Cavani and Kurzawa left out by PSG amid transfer speculation

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

Edinson Cavani and Layvin Kurzawa will not feature against Lille on Sunday, with their respective Paris Saint-Germain futures uncertain.

Cavani has been persistently linked with a move away from Parc des Princes this month, with the 32-year-old – who has been injured for some of January – having fallen down the pecking order this season.

The Uruguay striker has handed in a transfer request, while PSG's sporting director Leonardo confirmed a bid from Atletico Madrid has been rejected.

Full-back Kurzawa, meanwhile, who is out of contract at the end of the season, is reportedly of interest to Premier League side Arsenal.

Tuchel confirmed that, although both players are fit, neither will be available for Sunday's trip to Lille.

"It is not decided yet. There are things between clubs and Kurzawa, but he is our player. We know that things are not clear yet, the situation is not clear," Tuchel told a news conference.

"This is why he is not part of the group for Sunday, in order to manage the situation. We will see. It is the same with Edinson. He trained with us for a few days, no problems, but the situation is unclear and that is why he will not be available.

"It was the best decision. The situation with Kurzawa, it was very recent, a short amount of time, so I think it was useful for him to think and find a solution, and the we will keep going. 

"For Cavani, it has been going for a few weeks, but he trained, he is not injured anymore. But still, we decided that he wasn't available because the situation is unclear. Things might happen during the transfer window."

While Tuchel insisted PSG's focus remains on the Ligue 1 and Coupe de France matches the French champions have coming up, he was pressed for his thoughts on the dealings of his former club Borussia Dortmund.

The Bundesliga side, who are PSG's opponents in the Champions League last 16, have brought in Erling Haaland – who has scored five goals in his first two appearances, both from the bench – while they have also been linked with Juventus midfielder Emre Can.

"I think they will not stop. They will buy one or two other players," Tuchel said of Dortmund.

"So, it will be a very tough game against Dortmund, but it is like that. I think [the media] are the only ones always thinking about Dortmund.

"I didn't talk to my staff or players about Dortmund. I am always only talking about Dortmund during the media conference, but we do not speak about Dortmund in the squad."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive Coronavirus: Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish tests positive

    Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

    The Reds issued a statement provided by Dalglish's family, explaining the 69-year-old former Scotland international was in hospital regarding a different matter on Wednesday but was given a COVID-19 test.

    "Sir Kenny was admitted to hospital on Wednesday, April 8, for treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics," the statement read.

    "In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic.

    "Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self-isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family. He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead.

    "He would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation's attention at this extraordinary time.

    "He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family's privacy is respected.

    "He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate."

    Dalglish is widely recognised as Liverpool's finest player. He joined the club from Celtic, where he had also enjoyed great success, in 1977, and went on to win six league titles as a player with the Reds, including one as player-manager in the 1985-86 double-winning season.

    He also won three European Cups as a player with Liverpool, thriving under bosses Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan before taking the reins himself.

    His first spell as manager ended in February 1991 and took in the Hillsborough disaster, when his leadership and his compassion towards the bereaved in the aftermath showed Dalglish at his best off the pitch.

    Dalglish led Liverpool to their most recent English league title in the 1989-90 season, before managing Blackburn Rovers to Premier League glory in 1994-95.

    He later took charge at Newcastle United, before a second spell as Liverpool manager followed, Dalglish in command at Anfield from January 2011 until May 2012.

  • Norwich secure deal for Dudelange winger Sinani Norwich secure deal for Dudelange winger Sinani

    Danel Sinani will join Norwich City from Dudelange at the end of the season, the Premier League strugglers have announced.

    Luxembourg international Sinani has signed a three-year deal with the Canaries, who are six points shy of safety after 29 matches in England's top-flight, with the season paused amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 23-year-old has scored 13 goals across the past two Europa League campaigns, including braces against APOEL and Sevilla in the 2019-20 group stage.

    "Norwich is a very big club with many good players," Sinani told his new club's official website.

    "I will try to do my best and try to continue to hopefully score goals and to help the team to get in a high position."

    Norwich boss Daniel Farke added: "We're all happy that we're able to sign Danel. He's a young player full of potential."

  • Spinazzola inspired by failed Inter move Spinazzola inspired by failed Inter move

    Leonardo Spinazzola has revealed he found inspiration in his failed January move to Inter and accusations he is "injury-prone".

    The Roma full-back had appeared set to join Inter earlier this year in a swap deal with Matteo Politano.

    However, the transfer collapsed, reportedly due to concerns regarding Spinazzola's fitness.

    The former Juventus man addressed the issue on Friday and, with 15 league appearances this season, explained how he was hurt by the claims.

    Spinazzola suggested he had been motivated since January as a result.

    "To label a player who is playing, like me, as 'injury-prone' or 'lame' is not a good thing," he said while speaking to fans on Roma's Instagram page.

     

    "Since that week, I have changed mentally. In the previous six months, I was down, and that's not like me. But after that week, I found myself."

    Serie A has been suspended amid the coronavirus pandemic, but Spinazzola has been pleased with the way Roma have dealt with the crisis.

    "I am honoured to be part of this club," he said. "I knew it was a great club already, but this month has proved it even more. Not everyone has behaved like this."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.