Bartomeu claims respect for Valverde despite unseemly Barca exit

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu does not believe axed head coach Ernesto Valverde was treated unfairly despite admitting holding discussions with several prospective replacements while he was still in his post.

Barca unveiled ex-Real Betis boss Quique Setien as Valverde's successor on Tuesday, concluding a tumultuous few days at Camp Nou.

Valverde parted ways with the club amid mounting pressure on the back of last week's Supercopa de Espana defeat to Atletico Madrid, even though he won LaLiga in both his completed seasons at the helm and sat joint top alongside Real Madrid this time around.

"Last year there were a lot of requests for him to not continue and I personally always believed in him," Bartomeu said of Valverde, speaking alongside Setien at a news conference.

"I liked how he was as a person, as a coach, he had the confidence of the club. We decided to continue with him in this project.

"The only thing is, as I said before, in recent weeks there was a dynamic [that was] not very good, it wasn't new to him. It's a collective job – we spoke to find solutions and after speaking we decided a few days ago the best thing for a boost to the team was a change in coach, that allows us to handle the second half of the season on a high.

"We're doing well in the league and champions league, I like what Ernesto Valverde did a lot, but it was the moment to make the change for a boost.

"I want to thank Ernesto. He is a great person with great values. We're friends with him, we had a great relationship with him and a lot of respect for him."

News broke over the weekend that Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal held talks with his old team-mate Xavi over replacing Valverde.

Xavi remains with Qatari club Al Sadd, although Bartomeu suggested Barca's search for a new coach went beyond the club great and Setien.

"Abidal has been in touch with everyone talking about future and plans and he will explain what's gone on, without names," he said.

"No names bar one has come up and been public, because that's not our style. He's been working to find coaches and speaking with them.

"He's brought Setien, who we like very much."

Abidal himself added: "I'm not going to just talk about Xavi. When it comes to taking decisions, the board knows that answers are needed. Every manager has his DNA and decisions. They're all different.

"Setien is here because we like his way of working and his style. It's something we like, and in football we know a lot can change, but we have full confidence in the coach and the staff.

"From what I've seen in first day of training, there's a lot of changes. I think we can reach our objectives with him. I respect all the coaches I spoke to, but we had to take a decision and I think the perfect coach for us is Setien."

Related items

  • Warner given official nod for UK Privy Council appeal Warner given official nod for UK Privy Council appeal

    Former FIFA vice Jack Warner has officially been given final approval to appeal extradition proceedings filed against him to the UK Privy Council.

    Warner, the disgraced former CONCACAF boss, has been battling to avoid extradition to the United States since 2015.  The ex-football official faces charges of corruption stemming from alleged financial impropriety committed during a long tenure with world football’s governing body. 

    Last year, Warner tried and failed to have the extradition appeal dismissed on procedural grounds.  The three judges of Trinidad and Tobago’s Court of Appeal opted to uphold the original decision to dismiss Warner’s review, which was made in September 2017.

    Warner, who was also been ordered to pay US$79m in damages to CONCACAF by a federal judge in New York City last summer, is currently out on $TT 2.5m bail and banned for life by FIFA.

    The authority to proceed (ATP) with Warner’s extradition as part of the FIFA indictments, was signed in 2016 by Trinidad and Tobago Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi.  Warner is wanted on various counts of corruption, graft, bribery and money laundering.

     

  • Who is to blame for Manchester United's fall from greatness? Who is to blame for Manchester United's fall from greatness?
  • Mane has a hamstring issue, Klopp confirms Mane has a hamstring issue, Klopp confirms

    Sadio Mane has a hamstring injury but Liverpool do not yet know the extent of the problem, manager Jurgen Klopp said.

    The Senegal star went off in the first half of the Premier League leaders' 2-1 victory at Wolves on Thursday.

    Mane pulled up when running for a Mohamed Salah pass and was replaced by Takumi Minamino 33 minutes in.

    Klopp hopes the injury is not serious but will wait until further checks can be carried out on Friday.

    "Sadio, it's a real shame he had to go off," he told BBC Sport. "Hopefully, it's not too bad, just a muscle tweak, but we will see tomorrow."

    Klopp added in a news conference: "He felt something in the hamstring. We don't know yet; we have to wait."

    Jordan Henderson's opener was cancelled out by Raul Jimenez and Wolves looked to be heading for what would have been a deserved point before Roberto Firmino struck in the 84th minute.

    Klopp accepted his side were not at their best, with Wolves' goal particularly frustrating, but he was delighted with Firmino's clinical composure.

    "We scored a wonderful goal, we had wonderful possession but the set-up from Wolves is so good - yes, it's counter-attacking, but it's about being well in possession, using the width of the pitch," he said.

    "The goal from a counter-attack doesn't make sense when you're one-nil up, but okay.

    "We changed the system two or three times, we calmed it down. We had incredible chances in the first half and then at the end it was a magic moment from Bobby.

    "The boys are human. It was a little bit up and down. We had a discussion on the pitch, there was stuff to improve but set-pieces can bring us back in the game, a good bit of skill can bring us back in the game. Wolves were really strong but it's clear we could settle again.

    "You just have to find a way to win and have someone who makes the perfect decision and that was Bobby again."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.