That backfired! - Solskjaer rues substitute Rashford's latest 'knock'

By Sports Desk January 15, 2020

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer acknowledged his decision to introduce Marcus Rashford as a substitute against Wolves "backfired" as the Manchester United star hobbled off to leave his involvement in Sunday's clash with Liverpool in doubt.

Rashford came off the bench three minutes before Juan Mata scored the only goal of Wednesday's FA Cup third-round replay win at Old Trafford.

But the England striker lasted little longer as he went down following a challenge with Matt Doherty, attempting to play on with an apparent back problem before he had to be taken off 10 minutes from time.

Solskjaer, who said there were "no updates" on a transfer breakthrough, confirmed Rashford had been dealing with a back problem, and the manager was hopeful his risky change would not cost United ahead of a trip to Anfield.

"Yeah, that backfired," Solskjaer told BT Sport. "But you've got to go for them once in a while.

"It seems like he's got a knock there and he couldn't run. Let's test him the next couple of days and hopefully he'll be okay for Sunday. I don't know.

"He's struggled a little bit with a couple of knocks with his back lately, and he got another one which didn't help."

Goalscorer Mata said of team-mate Rashford: "Hopefully it's not too bad and he can be ready [for Liverpool].

"He's on fire, scoring in every game. It was a shame that he couldn't be on the pitch for more minutes, but hopefully it's nothing."

The midfielder added on the cup win: "[Wolves] are a difficult team. They play in a certain way and they do it very well. They are very well organised and difficult to break down.

"But definitely today is a good result for us. It's been a good couple of days and now we have a big one coming, so hopefully we can keep it up."

Related items

  • Pogba a doddle to play against, claims Souness Pogba a doddle to play against, claims Souness

    Paul Pogba would be "an absolute doddle to play against" because of his poor work ethic, according to Graeme Souness.

    The Liverpool legend is a long-time critic of the Manchester United midfielder and reckons he would easily get the better of the Frenchman.

    While Souness lauded Pogba's technical and physical attributes, he blasted the 27-year-old's attitude. 

    Writing in his column in The Times, Souness responded to a reader's question about his supposed "disdain" for Pogba.

    "Pogba has absolutely everything to be a top player — great athleticism, super technique — but his attitude to the game is the polar opposite of mine," wrote the Scot, who won the top flight five times as a Liverpool player.

    "He goes out with one thought in his mind: 'I'm going to show everyone how clever I am today and be the star of the show'.

    "My attitude, the way I was taught, was: 'Go out and work harder than the guy you're in against and see where that takes you'.

    "He'd be an absolute doddle to play against."

    Pogba has been largely inconsistent since returning to Old Trafford, where his contract is set to expire next year.

    United have an option to extend his stay for a further 12 months, although the France star has been frequently linked with Real Madrid amid an injury-ruined season.

  • Rumour Has It: Camavinga the preference for Real Madrid amid changes Rumour Has It: Camavinga the preference for Real Madrid amid changes

    Real Madrid have seemingly set their sights on Eduardo Camavinga, and it may be one of several changes at the LaLiga club.

    Camavinga, 17, has been linked to several European giants after impressing for Rennes.

    The teenage midfielder is a target for Madrid, who could be set for sweeping changes in the close season.

     

    TOP STORY – CAMAVINGA THE PREFERENCE FOR REAL MADRID

    Camavinga is the preference for Real Madrid as it is likely to prove tough to land Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba, according to Marca.

    Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane is also keen to avoid becoming too reliant on Casemiro, the report says.

    Camavinga has made 25 Ligue 1 appearances for Rennes this season, including 24 starts.

    ROUND-UP

    - It may be just one of several changes at Real Madrid. AS reports there must be exits if players are to come in, with James Rodriguez, Gareth Bale, Lucas Vazquez and Mariano Diaz potentially leaving. The futures of Nacho Fernandez, Marcelo, Luka Modric and Brahim Diaz are also uncertain.

    - Staying at Real Madrid and AS reports the coronavirus pandemic may impact what the club do with Martin Odegaard. The Norway international was expected to spend another season on loan at Real Sociedad but could return ahead of the next campaign as clubs become stricter with their finances.

    - Diego Costa has scored just twice in 19 games for Atletico Madrid this season and could be set for a move. Sport reports Roma are interested in the 31-year-old forward.

    - Achraf Hakimi appears likely to return to Real Madrid from his loan at Borussia Dortmund. However, the Mirror reports Chelsea have enquired about the defender.

    - After impressing with Wolves in the Premier League, Raul Jimenez is attracting interest. Sport reports the Mexico forward could return to LaLiga, with Real Madrid and former club Atletico Madrid interested.

    - Out of contract at the end of the season, Pedro is poised to leave Chelsea. La Gazzetta dello Sport reports Lazio are interested in the attacker.

  • Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster

    Former AC Milan and Chelsea forward Andriy Shevchenko believes the coronavirus pandemic is similar to the Chernobyl disaster.

    More than 30,800 people have died from coronavirus, with the number of cases worldwide exceeding 660,000.

    Shevchenko, who was a child at the time of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 that reportedly killed 54 people and is said to have led to thousands of deaths, said he saw similarities.

    "I lived a moment very similar to this. At the time, I was nine years old," the Ukraine coach told Sky Sport.

    "The only thing we have to do is avoid stupid behaviour. None of us can be sure that we have no contracted the virus.

    "We must not go out, we must not think only of us, but above all of those people for whom the infection would be a greater problem."

    Shevchenko thanked doctors and nurses and urged people to respect guidance from their governments.

    Italy, where Shevchenko played with AC Milan from 1999-2006, has seen more than 10,000 deaths due to coronavirus.

    "The only solution is to respect the rules of the government – that is to stay at home and give doctors the opportunity to do their job, which is really huge," he said.

    "Give them volunteer nurses, they are the heroes of our time. They must be thanked for all they are doing."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.