Dembele to have hamstring surgery on Tuesday, Barcelona confirm

By Sports Desk February 06, 2020

Barcelona have confirmed Ousmane Dembele will have surgery next Tuesday after suffering a rupture to his hamstring.

Dembele sustained the injury in training on Monday, having been stepping up his recovery from a right hamstring problem that has sidelined him since November.

A statement on Tuesday confirmed Dembele suffered a "complete proximal hamstring tear in his right thigh".

The club is still unable to provide any information about a potential return date, though media reports have suggested they do not expect him to play much of a role – if any – in the remainder of the season.

A Barca statement read: "Barcelona player Ousmane Dembele will undergo surgery on Tuesday, February 11 in Turku, Finland, to treat a rupture to the proximal tendon of his right hamstring.

"Once the operation has been concluded, further information will be given regarding his approximate recovery time."

Dembele has only made nine appearances for Barca this season and spent a month out earlier in the campaign with a left hamstring injury.

The 22-year-old arrived from Borussia Dortmund for an initial fee of €105million in August 2017 but his time at Camp Nou has been blighted by injury.

He underwent surgery on his left hamstring one month after joining the club and did not return to action until January 2018.

Dembele suffered another strain in the same thigh four games after making his comeback and spent another month on the sidelines.

At the end of the 2018-19 season, a sprained ankle was followed by a left hamstring strain and a right hamstring injury to restrict his involvement in the team.

New coach Quique Setien had recently spoken of his excitement to have Dembele back in contention after the club failed to bolster their attacking options following a serious injury to Luis Suarez.

However, Barca are said to be confident of securing special dispensation from authorities to bring in reinforcements outside of the transfer window following this latest setback.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus

    Liverpool have reportedly put their plans to sign Timo Werner on hold, while Paulo Dybala's future could be clearer soon.

    Werner, 24, was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool from RB Leipzig, but the coronavirus pandemic may have changed that.

    Meanwhile, Dybala's future is set to be clear shortly.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PUT WERNER PLANS ON HOLD

    Liverpool have put their plans to sign Werner on hold and also stopped contract talks due to coronavirus, according to The Daily Mail.

    There is uncertainty over the financial statuses of sporting clubs around the world due to coronavirus and Liverpool are waiting until there is greater clarity.

    Star midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and defender Dejan Lovren are among the Liverpool players out of contract in 2021.

    One club seemingly not prepared to wait are Juventus, with CalcioMercato reporting Dybala is getting closer to a contract extension with the Serie A giants.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Luka Modric is going nowhere. AS claims the midfielder will see out his contract, which runs until 2021, at Real Madrid. Just what Madrid's midfield looks like next season remains to be seen. Sport says Madrid will let James Rodriguez leave and bring Martin Odegaard back from his loan spell at Real Sociedad. It also reports Takefusa Kubo will be used as part of a deal to bring back Odegaard.

    - Talk about a deal that would see Neymar return to Barcelona and Antoine Griezmann join Paris Saint-Germain remains alive. According to Sport, PSG would welcome Griezmann while they attempt to re-sign Kylian Mbappe to unite the France team-mates at club level.

    - One player unlikely to be at PSG is Edinson Cavani. Tuttosport reports Napoli are thinking about bringing the forward, who is out of contract at the end of the season, back to the Stadio San Paolo.

    - Marc-Andre ter Stegen's future remains unclear. Sport claims Barcelona and the goalkeeper are no closer to renewing a contract that will expire in 2022.

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is seemingly happy on loan at Roma, but whether he stays remains to be seen. The Daily Express says Arsenal have rejected two bids – the last one around €11.4million (£10m) – from the Serie A club, who may instead turn to Chelsea's Pedro.

    - As they plan a move for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, Chelsea have told Willian he has no chance of getting a three-year deal, according to the Mirror. Willian is out of contract at the end of the season.

  • On this day in sport: Brathwaite leaves Stokes shattered, Popovich's sharp exit, Messi milestone On this day in sport: Brathwaite leaves Stokes shattered, Popovich's sharp exit, Messi milestone

    Ben Stokes must have endured nightmares over this day four years ago, when Carlos Brathwaite smashed West Indies to T20 World Cup glory in such dramatic fashion.

    Gregg Popovich also has bad memories of April 3, having been ejected only 63 seconds into the San Antonio Spurs' NBA clash with the Denver Nuggets last year.

    Lionel Messi scored two penalties when Barcelona beat Milan to reach the Champions League semi-finals on this day back in 2012.

    We take a look back at April 3 in sporting history.

     

    2016 - 'Remember the name' - Brathwaite goes berserk

    Stokes has had plenty to celebrate in the past year, but the England all-rounder endured a horror show at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.

    Windies all-rounder Brathwaite was the star of the show, blasting Stokes for four sixes off the first four balls of the final over to ensure his side became the first to win two World T20 titles.

    Commentator and former West Indies bowler Ian Bishop belted out "remember the name" when Brathwaite sealed a stunning victory, having needed 19 off the final over.

    While Stokes has gone on to better things, he will certainly not have forgotten the name of Brathwaite. 

     

    2019 - Off you pop

    Some spectators may not have taken their seats when Spurs coach Popovich was given his marching orders 12 months ago.

    He took exception to a non-foul call and was issued a technical by official Mark Ayotte before being handed another by David Guthrie just over a minute after tip-off in an encounter with Denver.

    The Nuggets went on to win 113-85 three nights after Popovich was also ejected during a loss to the Sacramento Kings.

    2012 - Milestone for Messi as Milan crash out

    There have been many days when Messi achieved a milestone and his half-century of Champions League goals came eight years ago to the day.

    The Barcelona superstar made no mistake from the penalty spot twice as the Catalan giants beat Milan 3-1 to reach the last four.

    There were no goals in the first leg at San Siro, but Messi proved to the match-winner, with Andres Iniesta netting the third. Chelsea ended Barca's run at the semi-final stage, though, winning 3-2 on aggregate.

  • Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez

    Luis Suarez defended Barcelona players and said they were the first who wanted to reach an agreement over a pay cut.

    Barcelona players agreed to a 70 per cent pay cut earlier this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    In a statement confirming the move on Monday, Barcelona star Lionel Messi took aim at senior figures at the club for putting players under pressure over something they always knew they would do.

    Suarez said players were hurt by reports they were unwilling to accept a salary reduction.

    "A lot of hurtful things have been said about the squad's salary cuts," the forward told Sport 890 on Thursday.

    "People have said that the players didn't want to accept them, then it was said that players from other areas of the club had reached an agreement, when the reality is that we were waiting to try and find the best solution for the club."

    Suarez added: "It hurts when people say things like that because we were always the first people that wanted to reach an agreement, as we know what the club's situation is.

    "No player in the squad refused a wage cut. A mutual agreement was reached between the players and the club. The captains spoke to the president and nobody refused it."

    More than 52,900 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll exceeding 10,300 in Spain.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.