Ibrahimovic had everything to lose returning to Milan – Boban hails Zlatan

By Sports Desk February 04, 2020

Milan will be forever grateful to Zlatan Ibrahimovic as he had "nothing to prove" and "everything to lose" by returning to the struggling Serie A giants, according to chief football officer Zvonimir Boban.

Ibrahimovic re-joined Milan last month after leaving the Rossoneri in 2012, and the 38-year-old striker has made an immediate impact at San Siro.

Since arriving on a free transfer from MLS outfit LA Galaxy, Ibrahimovic has lifted the spirit in the dressing room and scored twice in five appearances.

Milan have not lost since Ibrahimovic's comeback – a run of seven matches – and Boban praised the former Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain star.

"Ibra is a very charismatic player and he is super professional," said Boban, whose Milan are eighth in Serie A. 

"He joined the team with a very humble approach despite he is a player with a great strength under many aspects.

"He had a real impact on his young team-mates and his arrival was a huge boost to their confidence. It was not easy, but he just found the perfect way to understand the delicate moment our players were going through.

"We will be grateful to him for this forever because he had nothing to prove coming to Milan and everything to lose."

Gianluigi Donnarumma also continues to play a key role for Milan this season – the Italy international goalkeeper an ever-present in 2019-20 with eight clean sheets.

Former Milan keeper Dida, who won two Champions League titles and the Serie A among other honours during his time with the club, lauded the 20-year-old star.

"Donnarumma doesn't need any advice," Dida said. "He grown up in the last year and now he is very mature for his age. In the past he had some misunderstanding with Milan fans but now you can see he is very focused and is doing great things for Milan.

"He made some great saves this season, he always approach the game with the right attitude. You can see he is matured. He just need to keep working as he is doing."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid

    Real Madrid are reportedly preparing for a rebuild and Erling Haaland and Sadio Mane are their top transfer targets.

    The LaLiga club appear set for a busy close season amid links to numerous players.

    While Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is said to be a target, it seems Madrid have other priorities.

     

    TOP STORY – HAALAND, MANE TOP TARGETS FOR REAL MADRID

    Borussia Dortmund forward Haaland and Liverpool star Mane are Real Madrid's top targets, according to the Daily Express.

    The report says Aubameyang is also wanted at the Santiago Bernabeu, but is behind Haaland and Mane.

    Real Madrid were two points behind LaLiga leaders Barcelona when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    ROUND-UP

    - Staying at Real Madrid and the LaLiga giants are tracking Sao Paulo midfielder Igor Gomes, according to AS. A Brazil youth international, Gomes, 21, has been compared to former AC Milan star Kaka.

    - Ousmane Dembele is seemingly unwanted at Barcelona and could be set for a move. Sport reports Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp want Dembele, who has struggled with injuries since joining the LaLiga club.

    - Barcelona are continuing their bid to land Lautaro Martinez. Sport claims left-back Junior Firpo could be part of a deal to bring the Inter star to Camp Nou. It says Inter, and Roma, are interested in the left-back and Barca would want the €18million they paid Real Betis for Junior last year.

    - Manchester United could be set to make a big move this close season. The Daily Star reports the Premier League club are confident of landing Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez for a club-record £135m (€150.8m).

    - Perhaps Manchester United had another target. However, Sport says Real Madrid have told United that midfielder Federico Valverde is worth his incredible release clause – £448m (€500m).

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is loving life in Rome. The Daily Mail reports the midfielder, who is on loan at Roma from Arsenal, wants to stay at the club and hopes they can agree to a €11.2m (£10m) deal.

  • Coronavirus: Serie A could end here – AIC president Tommasi Coronavirus: Serie A could end here – AIC president Tommasi

    Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) president Damiano Tommasi suggested the Serie A season could be over.

    Serie A is suspended until Friday due to the coronavirus pandemic, but that postponement appears certain to be extended.

    Italian sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora told La Repubblica he would push for sport, including training, to stop through all of April.

    Tommasi said he was worried that could mean the end of the Serie A season, with the last game having been played on March 9.

    "Tomorrow [Monday], they have one more element on the table than in the past weeks," he told ANSA on Sunday.

    "Because, after the words of minister Spadafora, the concern is the championship will end here.

    "We must therefore ask ourselves about the problem of ending the season from a sporting point of view and a contractual one."

    Juventus held a one-point lead atop the Serie A table when the season was stopped with most teams having played 26 games.

  • Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started

    Filippo Inzaghi believes Italian sides are willing to play in August to complete the season and warned some clubs could disappear if it is not finished.

    Italy has suffered heavily during the coronavirus pandemic that has swept the world, with over 10,000 recorded deaths so far in the country, and the government has suspended all domestic sport until at least April 3.

    The break is likely to continue beyond that date but former Milan striker Inzaghi, now head coach of runaway Serie B leaders Benevento, has warned of the ramifications of scrapping the campaign.

    "Talking about football is difficult," Inzaghi told Sky Sport Italia. "We have all taken a step back for our health, which is the highest priority.

    "By the time everything ends, we want to start playing again - it would be the right thing. We all want to finish what we started eight months ago, and the championships must be finished.

    "It would be the best solution to avoid misunderstandings and prevent someone from being damaged.

    "We are ready to play in June, July and August: we want to end this championship, any other decision will penalise someone. We will go to the courts, some clubs will disappear, so football could risk losing two years, not two months."

    Inzaghi has guided Benevento to 21 victories in 28 games so far this season, while brother Simone is enjoying a successful campaign in the top tier with Lazio.

    The Biancoceleste are second in Serie A, just a point behind leaders Juventus, and Filippo was full of praise for both his brother and Ciro Immobile, Lazio's leading scorer.

    "He is better than me in everything," said the Benevento boss. "I can only learn from Simone: he is a modern coach and seeing his Lazio side is a spectacle."

    Asked to name a player similar to himself, Inzaghi added: "I don't like making comparisons, but I say that Immobile is the best Italian player.

    "He always scores, always decisive. He is the centre-forward that I like best."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.