the team. Whether it's home or even away, our fans are always brilliant and I feel like they're always there with us."

  • Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm Guardiola's mother dies after contracting coronavirus, Man City confirm

    Pep Guardiola's mother has died aged 82 after contracting coronavirus, Manchester City have confirmed.

    Dolors Sala Carrio passed away in Barcelona on Monday, with the club releasing a statement on their official Twitter account.

    It read: "The Manchester City family are devastated to report the death today of Pep's mother Dolors Sala Carrio in Manresa, Barcelona after contracting coronavirus. She was 82 years old.

    "Everyone associated with the club sends their most heartfelt sympathy at this most distressing time to Pep, his family and all their friends."

    Guardiola was reported to have returned home to Spain before the country was put on lockdown in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19.

    He made a €1million donation to the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation last month, with a view to boosting investment in medical equipment in Catalonia.

    Spain has been affected by COVID-19 more than any other European country, with over 135,000 confirmed cases as of Monday.

    More than 13,000 people have lost their lives after contracting the virus, which emerged in China late last year.

  • Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall Coronavirus: English FA announces temporary pay cuts for staff amid potential £150m shortfall

    England's Football Association (FA) has announced up to 30 per cent temporary pay cuts for its highest earners and proposed staff paid more than £50,000 yearly accept a reduction to mitigate financial issues caused the coronavirus pandemic.

    COVID-19 has claimed the lives of over 70,000 people worldwide since its emergence in China late last year, impacting everyday life for almost everyone on the planet.

    Top-level sport has consequently been interrupted and the knock-on effect of that is financial strain on leagues, clubs and governing bodies.

    Some Premier League clubs have taken advantage of the United Kingdom government's furlough scheme, which allows members of the workforce affected by the pandemic to claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the state.

    The FA is yet to follow suit, with the likes of Tottenham and Liverpool attracting widespread criticism for using the scheme, instead proposing staff earning more than £50,000 a year accept a reduction of 7.5 per cent, while the highest earners – including the likes of England manager Gareth Southgate – face a cut of up to 30 per cent as the organisation predicts a financial impact that could exceed £150million.

    A statement from FA CEO Mark Bullingham read: "We've taken an immediate and significant financial impact due to the postponement of England internationals, FA Cup matches and Wembley events, and there is currently no clear timescale on when they will return.

    "The total financial impact is currently forecast to be around £100m, but it could easily exceed £150m depending on the duration of the government's necessary medical measures.

    "Along with many other organisations across the country, we are currently reviewing our financial model during this challenging period. We want to take prudent and appropriate steps to help protect and support the FA and our employees during this unpredictable time.

    "We are proposing that all employees earning £50,000 or more per annum will take a temporary pay reduction of 7.5 per cent. In the spirit of those on higher salaries taking the greater responsibility, the senior management team have agreed to cut their pay by 15 per cent with the highest earners in the organisation agreeing to reduce their pay by up to 30 per cent.

    "We are also looking into what options are available to us through the government's furlough scheme as a contingency plan, while we continue to plan for the return of football, once it is safe to do so.

    "These are extraordinary and challenging times and we do not take these decisions lightly. However, as an organisation we will support each other as best we can."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.