EPL

Mourinho surprised by Inter's Eriksen optimism

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Jose Mourinho insists Tottenham have not received an offer for Christian Eriksen from Inter despite the Serie A club's reported optimism of signing the midfielder.

Eriksen, whose contract expires at the end of the season, was heavily linked with a move away in the previous transfer window.

Spurs are thought to be keen to sell the Denmark international this month to avoid losing him for free when the campaign comes to a close.

Inter are said to be confident of concluding a deal for the former Ajax playmaker, but Mourinho sees little reason for the Nerazzurri's apparent stance.

"If they are confident, it's because they are ready to make us an offer which didn't happen yet," Mourinho told a media conference ahead of Saturday's clash with Watford.

"When I see people speaking, especially people with responsibilities speaking about it, I am a little bit surprised.

"I still don't understand why that optimism because in this moment, for a few matches, people are speaking about 'is Eriksen going to play? Has Eriksen played already his last match for the club?' and the situation didn't change, Eriksen plays tomorrow."

Asked if he felt it was sad how Eriksen is potentially leaving things with the Spurs fans, Mourinho replied: "I think he's trying to do his best, and I think that it's normal that until January 31 his brain is not totally focused.

"I think it's a normal consequence of the situation, if I am a player and I am reading every day and probably I'm having information about that optimism you are speaking about, I think it's normal that the player doesn't know very well what is going on."

While Eriksen could be on his way out, midfielder Giovani Lo Celso appears likely to become a permanent member of the Spurs squad.

The Argentina midfielder signed on a season-long loan with an option to buy from Real Betis in August, and Mourinho anticipates that option being taken up.

"I imagine yes, I think it is something that comes from the summer," Mourinho said about the prospect of the 23-year-old staying on. 

"There are some loans that they have the opportunity to be in control of the situation like is happening with Gedson [Fernandes].

"There are some emergency loans and there are other loans where the objective is to be in control of the future of the player without any need of further negotiations. I think Giovani is going to stay with us."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19 Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19

    The Wellington Phoenix staff member who tested positive for coronavirus has been cleared.

    The A-League club announced last month that a staff member had tested positive for COVID-19.

    Wellington said on Wednesday the person had recovered and been cleared to return to their family.

    "The Wellington Phoenix advises that a member of its staff who tested positive for COVID-19 last month has now fully recovered and been reunited with their family," a club statement read.

    "The person was tested following their return to New Zealand as a precaution after showing minor symptoms. Following strict Ministry of Health advice, they immediately quarantined themselves from the public and their bubble."

    New Zealand has reported more than 1,200 cases of coronavirus, including one death.

    The A-League season was suspended last month with the Phoenix sitting third.

  • He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting

    Liverpool star Sadio Mane revealed Jurgen Klopp said he was "like a rapper" as he turned down the chance to sign the attacker while at Borussia Dortmund.

    Klopp opted against signing Mane during his time at Dortmund, where he was coach from 2008 to 2015, a decision he later said was a mistake.

    Mane felt the Liverpool manager had made an error, joking about how Klopp had perceived him at the time.

    "He said I was like a rapper!" Mane told The Guardian.

    "But I think I gave my best so what can I say? That's part of life – you never know how you are going to get along with people. But I think he was wrong for sure.

    "It was an experience for me as well though. I knew I had to show him more until we met again."

    Together at Liverpool, Mane has developed into one of the world's best attackers under Klopp.

    Mane praised the German for his belief in his players, highlighting Liverpool's incredible comeback win over Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals last season.

    "What makes him special is that he never stops believing," Mane said.

    "In the meeting before the game he was really convinced that we could do it, even though we were missing two of the best players in the world [Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino].

    "He pushed the boys hard to give everything possible and tried to take the pressure off us."

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president

    UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin sees "no way" in which Liverpool could be denied the Premier League title this season despite the coronavirus pandemic.

    Liverpool were 25 points clear atop the table when the campaign was suspended due to coronavirus last month.

    It remains unclear when, and if, the season will resume, but Ceferin said Jurgen Klopp's men were almost certain to be champions, giving the club their first top-flight title since 1990.

    "I see no way to keep Liverpool untitled," he told Slovenian sports daily Ekipa.

    "If it is played, then they will almost certainly win it – theoretically they have not reached the guaranteed level, but it is practically close.

    "However, if it could not be played, it would also be necessary to announce the results in some way … and then the champions should be determined. And of course again I don't see a scenario that would not be Liverpool.

    "I understand that fans will be disappointed if it happens in an empty stadium or even at a green table, but I believe they will win the title in one way or another."

    However, Ceferin insisted the plan was still for leagues around the world to be completed.

    "I just spoke hypothetically," he said. "We are also preparing for such scenarios, but we are not dealing with the details for now.

    "At this point, we are fully committed to completing the competition."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.