SPL

Twelve-year-old boy charged over alleged racist chants during Old Firm derby

By Sports Desk February 10, 2020

A 12-year-old boy has been charged and reported in relation to the alleged racist abuse of a Rangers player during the Old Firm derby in December.

The incident allegedly took place during Rangers' 2-1 victory over Premiership champions Celtic on December 29.

The boy cannot be named for legal reasons, Police Scotland confirmed on Monday.

Superintendent Mark Sutherland of Greater Glasgow Division said: "Abuse of any form is completely unacceptable and Police Scotland will continue to rigorously investigate any reports of abuse we receive and bring those responsible before the relevant authorities.

"We'd remind the public that, as the person charged is below the age of 18, he cannot be named or identified for legal reasons as per the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995."

Rangers claimed their first league win at Celtic Park since 2010 thanks to goals from Ryan Kent and Nikola Katic either side of an Odsonne Edouard equaliser.

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos was sent off in second-half injury time after receiving a second yellow card for simulation.

Related items

  • Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger

    Lionel Messi is preventing Antoine Griezmann from expressing himself at Barcelona as the Frenchman continues to be overshadowed by the superstar captain, according to Arsene Wenger.

    Griezmann arrived from LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid in a blockbuster €120million transfer last year but he has struggled to establish himself alongside Messi at Camp Nou.

    An unused substitute in Barca's 5-1 Champions League rout of Ferencvaros on Tuesday, Griezmann has failed to score in four LaLiga appearances this season – only managing one shot on target without creating a single chance.

    While Messi has just one league goal, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner has registered seven shots on target and created six chances for his team-mates.

    Former Arsenal manager Wenger believes France international Griezmann is being hindered by Messi's presence in his preferred central attacking position.

    "Not playing at his position is complicated in the long term," Wenger told beIN SPORTS.  

    "At the start, the guy accepts it but, if he does not meet his needs in the long term and he feels that the position does not allow him to express his qualities, he will become discouraged.

    "Today, he is a player who must play in the centre because he has a great work rate, a precision in his passes. 

    "He can be dangerous with the last pass and by scoring goals, but there is congestion because he is in the range of play of Messi."

    In his first season with Barca last time out, Griezmann scored nine goals, supplied four assists and created 33 chances in 35 LaLiga appearances.

    Griezmann finished 2019-20 with 15 goals in all competitions – a tumultuous campaign which saw Barca dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    The 29-year-old scored 133 goals in 257 games for Atletico between 2014 and 2019.

  • Ibrahimovic 'fine' to face Celtic but Pioli unsure about extent of Calhanoglu injury Ibrahimovic 'fine' to face Celtic but Pioli unsure about extent of Calhanoglu injury

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic can cope with Milan's quick turnaround in matches but Rossoneri head coach Stefano Pioli is unsure how long his side will be without fellow key player Hakan Calhanoglu.

    Veteran striker Ibrahimovic scored twice in Saturday's 2-1 win over bitter rivals Inter and is part of Milan's 22-man squad for Thursday's Europa League Group H opener with Celtic in Glasgow.

    Pioli has resisted the urge to rest his big hitters and insists they can cope with the demands of a packed fixture list, with four more matches to come in the space of 10 days.

    "Zlatan is fine and so are his team-mates," Pioli told Sky Sport Italia. "I think the team is fine, because it's more the head that commands the legs. 

    "The derby has taken away a lot of mental energy more than physical, as always happens in this period.

    "We will have a block of three weeks where we will play seven times and they will be close and very competitive matches, but I will certainly field the best side on Thursday."

    Calhanoglu will play no part at Celtic Park, however, after spraining his ankle in the narrow win over Inter last weekend as Milan stretched their winning run to nine matches.

    He has thrived post-lockdown, scoring and assisting a combined 15 goals in Serie A since June - a tally matched by Ibrahimovic and bettered only by Cristiano Ronaldo (16) and Francesco Caputo (17).

    Asked for an update on Calhanoglu's fitness, Pioli said: "Unfortunately, we don't know if it is a minor one or a more serious thing.

    "It is a situation that we will have to analyse together with the physios day after day."

    Milan made tough work of overcoming Rio Ave in their qualifying play-off tie, requiring a last-gasp goal from Calhanoglu to salvage an epic penalty shoot-out that they edged 9-8.

    The seven-time European champions have won just one of their last four matches in the Europa League proper, conceding two or more goals in three of those fixtures.

    However, they enter the competition as the favourites of many to go all the way and Pioli acknowledges his side have to cope with the pressure that comes with that tag.

    "We worked hard to get back into Europe and now we want to stay there," he told Milan TV.

    "The Europa League is an important competition, we have a very balanced and competitive group, so we are eager to start strong.

    "It's natural that there are high expectations around us, and that’s only right, as we are wearing a prestigious jersey of a club that is accustomed to winning.

    "It's a privilege for us to have this kind of pressure, as it means we are doing well and there are many more tests we must pass. 

    "Milan always play to win, knowing that it’ll be difficult every single time. 

    "We have the quality to take home the points and the more we sacrifice ourselves for the team, the more likely we’ll get a result."

  • Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation

    Cristiano Ronaldo showed off a daring new look on Wednesday as he continued to train even while isolating with coronavirus.

    The Juventus forward has been restricted to his home in Turin since contracting COVID-19 during the international break.

    Ronaldo missed Portugal's Nations League win over Sweden, along with Juve's draw at Crotone and Champions League victory against Dynamo Kiev.

    The Bianconeri will be keen to have their talisman back in action and, based on a video shared on social media, he is likewise raring to go.

    Ronaldo posted a clip filmed from outside a glass room in which he was training on a treadmill, and he is evidently not just keeping trim by working out given the new shaved-head look Juve's number seven was sporting.

    He quoted: "Success in life is not measured by what you achieve, but by the obstacles you overcome."

    In response to claims he had broken coronavirus rules last week, Ronaldo had revealed he was staying on a different floor to his family and had been sunbathing indoors.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.