I'll be proud to lead Villa out at Wembley - Smith revels in booking EFL Cup spot

By Sports Desk January 28, 2020

Dean Smith "will be a very proud man" when he leads Aston Villa out at Wembley after they dramatically beat Leicester City 2-1 to earn a place in the EFL Cup final.

The game at Villa Park looked destined for extra time after Kelechi Iheanacho cancelled out Matt Targett's opener to make it 1-1 on Tuesday and 2-2 on aggregate.

However, Trezeguet steered home a right-wing cross from Ahmed El Mohamady on the volley in stoppage time to spark scenes of jubilation, with fans invading the pitch following the final whistle.

Villa, who last won the trophy in 1996 and were runners-up in 2010, are likely to face Manchester City in the showpiece, with Pep Guardiola's side holding a 3-1 aggregate lead over Manchester United ahead of the second leg at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.

"I certainly let myself go with the goal. That deep onto stoppage time, there was a bit of emotion from everybody when that goal went in and the place erupted," Smith told Sky Sports.

"To go and get the win at the death like we did there – we had it last week against Watford in the last minute and we've had it again today.

"But to be taking this club to Wembley, we've got a great history and a proud history in this competition, and I'll be a very proud man leading them out at Wembley."

With Pepe Reina missing out due to a tight calf, goalkeeper Orjan Nyland featured for the first time since conceding six against City on January 12, making five saves across the 90 minutes.

"Our goalkeeper made three great saves early, two low down and one tipped onto the crossbar," said Smith. "But I thought we were aggressive as well and it was a good game of football with both teams trying to win it.

"We certainly are [making a habit of late wins] and it's certainly a good time to score, because you can see from the eruption in the stadium that they know it's very difficult to get back in it.

"I'm proud because the players were aggressive, had chances and created chances and made it a really tight game."

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers felt his team deserved to win and was disappointed they did not get a first-half penalty when James Maddison's shot struck Marvelous Nakamba's arm.

"I thought we were excellent in the game. Their goalkeeper made some outstanding saves. We played with a nice control and composure in the game, created opportunities," Rodgers told Sky Sports.

"I thought we had a clear handball, it looked a definite penalty, so I'm just gutted for my players because they put so much into the game. Especially coming from behind, playing with that composure and scoring a very good goal.

"By the end of the game I thought there was only one team looked like they were going to win it, but we switch off from the cross and the guy gets in at the back post and scores it.

"It's tough to take looking back over the two games but congratulations to Aston Villa, they go through and we have to move on."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started

    Filippo Inzaghi believes Italian sides are willing to play in August to complete the season and warned some clubs could disappear if it is not finished.

    Italy has suffered heavily during the coronavirus pandemic that has swept the world, with over 10,000 recorded deaths so far in the country, and the government has suspended all domestic sport until at least April 3.

    The break is likely to continue beyond that date but former Milan striker Inzaghi, now head coach of runaway Serie B leaders Benevento, has warned of the ramifications of scrapping the campaign.

    "Talking about football is difficult," Inzaghi told Sky Sport Italia. "We have all taken a step back for our health, which is the highest priority.

    "By the time everything ends, we want to start playing again - it would be the right thing. We all want to finish what we started eight months ago, and the championships must be finished.

    "It would be the best solution to avoid misunderstandings and prevent someone from being damaged.

    "We are ready to play in June, July and August: we want to end this championship, any other decision will penalise someone. We will go to the courts, some clubs will disappear, so football could risk losing two years, not two months."

    Inzaghi has guided Benevento to 21 victories in 28 games so far this season, while brother Simone is enjoying a successful campaign in the top tier with Lazio.

    The Biancoceleste are second in Serie A, just a point behind leaders Juventus, and Filippo was full of praise for both his brother and Ciro Immobile, Lazio's leading scorer.

    "He is better than me in everything," said the Benevento boss. "I can only learn from Simone: he is a modern coach and seeing his Lazio side is a spectacle."

    Asked to name a player similar to himself, Inzaghi added: "I don't like making comparisons, but I say that Immobile is the best Italian player.

    "He always scores, always decisive. He is the centre-forward that I like best."

  • Xavi: I want to coach Barcelona with Puyol and Cruyff Xavi: I want to coach Barcelona with Puyol and Cruyff

    Xavi named former Barcelona team-mates Carles Puyol and Jordi Cruyff as the men he wants by his side should he get the chance to fulfil his ambition of becoming head coach at Camp Nou.

    The 40-year-old won his second trophy as Al Sadd boss when he guided the club to glory in the Qatar Cup final in January, days after turning down the offer of taking charge of Barcelona.

    At the time Xavi said it was "too soon" for him to coach the LaLiga champions, but in an interview with La Vanguardia magazine he made it clear that becoming Barca's boss is very much in his plans.

    "I am clear that I want to return to Barca," he said. "I am very excited.

    "Now that I have seen myself coaching, I think I can contribute things to the players.

    "But I made it clear to them that I saw myself in a project that started from scratch, and in which decision-making was mine."

    Xavi shared 15 years as a Barcelona with Puyol and together they won six LaLiga titles, two Copa del Rey titles, three Champions Leagues, the UEFA Super Cup and two FIFA World Cup Cups.

    Cruyff's time at Camp Nou came in the mid-90s, but Xavi said the 46-year-old, who is now head coach of Ecuador, would be his first choice as technical secretary.

    "I would like to work together with people in whom I have confidence, with whom there is loyalty, and who are very valid people," said Xavi. "There cannot be anyone toxic near the locker room.

    "We are talking about Carles Puyol, who was captain of Barca, and Jordi Cruyff, a very good businessman and with a lot of experience in the technical secretary.

    "I am a team person; I don't want to decide alone. Obviously I would like to be very in tune with everyone.

    "In the locker room there can be no negativity, nothing toxic. I would like to enter with people from my environment to form a good team."

  • Dortmund will respect Sancho's decision over future, says Watzke Dortmund will respect Sancho's decision over future, says Watzke

    Borussia Dortmund will respect Jadon Sancho's decision if he decides to leave the club, according to Hans-Joachim Watzke.

    With Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Barcelona all reportedly interested in signing the 20-year-old, Dortmund CEO Watzke admitted it would be up to Sancho to determine his own future – but warned there will be no cut-price deal for the forward.

    The England international had scored 14 goals in 23 Bundesliga appearances before the 2019-20 season was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, with Watzke still hopeful of retaining his services.

    "Even before the coronavirus outbreak, we said that we prefer that Jadon stays with us," Watzke told Bild.

    "At the end of the day, however, you always have to respect what the player wants."

    With Sancho, Gio Reyna and Erling Haaland impressing this season, Watzke issued a message to other clubs who might be hoping to poach Dortmund's rising stars in the next transfer window.

    "I'll say clearly say that even the very rich clubs shouldn't believe that they can come here to snap up bargains," he said.

    "We don't have to sell anyone for less than they're worth."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.