EFL

Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Derby County have confirmed they will contest the breach of spending rules they have been charged with by the English Football League (EFL).

The Championship club are accused of recording excess losses over a three-year period ending June 30, 2018.

However, Derby insist the charges – which relate to the £80million sale of their stadium Pride Park to the team's owner Mel Morris and the club's amortisation policy on player contracts – are unfounded.

According to a statement on Derby's official website, the EFL agreed to the sale of Pride Park and have not previously raised an issue over player amortisation.

"As a matter of law, the EFL is not entitled to bring either of the charges, having previously agreed to all of the arrangements surrounding the stadium sale and never having raised the issue of player amortisation before," the statement read.

"At all times, the club has acted transparently with the EFL and, in respect of the charges above, had received written approval for all of its submissions in respect of this legislation. No allegation has been raised to the contrary by the EFL. Rather, the EFL now claims that it made a 'mistake'.

"Had the EFL not given the green light in writing in respect of both charges, the club would have reacted accordingly. The club cannot re-trace the steps of the actions it legitimately took in good faith as a result of EFL approval of both matters.

"The EFL can choose to correct what they now see as an error in their decisions. However, it cannot punish the club for its own errors. The club shall therefore vigorously contest the charges and the EFL's legal right to bring them."

An independent disciplinary commission will hear representations from the EFL and Derby.

Last season, Derby's fellow Championship club Birmingham City were docked nine points following a similar charge from the EFL.

The Rams – who last year secured the signing of former Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney – sit 10 points above the relegation zone.

Related items

  • Frustrated Frank Lampard says Chelsea season 'starts here' after controversial Man Utd defeat Frustrated Frank Lampard says Chelsea season 'starts here' after controversial Man Utd defeat

    Chelsea's season has to "start now" according to Frank Lampard, whose side wasted chances and endured VAR frustration as they lost 2-0 at home to Manchester United.

    The Blues, who face Tottenham next, have now won just one of their past six Premier League matches after Monday's defeat at Stamford Bridge, with their place in the top four under serious threat.

    Manchester City's ban from the Champions League – should it be upheld – will mean fifth place could be enough for a Premier League side to qualify for Europe's top-tier competition for next season.

    However, just seven points separate Chelsea and Arsenal in 10th in what has become a congested race for Europe.

    Lampard felt aggrieved that VAR was not on Chelsea's side against United, with Harry Maguire escaping a possible red card for a clash with Michy Batshuayi and the Blues seeing two goals disallowed in the second half, but he again pointed to his side's profligacy in front of goal as a factor in their defeat.

    "It's tough to take on lots of levels, some footballing, some others," Lampard, who was without leading scorer Tammy Abraham due to injury, told Sky Sports.

    "It's frustrating, but that's life. I'm not upset with the work ethic or input. Their heads are down in there and I have to correct that. It's not a 2-0 game but the reality of football is that it is a 2-0 game because of moments. 

    "We have a feeling of Groundhog Day, whatever you want to call it. There are footballing things, which get clearer every week.

    "There's always work to do every day. At the minute, we're fourth and the season starts here. There are things I can criticise; I'm not soft. If we're not going to have productivity to finish, it's very difficult to win games."

    Anthony Martial gave United a half-time lead but Kurt Zouma thought he had restored parity early in the second half, only for the goal to be ruled out for a foul by Cesar Azpilicueta, who was deemed to have pushed Brandon Williams.

    Olivier Giroud's header was then disallowed for offside after Maguire had made it 2-0 from a Bruno Fernandes corner.

    "Maguire should get a red card and then he scores the second goal, and the game changes off that," Lampard, who also confirmed N'Golo Kante had suffered an adductor injury, said in a news conference.

    "That's a major part of what VAR was for. The referee can't see all the angles and if you're not going to use the monitor, I don't understand it.

    "The Zouma goal should have stood. Azpilicueta gets shoved in the first place. It's certainly not clear and obvious. It's just a wrong decision, isn't it, which is harder to take with the presence of VAR than it would have been before.

    "Love it or hate it, if something happens and they don't make the right decision, it's very confusing to say the least. Everyone I've spoken to has said the same thing."

  • Inter Miami belatedly confirm Rodolfo Pizarro signing Inter Miami belatedly confirm Rodolfo Pizarro signing

    Rodolfo Pizarro has finally been confirmed as Inter Miami's second Designated Player (DP) signing two days after his debut in a pre-season friendly.

    Inter - co-owned by former England captain David Beckham - are preparing for their first season in MLS in 2020.

    The Florida club have reportedly paid Monterrey $12million for Pizarro after lengthy negotiations.

    It was said Monterrey initially wanted $20m for the Mexico midfielder amid a complication with his release clause.

    Pizarro scored in Inter's 2-1 defeat to Philadelphia Union on Saturday before the deal was belatedly finalised on Monday.

    Inter have been linked with a host of big names from European football, including Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez, and still have one remaining DP slot.

    Beckham's team will make their MLS bow against Supporters' Shield holders Los Angeles FC on March 1.

  • Milan 1-0 Torino: Rebic strike secures first win in four Milan 1-0 Torino: Rebic strike secures first win in four

    Ante Rebic scored his sixth goal of 2020 as Milan claimed a first win in four in all competitions and climbed to eighth place in Serie A with a 1-0 victory over Torino on Monday.

    In-form Rebic found his opportunities limited earlier in the season but has now scored in three consecutive games after strikes against Inter and, in the Coppa Italia, Juventus.

    Unlike in those matches, Milan this time held onto their lead to secure a victory that boosts their hopes of a Europa League place.

    Torino, who rarely threatened at San Siro, have a five-point cushion to the relegation places but have now suffered four consecutive defeats.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.