EPL

Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

Jose Mourinho says the form of Giovani Lo Celso is giving Tottenham "an easy decision" to sign him on a permanent basis.

A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton on Saturday.

The 23-year-old also had a goal disallowed and Mourinho is sure he has done enough to earn a permanent place at Spurs, having initially joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis, with an option to buy.

Mourinho said: "It's not an obligation, it's an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. 

"He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

"Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

"But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

Son, meanwhile, has netted in back-to-back matches at a time where star striker Harry Kane is out injured.

Mourinho, whose side will now play an FA Cup replay against Saints, added of Son: "All of the attacking players need this happiness of scoring goals. 

"In the first half he had one easier than the goal he scored, facing the keeper the angle was good, the shot was good but for inches he missed. 

"It is a good goal, an important goal, so it is good for him.

"Playing a replay will affect [our mid-season break] a little bit. There is one more match we have to play. It is not a personal situation, Ralph Hasenhuttl was telling me the same, we don't need one more match. 

"But I think both me and him prefer to play again than to be out. No drama, let's go."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive Coronavirus: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive

    Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

    The Reds issued a statement provided by Dalglish's family, explaining the 69-year-old former Scotland international was in hospital regarding a different matter on Wednesday but was given a COVID-19 test.

    "Sir Kenny was admitted to hospital on Wednesday, April 8, for treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics," the statement read.

    "In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic.

    "Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self-isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family. He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead.

    "He would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation's attention at this extraordinary time.

    "He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family's privacy is respected.

    "He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate."

    Dalglish is widely recognised as Liverpool's finest player. He joined the club from Celtic, where he had also enjoyed great success, in 1977, and went on to win six league titles as a player with the Reds, including one as player-manager in the 1985-86 double-winning season.

    He also won three European Cups as a player with Liverpool, thriving under bosses Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan before taking the reins himself.

    His first spell as manager ended in February 1991 and took in the Hillsborough disaster, when his leadership and his compassion towards the bereaved in the aftermath showed Dalglish at his best off the pitch.

    Dalglish led Liverpool to their most recent English league title in the 1989-90 season, before managing Blackburn Rovers to Premier League glory in 1994-95.

    He later took charge at Newcastle United, before a second spell as Liverpool manager followed, Dalglish in command at Anfield from January 2011 until May 2012.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive for coronavirus BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive for coronavirus

    Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

  • Norwich secure deal for Dudelange winger Sinani Norwich secure deal for Dudelange winger Sinani

    Danel Sinani will join Norwich City from Dudelange at the end of the season, the Premier League strugglers have announced.

    Luxembourg international Sinani has signed a three-year deal with the Canaries, who are six points shy of safety after 29 matches in England's top-flight, with the season paused amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 23-year-old has scored 13 goals across the past two Europa League campaigns, including braces against APOEL and Sevilla in the 2019-20 group stage.

    "Norwich is a very big club with many good players," Sinani told his new club's official website.

    "I will try to do my best and try to continue to hopefully score goals and to help the team to get in a high position."

    Norwich boss Daniel Farke added: "We're all happy that we're able to sign Danel. He's a young player full of potential."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.