Milan derby took a lot out of us, says beaten Inter boss Conte

By Sports Desk February 12, 2020

Antonio Conte feels Inter's derby victory over Milan took away a lot of "nervous" energy as his side fell to a limp Coppa Italia semi-final first-leg loss at home to Napoli.

The Nerazzurri fought back to defeat their rivals 4-2 in a barnstorming Serie A encounter on Sunday.

It was a different story on this occasion, though, as Inter struggled to get out of second gear and succumbed to a 1-0 loss thanks to Fabian Ruiz's excellent second-half strike.

Speaking to Rai after the game, head coach Conte said: "The derby took away a lot of energy, especially nervous. 

"I made five changes from Sunday to bring in fresh legs, but Napoli beat Juventus, Lazio and Liverpool this season, so that means they've got quality there. 

"I'd say that, after Juventus, Napoli have the most impressive squad in Serie A.

"Gennaro Gattuso was smart to sit back, wait and go on the counter. We had the chances and it would've been a fair result if we had played out a draw.

"When you're up against defensive teams like this, you have to move the ball around faster and create spaces.

"We are at the start of this journey, so if some think we are at the same level as a side that was at the top for many years, then I say we're a long way off and have to use these defeats to improve."

Christian Eriksen was again only among the Inter substitutes, with Conte explaining the Denmark playmaker is still finding his best form after being in and out of Tottenham's team.

"He is certainly a player of quality, he needs to rediscover that intensity, seeing as he hasn't played much in the last six months," the ex-Italy boss said of Inter's January arrival.

Related items

  • Bristol City sack Lee Johnson after nine-match winless run Bristol City sack Lee Johnson after nine-match winless run

    Bristol City have parted company with head coach Lee Johnson on the back of Saturday's 1-0 home loss to Cardiff City.

    The Championship club fell to a late Danny Ward goal at Ashton Gate to make it seven defeats in a nine-game winless run, leaving them nine points off the play-offs with five games remaining.

    City were three points off the top two after beating Derby County 3-2 on February 12, but they have collected only two points from a possible 27 since then and are now down in 12th.

    And City, who have lost all four games since returning to action last month, announced on their official website that Johnson - in charge since February 2016 - has been relieved of his duties immediately.

    Chief executive Mark Ashton said: "We recognise the huge amount of work that Lee has put in over the last four-and-a-half years to move this club forward and we thank him for all his efforts.

    "There have been some special moments over those years and Lee has played a significant part in them.

    "However, success in football is ultimately judged by results and league position, and the board believes that a change of management is needed now for Bristol City."

    Assistant head coach Dean Holden will take over on a caretaker basis for City's home match against Hull City on Wednesday.

  • COVID-19 is still a thing, what’s the rush? Better safe than sorry COVID-19 is still a thing, what’s the rush? Better safe than sorry

    Apparently fans in the Caribbean are growing impatient. They are eager to see local football players do what they love.

    Well, President of the Caribbean Football Union, Randolph Harris, says fans will have to wait. I agree.

    Harris is concerned about the health risks involved in a return to live football in the Caribbean and doesn’t see it happening anytime soon.

    According to Harris, a lack of resources makes putting preventative measures in place difficult. I completely understand. But there are others who suggest football should return sooner than later.

    Somewhere along the way COVID-19 has become less of a concern and more of a joke. Especially in the world of sports though it means increasing the odds of let’s say, dying.

    I’ll give you an exampleIt was reported that a football tournament with over 800 patrons was held at the Hellshire Beach in St Catherine. Let that seep in (I’ll wait).

    It irks me that many people are casually getting on with life. Reducing the spread of Covid-19 is group work and everyone needs to play their part. If fans really loved and respected the players and others, they would be more understanding about decisions concerning safety.

    It’s better to be safe than sorry. We all have a role to play in reducing the spread of Covid-19. Preventative measures include (but aren’t limited to) social distancing, wearing a mask and washing our hands frequently. Let's not forget the disease has the potential to kill. We wouldn't want to lose any more loved ones or beloved athletes.

    Please share your thoughts on Twitter (@SportsMax_Carib) or in the comments section on Facebook (@SportsMax). Don’t forget to use #IAmNotAFan. Until next time!

  • Juventus 4-1 Torino: Buffon makes history as Ronaldo leads from the front Juventus 4-1 Torino: Buffon makes history as Ronaldo leads from the front

    Cristiano Ronaldo scored a stunning goal and provided an assist as Juventus eased to a 4-1 derby win over Torino to open up a seven-point lead at the top of Serie A.

    Ronaldo was by no means a constant nuisance to the Torino defence, but the Portugal great turned it on when he needed to, setting up Juan Cuadrado before scoring a brilliant goal of his own on Saturday.

    Juve made a lightning start and opened the scoring through a fine Paulo Dybala effort, before Ronaldo teed up Cuadrado – who set up the opener – for their second at the Allianz Stadium.

    An Andrea Belotti penalty gave the visitors a lifeline just before half-time, Gianluigi Buffon beaten in his record 648th Serie A appearance.

    But Ronaldo struck with a wonderful free-kick in the 61st minute and Koffi Djidji's own goal added to Torino's misery as Juve put further pressure on second-placed Lazio ahead of their clash with Milan.

    It took Juve just three minutes to take charge of the encounter, as Cuadrado found Dybala in the box and the Argentinian's quick feet saw him weave past two defenders before slotting home.

    Cuadrado was involved again just before the half-hour mark, this time jinking on to his right foot and finishing emphatically after Ronaldo led a counter and set the winger up.

    But Torino pulled one back on the stroke of half-time – Belotti slotting a penalty past Buffon after Matthijs de Ligt blocked Simone Verdi's initial shot with his arm.

    Torino briefly thought they had levelled early in the second half, but Belotti had strayed offside in the build-up.

    Juve increased their advantage just past the hour-mark, as Ronaldo stepped up to a 30-yard free-kick and sent an unstoppable effort into the top-left corner.

    The visitors' haplessness was summed up by Djidji's late own goal, the defender turning Douglas Costa's cross past Salvatore Sirigu.

    What does it mean? Juve a step closer to the title

    Although derby clashes generally produce plenty of unpredictability, contests between these two rarely lead to surprises. After all, before Saturday, Juve last lost at home to Torino in April 1995.

    Nevertheless, it was still another hurdle to pass and Juve managed to deal with Torino with minimal fuss.

    Ronaldo does what was required

    As a player who has produced countless memorable performances across his career, no one will claim this was among the standouts – but you cannot argue he was effective, as he set up Cuadrado and netted his first free-kick for Juve.

    A day to forget for Lyanco

    Torino centre-back Lyanco will want to forget about this performance quickly. While not necessarily guilty of gifting any goals away, he will be disappointed he could not do more for Juve's first two.

    What's next?

    Juve go to Milan on Tuesday, while Torino host Brescia the following day.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.