EPL

Wolves 0-0 Leicester City: VAR rules out Boly header in stalemate

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Willy Boly had a first-half goal disallowed by VAR as Wolves drew 0-0 with 10-man Leicester City at Molineux.

The hosts thought they had gone ahead on the stroke of half-time when Boly headed in following a short-corner routine, but the Foxes earned a reprieve when replays appeared to show Pedro Neto was marginally offside before he whipped the ball across.

Wolves had a numerical advantage for the final 14 minutes when Choudhury collected a second yellow card for bringing down Leander Dendoncker after he had slipped.

However, the hosts could not make their numerical advantage count, Raul Jimenez heading wide when unmarked eight yards out in stoppage time, with Wolves moving up to seventh and Leicester staying third.

Related items

  • Leeds United 5-0 Stoke City: Bielsa's men go top and close in on promotion Leeds United 5-0 Stoke City: Bielsa's men go top and close in on promotion

    Leeds United thrashed relegation-threatened Stoke City 5-0 to go top of the Championship and take another significant step towards promotion.

    Marcelo Bielsa's men looked like having nothing to show for a dominant first half until Tommy Smith scythed through Helder Costa to give away a 45th-minute penalty that Mateusz Klich converted.

    Costa latched on to Stuart Dallas' fine throughball to double the advantage two minutes into the second half and Liam Cooper opened his body to brilliantly finish a cutback from substitute Pablo Hernandez before the hour.

    Hernandez struck from outside the box to get in on the act and Patrick Bamford crowned a glorious team move in stoppage time to edge Leeds a point above West Brom at the summit with four games remaining, while Stoke are a point above the drop zone – their goal difference having taken a hammering.

    Leeds need a maximum of seven points from their remaining four fixtures to end a 16-year absence from the Premier League.

  • Man City, Barcelona and Juventus can host Champions League last-16 ties Man City, Barcelona and Juventus can host Champions League last-16 ties

    Manchester City, Juventus and Barcelona will have home advantage for the crucial second legs of their Champions League last-16 ties after a UEFA ruling on Thursday.

    Their respective clashes against Real Madrid, Lyon and Napoli are all on a knife edge after tight first games.

    There had been talk of the return games possibly being played on neutral territory, as European football's governing body deals with how to finish its 2019-20 competitions amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

    The Champions League will be played to a conclusion in Portugal from the quarter-final stage onwards, and the Europa League will conclude similarly with its final rounds being played in Germany, with each competition aiming to complete by the end of August.

    UEFA said it considered the "principle of sporting fairness" in reaching its decision regarding the last-16 ties that had started but were unresolved in each competition.

    That means Manchester City will defend their 2-1 lead over Real Madrid at the Etihad Stadium, Juventus will welcome Lyon to Turin, chasing a deficit after losing 1-0 to the French side in the first game, and Barcelona and Napoli will play again at Camp Nou after a 1-1 draw in Italy.

    Bayern Munich, who lead Chelsea 3-0 after a successful trip to London, will take on Frank Lampard's side at the Allianz Arena.

    The same rule will apply in the Europa League, although two last-16 ties in that competition have yet to begin and have been moved to Germany, where they will be played as single-leg fixtures, with Inter facing Getafe and Sevilla playing Roma.

    UEFA said in a statement: "Consistent with the principle of sporting fairness and considering that current conditions - all clubs due to play at home the return leg of the round of 16 are currently playing the remaining matches of their domestic leagues in their own stadiums and that travelling is possible without restrictions for the visiting clubs – the UEFA executive committee decided that the remaining UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League round of 16 second-leg matches will be played at the home teams' stadiums.

    "UEFA will continue to monitor the situation and reserves the right to reassign any such matches to the venues of the final tournament of the relevant competition should new events occur that would make it impossible to play one or more matches at the original venues."

    UEFA said it would announce fixture details after Friday's quarter-final draws at its Swiss headquarters.

    The governing body also said all its matches would be played behind closed doors until further notice.

    "UEFA will monitor the evolution of the situation and advise on any full or partial lifting of restrictions at the appropriate time," its statement added.

  • Coronavirus: Nashville follow Dallas in exiting MLS is Back after positive tests Coronavirus: Nashville follow Dallas in exiting MLS is Back after positive tests

    Nashville SC have become the second club to be withdrawn from the MLS is Back Tournament after nine positive tests for coronavirus following their arrival in Orlando, Florida.

    Nashville - playing their first season in MLS - had been unable to train ahead of their scheduled opener against Chicago Fire at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex.

    MLS made the decision to remove the team "in the best interest of the health of all players and staff participating in the tournament", according to a statement.

    Nashville CEO Ian Ayre, formerly of Liverpool, said: "In what has been a challenging year, and in an uncharted environment created by the tornado that devastated our city and COVID-19, this is another big disappointing outcome for Nashville SC and its supporters."

    FC Dallas have already been taken out of the tournament due to positive COVID-19 tests for 10 players and one coach, while other stars - including reigning MVP Carlos Vela - have opted against travelling to Florida.

    The tournament, which will form part of a 2020 regular season that was suspended in March due to the pandemic, is going ahead despite the continued rise of confirmed cases in the United States, with the national tally surpassing three million.

    MLS announced Chicago have been moved from Group A to Group B following Nashville's withdrawal and will face Seattle Sounders, San Jose Earthquakes and Vancouver Whitecaps.

    Orlando City lead Group A after beating state rivals Inter Miami 2-1 in the tournament's first match on Wednesday, while Philadelphia Union picked up three points against New York City on Thursday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.