EPL

Pogba has ankle cast removed as he steps up Man Utd injury comeback

By Sports Desk January 28, 2020

Paul Pogba has had his ankle cast removed as he steps up his attempt to return from injury for Manchester United.

The France international has only started one Premier League match since August in a campaign heavily interrupted by his fitness woes.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was unable to put a timescale on Pogba's return to action ahead of Wednesday's derby against Manchester City in the EFL Cup.

But Solskjaer reported Pogba has made a key step in his recovery following surgery, as has fellow midfielder Scott McTominay, who is no longer wearing a knee brace.

"It's hard to put timescales on long-term injuries because they also need the training before [being] injury-free and need to be fitter," Solskjaer told reporters.

"Paul's had his cast off and Scott took his brace off so at least they can now start doing some work on the grass."

Reports have suggested Pogba and McTominay are both targeting injury returns after the mid-season break, with United to play Chelsea on February 17 after a 16-day stint without a game.

After suffering a small issue in United's 6-0 FA Cup win over Tranmere Rovers on Sunday, Nemanja Matic is in a race to be fit for the EFL clash with rivals City, who lead the tie 3-1 after a win at Old Trafford this month.

Solskjaer added: "Just Nemanja got a slight problem, so he had to come off at half-time. He has played loads of football so hopefully we can get him back on the pitch, but I haven't seen him. 

"Let's see how he is in training. To make sure we give him the best possible chance for Wednesday night we took him off. I think he should be all right but let's see."

Eric Bailly is pushing for a return to the line-up, while David de Gea and Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be back after getting a rest against Tranmere.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19 Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19

    The Wellington Phoenix staff member who tested positive for coronavirus has been cleared.

    The A-League club announced last month that a staff member had tested positive for COVID-19.

    Wellington said on Wednesday the person had recovered and been cleared to return to their family.

    "The Wellington Phoenix advises that a member of its staff who tested positive for COVID-19 last month has now fully recovered and been reunited with their family," a club statement read.

    "The person was tested following their return to New Zealand as a precaution after showing minor symptoms. Following strict Ministry of Health advice, they immediately quarantined themselves from the public and their bubble."

    New Zealand has reported more than 1,200 cases of coronavirus, including one death.

    The A-League season was suspended last month with the Phoenix sitting third.

  • He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting

    Liverpool star Sadio Mane revealed Jurgen Klopp said he was "like a rapper" as he turned down the chance to sign the attacker while at Borussia Dortmund.

    Klopp opted against signing Mane during his time at Dortmund, where he was coach from 2008 to 2015, a decision he later said was a mistake.

    Mane felt the Liverpool manager had made an error, joking about how Klopp had perceived him at the time.

    "He said I was like a rapper!" Mane told The Guardian.

    "But I think I gave my best so what can I say? That's part of life – you never know how you are going to get along with people. But I think he was wrong for sure.

    "It was an experience for me as well though. I knew I had to show him more until we met again."

    Together at Liverpool, Mane has developed into one of the world's best attackers under Klopp.

    Mane praised the German for his belief in his players, highlighting Liverpool's incredible comeback win over Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals last season.

    "What makes him special is that he never stops believing," Mane said.

    "In the meeting before the game he was really convinced that we could do it, even though we were missing two of the best players in the world [Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino].

    "He pushed the boys hard to give everything possible and tried to take the pressure off us."

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president

    UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin sees "no way" in which Liverpool could be denied the Premier League title this season despite the coronavirus pandemic.

    Liverpool were 25 points clear atop the table when the campaign was suspended due to coronavirus last month.

    It remains unclear when, and if, the season will resume, but Ceferin said Jurgen Klopp's men were almost certain to be champions, giving the club their first top-flight title since 1990.

    "I see no way to keep Liverpool untitled," he told Slovenian sports daily Ekipa.

    "If it is played, then they will almost certainly win it – theoretically they have not reached the guaranteed level, but it is practically close.

    "However, if it could not be played, it would also be necessary to announce the results in some way … and then the champions should be determined. And of course again I don't see a scenario that would not be Liverpool.

    "I understand that fans will be disappointed if it happens in an empty stadium or even at a green table, but I believe they will win the title in one way or another."

    However, Ceferin insisted the plan was still for leagues around the world to be completed.

    "I just spoke hypothetically," he said. "We are also preparing for such scenarios, but we are not dealing with the details for now.

    "At this point, we are fully committed to completing the competition."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.