EPL

Hodgson must be bored at home - Guardiola marvels at Palace boss

By Sports Desk January 17, 2020

Pep Guardiola joked Roy Hodgson must get "bored at home" ahead of his next meeting with the veteran Crystal Palace manager.

Manchester City boss Guardiola turns 49 on Saturday, when the Premier League champions welcome Palace to the Etihad Stadium for a fixture the Eagles won 3-2 last season.

The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich head coach was once again quick to voice his admiration for Hodgson, 72, who has made a successful return to top-flight management after his England tenure ended in 2016.

"Of course I admire him. It's incredible how he still has the patience to be a manager at his age," Guardiola told a pre-match news conference.

"It's incredible and he is doing really well. We cannot forget the situation when he took over when they had zero points and everyone considered them relegated.

"Instead of that, he did an incredible job and it is a pleasure and an honour for me every time I get to see him."

Guardiola, a famously intense presence at the training ground and in the dugout, does not envisage emulating Hodgson's longevity.

"I think when you are still training at 74 it is because you are bored at home," he chuckled.

"When you retire you have curiosity to do other things. The problem is when you have no interests to do anything else and you are at home doing nothing.

"If afterwards you want to enjoy other things, why should it be a problem? I am interested in other things and I think I am going to do them when I am not a manager, but I enjoy being a manager."

Guardiola reported Aymeric Laporte had enjoyed another encouraging week working with his team-mates as he closes in on a return from meniscus surgery.

Form and fitness problems mean John Stones has not been able to effectively step up in his fellow centre-back's absence, but the City manager joined his former assistant Mikel Arteta in shutting down talk that the England international could join Arsenal on loan.

"I am not going to talk in this period about the rumours, our players or other players," he added.

"We are linked so far with five million players we are going to buy.

"Don't ask about that because you know the answer."

Related items

  • The only rule that works in VAR is offside - Hasenhuttl criticises Wenger's proposed change The only rule that works in VAR is offside - Hasenhuttl criticises Wenger's proposed change

    Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has strongly criticised Arsene Wenger's proposed change to how offside works in the VAR era.

    Former Arsenal manager Wenger, appointed chief of global football development at FIFA in November, said a tweak should be made after this season's implementation of VAR in the Premier League led to many goals being ruled out for marginal offsides.

    "There is room to change the rule and not say that a part of a player's nose is offside, so you are offside because you can score with that," Wenger said at the recent Laureus Sports Awards. 

    "Instead, you will not be offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender, even if other parts of the attacker's body are in front. That will sort it out and you will no longer have decisions about millimetres and a fraction of the attacker being in front of the defensive line."

    According to Hasenhuttl, Wenger's idea would not solve any problems at all.

    "The only rule that really works in VAR is the offside," said Hasenhuttl.

    "And we want to change this? I don't know why. It's the only black-and-white decision which is always right or wrong. The rest is subjective.

    "If we change it the way he wants to do it, we can stop playing offside because it won't work anymore.

    "It will change the game massively in my opinion. The only thing that really works well at the moment is the decision about offside. And everything else we must discuss more."

    The body that governs football's global laws, the International Football Association Board, has ruled out an imminent change to the offside law, with its annual general meeting due to be held in Belfast on February 29.

  • Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona Gattuso: Koulibaly a doubt for Barcelona

    Gennaro Gattuso has confirmed Napoli could be without key defender Kalidou Koulibaly for next week's Champions League game against Barcelona.

    Injuries have hampered the Senegal international this season and he has only played one Serie A match since the turn of the year.

    Napoli head to Brescia on Friday before hosting Barca four days later in the first leg of their last-16 tie with the LaLiga champions.

    And Gattuso, whose side have won five of their past six games in all competitions, is unsure whether Koulibaly will be available.

    "We'll need to objectively see what he has," Gattuso told reporters on Thursday. "He has swelling, so we need to listen to how he feels. 

    "Right now I have opted, together with the medical staff, to keep him sidelined for seven to 10 days.

    "We will evaluate after that how he feels physically. He will tell us how he feels."

    Napoli's improved form has lifted them to ninth in Serie A but they are 12 points behind fourth-placed Atalanta in the race for Champions League qualification.

    Gattuso is staying focused on the trip to second-bottom Brescia - with Koulibaly not included in the Napoli squad - rather than allowing the looming Barca game to act as a distraction.

    "I haven't heard anyone talk about Barcelona," Gattuso added. "We haven't prepared for Barcelona yet. We have prepared for the match against Brescia. We will think about Barcelona on Saturday after the analysis of the match against Brescia."

    Napoli striker Fernando Llorente will miss the Brescia game due to flu.

  • Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration Willian eager to remain in London as Chelsea contract nears expiration

    Willian has hinted he will look to find another London-based club to play for if he and Chelsea do not agree to a contract extension, as he is desperate to remain in the English capital for family reasons.

    Brazil winger Willian has been at Chelsea since 2013, when he joined from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, and he has been a first-team regular for most of his time at Stamford Bridge.

    Willian has played in all but one of Chelsea's 26 Premier League games this term, despite becoming a target for criticism from some supporters, with Frank Lampard seemingly trusting of the 31-year-old.

    He claimed in December that contract talks have taken place regarding an extension beyond the end of the season, but with an agreement yet to be confirmed, doubt remains about his future, particularly after Chelsea agreed a deal to bring Ajax's Hakim Ziyech to the club in July.

    While Willian seems set on staying at Chelsea, he is also adamant about a desire to remain in London, potentially offering hope to other clubs in the area should he ultimately depart.

    Writing in a column for The Players' Tribune, Willian said: "I have played for Chelsea for more than six years now, and I can honestly say that I am very happy here.

    "If you ask my wife if she wants to leave London, she'll say no. My daughters feel the same way. Of course, Brazil is Brazil, right? It's our home, our culture. We always feel good when we go there on holiday and see family and friends, but London is my second home.

    "In fact, I recently passed a British citizenship test. Man, it was hard. It's British history in a nutshell. Some questions are so difficult that not even some of my British friends knew the answers!

    "As it turned out, I failed on my first two attempts, but got it on the third. I am now a British citizen!

    "So, London is where I want to stay. This is where I have my family, my church. I want my daughters to grow up here."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.