EPL

Arteta accepts Arsenal may not bring in January reinforcements

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Mikel Arteta is prepared for the possibility of Arsenal not bringing in reinforcements this month after revealing existing negotiations have not progressed in recent days.

Arsenal are 10th in the Premier League with 29 points, 10 fewer than fourth-place Chelsea, leaving the Gunners in real danger of missing out on a Champions Leaguer return and perhaps European football altogether next season.

Since new coach Arteta took over last month, Arsenal have been linked with numerous new players, particularly given their bad luck with injuries.

Paris Saint-Germain's Layvin Kurzawa, Thomas Lemar of Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng have all been mentioned as potential targets, with the former the most strongly linked.

But Arteta seems pessimistic about the Gunners' chances in the transfer market.

When asked if Arsenal might not sign anyone this month, Arteta said: "It's a possibility, yeah. Things haven't moved at all since the weekend."

And when quizzed about PSG insisting no offer had been received from Arsenal for Kurzawa, Arteta added: "There is nothing new to say on any individual players and when we have more info, we'll let you know."

One player who has bolstered Arsenal's squad is Eddie Nketiah, the young striker recently returning from an unsuccessful loan spell at Leeds United.

Despite the 20-year-old's difficulties at Elland Road, Arteta previously suggested he can see Nketiah being of use before the end of the season – but the striker has been warned he will only get chances if he proves he deserves them.

"It would depend on the circumstances, the players we have available, his performance, the way he trains, the impact he makes every time he plays," Arteta said.

"He's a young player but I have to try and treat him exactly the same as the other ones. I will put him on the pitch because I think he deserves it.

"The way he trains, the way he shows every day how much he wants it will depend on him."

Related items

  • Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona

    Gennaro Gattuso has confirmed Napoli could be without key defender Kalidou Koulibaly for next week's Champions League game against Barcelona.

    Injuries have hampered the Senegal international this season and he has only played one Serie A match since the turn of the year.

    Napoli head to Brescia on Friday before hosting Barca four days later in the first leg of their last-16 tie with the LaLiga champions.

    And Gattuso, whose side have won five of their past six games in all competitions, is unsure whether Koulibaly will be available.

    "We'll need to objectively see what he has," Gattuso told reporters on Thursday. "He has swelling, so we need to listen to how he feels. 

    "Right now I have opted, together with the medical staff, to keep him sidelined for seven to 10 days.

    "We will evaluate after that how he feels physically. He will tell us how he feels."

    Napoli's improved form has lifted them to ninth in Serie A but they are 12 points behind fourth-placed Atalanta in the race for Champions League qualification.

    Gattuso is staying focused on the trip to second-bottom Brescia - with Koulibaly not included in the Napoli squad - rather than allowing the looming Barca game to act as a distraction.

    "I haven't heard anyone talk about Barcelona," Gattuso added. "We haven't prepared for Barcelona yet. We have prepared for the match against Brescia. We will think about Barcelona on Saturday after the analysis of the match against Brescia."

    Napoli striker Fernando Llorente will miss the Brescia game due to flu.

  • Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration

    Willian has hinted he will look to find another London-based club to play for if he and Chelsea do not agree to a contract extension, as he is desperate to remain in the English capital for family reasons.

    Brazil winger Willian has been at Chelsea since 2013, when he joined from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, and he has been a first-team regular for most of his time at Stamford Bridge.

    Willian has played in all but one of Chelsea's 26 Premier League games this term, despite becoming a target for criticism from some supporters, with Frank Lampard seemingly trusting of the 31-year-old.

    He claimed in December that contract talks have taken place regarding an extension beyond the end of the season, but with an agreement yet to be confirmed, doubt remains about his future, particularly after Chelsea agreed a deal to bring Ajax's Hakim Ziyech to the club in July.

    While Willian seems set on staying at Chelsea, he is also adamant about a desire to remain in London, potentially offering hope to other clubs in the area should he ultimately depart.

    Writing in a column for The Players' Tribune, Willian said: "I have played for Chelsea for more than six years now, and I can honestly say that I am very happy here.

    "If you ask my wife if she wants to leave London, she'll say no. My daughters feel the same way. Of course, Brazil is Brazil, right? It's our home, our culture. We always feel good when we go there on holiday and see family and friends, but London is my second home.

    "In fact, I recently passed a British citizenship test. Man, it was hard. It's British history in a nutshell. Some questions are so difficult that not even some of my British friends knew the answers!

    "As it turned out, I failed on my first two attempts, but got it on the third. I am now a British citizen!

    "So, London is where I want to stay. This is where I have my family, my church. I want my daughters to grow up here."

  • Ndidi to miss Leicester City clash with Man City Ndidi to miss Leicester City clash with Man City

    Wilfred Ndidi has been ruled out of Leicester City's Premier League clash with Manchester City on Saturday.

    The midfielder has missed his side's past two games - draws with Chelsea and Wolves - due to a knee problem.

    Manager Brendan Rodgers says he will not rush Ndidi back to face the champions and risk any setbacks in his recovery.

    "Wilf won't be available for the weekend," Rodgers told reporters on Thursday. "He's still in a process to try and get fit, so we'll see how he is next week. I'm not sure.

    "He's doing work inside, but you then have to progress that to outside and then when he can join the team. It's another intensity to join the team and then to play.

    "We just want to make sure he's right because he's such an important player for us. It's about the long term, too. There's no timeline on it. We'll see how he progresses."

    Ndidi's absence presents Rodgers with a problem in midfield, with Hamza Choudhury suspended for the game against Pep Guardiola's side and Nampalys Mendy also out with a knee injury.

    "They're three excellent players and obviously we have to find a strategy and a plan to come up with a game that can see us try and get three points," he said.

    "Wilf has obviously played more, but all three give you that defensive solidity, which is important for any team. They're not available, so we can't worry about that."

    Rodgers went on to distance Leicester from an approach for Adam Lallana, who is expected to leave Liverpool at the end of the season.

    "I've seen a lot of stuff around Adam and that we've approached Liverpool, which isn't the case," said Rodgers, who signed the player for Liverpool from Southampton in 2014.

    "He's at the stage of his contract where he will have options."

    Leicester, who are third, go into the game four points behind Manchester City in the table, having only won three of their past 10 league games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.