EPL

Rashford in good spirits despite injury lay off - Solskjaer

By Sports Desk January 21, 2020

Manchester United's Marcus Rashford is staying positive as he aims for a safe return from a back injury, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Rashford is set to miss at least six weeks after suffering a stress fracture in his back in United's FA Cup victory over Wolves on Wednesday.

His injury leaves United without their leading scorer and attacking talisman, with Rashford having netted 19 goals across all competitions so far this season.

Asked to provide an update on Rashford ahead of United's encounter with Burnley, Solskjaer said the 22-year-old is in good spirits, though could put no definitive timescale on his return.

"He won't be fit for this game, for sure. He'll be out for a while, he'll get the time he needs to recover," Solskjaer told a news conference.

"Marcus is good, he's a positive guy and he knows this is not what he wanted but he's always positive.

"He wants to get back as quickly as possible but as safely as possible, so we'll give him that time and when he feels ready and medically we've cleared him, he'll be back."

Reports had suggested Rashford had been playing through the pain of a single stress fracture for some time prior to aggravating the issue in the match against Wolves, but Solskjaer insisted the England forward was not carrying an injury. 

"It's not one he's had before, no," Solskjaer said. "He complained a little bit after the last time we played Burnley. 

"We managed it as well as we could. He had some days off with treatment, we took him off when we could, he didn't start every game and then suddenly this was a new injury, so he didn't have any injuries before then."

United academy players D'Mani Mellor and Largie Ramazani have been tipped as possible replacements for Rashford, though Solskjaer suggested it was not the right time for the youngsters to come in.

Instead, Mason Greenwood looks set to continue his development, while Solskjaer hinted United may look to bring in a player this month.

"Of course, we're always looking at improving the squad and seeing if there's anything out there, but nothing that I can talk about now," he said.

"It might be too soon for [Mellor and Ramazani] yet. Of course, Mason is going to get more chances now. Juan [Mata] will have to step up again, so there'll be more chances for the ones we have in the squad.

"We know we're stretched with numbers and the injuries we've had, but we'll cope with that."

Related items

  • Man Utd sensation Greenwood ready for England call-up, says Solskjaer Man Utd sensation Greenwood ready for England call-up, says Solskjaer

    Manchester United teenage sensation Mason Greenwood is ready for an England call-up amid his fine form at Old Trafford, insisted manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Greenwood, 18, scored twice as red-hot United defeated relegation-threatened Bournemouth 5-2 in the Premier League on Saturday.

    The highly rated forward – who has drawn comparisons to former United star Robin van Persie – has netted 15 goals across all competitions this season, including eight in the Premier League.

    Solskjaer backed Greenwood to make the step up to Gareth Southgate's England squad.

    "When you play for Man United, I think that's a test that's good enough and difficult enough," said Solskjaer, whose United are in the midst of a 16-game unbeaten streak.

    "If you can handle playing for Man United then you can handle playing for any team and Mason's got the qualities that not many others have.

    "So he could play for England full team or Under-21s, I don't really mind. I know he's doing well for us and it's great to have him here.

    "Mason's a naturally good finisher, so he'll always score goals. He's a humble boy, he wants to learn, he listens and he works hard.

    "Mason is one of the best if not the best finisher I have worked with and seen. He is so calm."

    United, who have not lost since January, are fifth in the Premier League and two points behind Chelsea in the race for Champions League qualification with five games remaining.

    The Red Devils are next in action away to lowly Aston Villa on Thursday.

  • Guardiola: Man City defeat not a question of needing new players Guardiola: Man City defeat not a question of needing new players

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola does not believe Sunday's surprise Premier League loss to Southampton highlights the need for the club to sign new players.

    Guardiola's City suffered their third consecutive away defeat in the Premier League after going down 1-0 to Southampton at St Mary's on Sunday.

    After routing newly crowned champions Liverpool 4-0 last time out, City – who rested Kevin De Bruyne and others – succumbed to Che Adams' first Premier League goal as they fell 23 points adrift in second position.

    Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly and Bayern Munich's David Alaba have been among the players linked with moves to City at the end of the season.

    But when asked if City's defeat was a question of needing new players, Guardiola told reporters: "No, I don't think so.

    "I think we play good, honestly. We play with the character and desire to drive until the end. We played against Southampton who had 10 players in the penalty area. We did it really well.

    "We will review the game, and with the chances that we had, we can do more. It's difficult to create more chances than we created and the way we did it.

    "I'm so proud, so I liked the way we played but it's not enough. There's no complaint about the players. We played really well, I like it but it's not enough to win the games."

    Guardiola, meanwhile, does not feel City goalkeeper Ederson is to blame for the loss to Southampton.

    Adams scored the only goal of the game in the 16th minute, catching the Brazilian keeper off his line after Oleksandr Zinchenko had been dispossessed of the ball.

    "We use our keeper to build up our play. We use our keeper to play better," Guardiola said. "It gives us a lot. The mistake is part of the game but we didn't lose for that reason.

    "It happens many times this season this situation. The amount of chances we have but it's football. The amount of chances we have but not able to score goals."

  • Roma won't rush Zaniolo after long-awaited return – Fonseca Roma won't rush Zaniolo after long-awaited return – Fonseca

    Roma head coach Paulo Fonseca said the club will not rush Nicolo Zaniolo after the Italian star made his long-awaited comeback from injury.

    Zaniolo has flourished in the Italian capital since arriving from rivals Inter in 2018 but he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in January.

    However, the 21-year-old returned to action on Sunday – coming off the bench in the 66th minute of Roma's 2-1 Serie A loss to Napoli in a huge boost for Fonseca's side.

    "He had no more than 30 minutes, slowly he will become important again," Fonseca said post-match.

    "He entered a difficult moment but tried to help the team. Soon Zaniolo will be ready to help the team."

    Fonseca added: "It has been a positive moment, it has been a long time out and he is not yet in the best conditions to play many minutes. 

    "However, it was important for him to come back against a great team. Let's see how he responds during the week, we must be careful of this moment. Let's not forget that he's been out for a long time."

    Roma lost their third consecutive game to be sixth in the Serie A table with eight matches remaining.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.