Pioli angered by late Juve penalty but proud of Milan display

By Sports Desk February 13, 2020

Stefano Pioli was angered by the late awarding of a penalty to Juventus as his Milan side had to settle for a frustrating 1-1 draw in the Coppa Italia semi-final first leg at San Siro.

Ante Rebic's volley just after the hour deservedly put Milan ahead and preceded a red card for Rossoneri full-back Theo Hernandez.

It took until injury time for Juve to make the most of the extra man with Davide Calabria harshly pinged for blocking Cristiano Ronaldo's acrobatic effort with his arm in the area.

Ronaldo rifled in the spot-kick, but head coach Pioli felt the decision does not marry with a separate incident in a fixture between Cagliari and Brescia earlier in the season, which he says referees said should not have been awarded.

Speaking to Rai, Pioli said: "I got angry first and foremost because there was a foul on Zlatan Ibrahimovic earlier in the move. 

"Plus I remember the referees showed footage of that Cagliari-Brescia penalty at the start of the season and said it was an error to award it because the player couldn't see the ball.

"Here the situation is the same as Calabria couldn't see it. Alberto Cerri, in that situation, jumped and could not just cut his arms off, you have to use your arms when jumping."

Pioli, who saw Milan denied on several occasions by veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, believes his team can be proud of their performance though.

"I told the players to leave the pitch without regrets. I can say, they will have no regrets. I am very proud of their performance, so are the Milan fans," he added.

"We wanted to get the victory, we were in a strong position to do so, but this is just the first leg and we'll try to do even better in the second."

Related items

  • Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return Zidane blasts Hazard critics as star nears Real Madrid return

    Eden Hazard is "very close" to a return to full fitness as Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane refuted suggestions the forward lacked professionalism. 

    The Belgium star has struggled to find his rhythm in Spain following his initial €100million switch from Chelsea in June last year.

    He managed a solitary goal in his debut season at the Santiago Bernabeu as he battled to regain top condition after undergoing surgery on a broken right foot.

    Zidane hinted that Hazard is primed for action for the first time this season, though stopped short of confirming his spot in the team for Wednesday's clash with Real Valladolid.

    "I think he's very close to a return," said Zidane. "He is prepared and training well with the team.

    "The issue is that he hasn't been able to train much until now, but now he is back training regularly. So, we'll see what happens.

    "What he wants is to play. He had a big problem that caused him issues for a long time, but now it seems like he is fine.

    "The season is very long and he is a professional. He does not lack professionalism. What he wants is to be with his team-mates and to play."

    Asked if he was looking to add to his squad in what remains of the transfer window, Zidane pointed out the difficulties he already faces in picking the LaLiga champions' strongest XI.

    Vinicius Junior is one player who is having to contend with being on the periphery, although Zidane insists he is content with the winger.

    "I'm very happy with the squad that I have," he said. "Adding more players would not be ideal.

    "I'm already struggling to choose between the players that I have. I have the best squad.

    "I'm very happy with Vinicius. He wants to play like every player, I pick my starting line-up every match, and of course I count on Vinicius, he is a great player."

    Zidane's side responded to their opening-game draw with Real Sociedad by winning 3-2 at Real Betis last time out. 

  • Bayern winger Sane ruled out of DFL-Supercup against Dortmund Bayern winger Sane ruled out of DFL-Supercup against Dortmund

    Bayern Munich winger Leroy Sane has been ruled out of the DFL-Supercup match against Borussia Dortmund with a knee injury.

    Sane sustained the problem in Sunday's shock 4-1 away defeat to Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga.

    He will subsequently be missing for Wednesday's Klassiker contest with Dortmund, while David Alaba is a doubt and will be checked closer to kick-off due to a muscular injury.

    Sane, who scored on his debut for the club against Schalke this month after signing from Manchester City, will also be out for Bayern's weekend league meeting with Hertha Berlin, their last game before the international break.

    "David has muscular problems, so we have to wait and see how that develops," explained head coach Hansi Flick at his pre-match news conference.

    "But Leroy is out - he has a capsule injury in his right knee and hopefully he will be back after the international break."

    Dortmund beat Bayern 2-0 in the 2019 Supercup, with Flick's men, who had won it in the previous three years, at home for this meeting as they look to bounce back from the Hoffenheim loss.

    "Dortmund have a fantastic, young side and they also have experience in their ranks," said Flick.

    "They play attractive, offensive football, which I like. This will be a test against one of Germany's best. This game will help to develop us.

    "My team's mentality is absolutely outstanding. Maybe one or two of them are slightly tired, but they always give 100 per cent on the pitch.

    "That was also the case in Hoffenheim, but unfortunately, we didn't do some things that well that day."

    With Sane injured, Champions League final hero Kingsley Coman is in contention to join Serge Gnabry and Thomas Muller in support of striker Robert Lewandowski.

  • Messi is welcome to join Suarez at Atletico, says club president Cerezo Messi is welcome to join Suarez at Atletico, says club president Cerezo

    Lionel Messi is welcome to join Luis Suarez at Atletico Madrid if he still wants to play alongside the Uruguayan, Los Colchoneros president Enrique Cerezo has cheekily suggested.

    Suarez was unceremoniously dumped by Barca last week, selling him to Atletico for just €6million after six years at Camp Nou.

    In that time Suarez rose to third on the club's all-time leading scorers list, but the way his exit was handled angered close friend Messi, who wants to leave Barca.

    The initial decision in pre-season to get rid of Suarez reportedly contributed to the club's captain and talisman asking to leave and, although he failed to force a transfer, he again showed his disdain for those in charge by publicly lambasting them for the Uruguayan's exit.

    Suarez made his Atletico debut in Sunday's 6-1 demolition of Granada, coming off the bench to devastating effect as he scored twice and got an assist.

    And Cerezo has audaciously suggested Messi joins Suarez at the Wanda Metropolitano, borrowing a marketing slogan from Spanish nougat company El Almendro.

    "In life, if you want something... If Leo Messi wants to play with Luis Suarez, I tell him the same thing that is said with nougat: 'Let him come home for Christmas'. With desire, anything is possible," he said on Cadena Cope.

    Despite the turmoil at Barca over the past seven weeks, Cerezo showed support to his under-fire counterpart at Camp Nou, Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    "Everything [with the Suarez signing] went perfectly well," he said. "Bartomeu is a good friend and a great president.

    "At the moment things are not going well at Barcelona, but he has acted as he had to act and nothing else has happened. The signing was not complicated, the player plays where he wanted to play."

    But Suarez's international colleague Edinson Cavani will not be joining him at Atletico, having previously been mooted as a replacement for Diego Costa.

    "Diego Costa is a player that Atletico Madrid needs," Cerezo added. "The season is very long. You don't have to complicate things.

    "I don't think there will be a change at Atleti. Cavani's circumstances have not been the same as those of Luis Suarez.

    "He is a fantastic player, but everything is different. It wasn't because of me or his brother [Walter Guglielmone, also his agent] that he didn't come."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.