Former Barcelona boss Valverde: I had tough and difficult times

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Ernesto Valverde said his goodbyes at Barcelona on Tuesday and admitted his spell at Camp Nou had occasionally been "tough and difficult".

Valverde was sacked late on Monday after two-and-a-half years in charge, during which time he led the club to back-to-back LaLiga crowns. 

Barca lead the way again this year - level on points with Real Madrid - but the club's board decided to act, with their Supercopa de Espana semi-final loss to Atletico Madrid last week swiftly followed by a meeting with former midfielder Xavi, now at the helm of Qatari club Al Sadd.

Xavi is reported to have held reservations over taking charge midway through the season and, after a seemingly frantic search, Barca settled on Quique Setien as Valverde's replacement, the former Real Betis boss agreeing a deal until June 2022.

Valverde returned to the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper on Tuesday to speak to his former colleagues, after which the club released a letter from the 55-year-old to supporters.

It read: "Dear Barca fans.

"My time as Barcelona coach has come to an end. It has been an intense two and a half years right from the start.

"In that time I have enjoyed some joyful moments celebrating victories and trophies but also others that have been tough and difficult. However, above all I would like to highlight my experience with the fans and the affection showed towards me during my time as coach.

"I would like to thank the president Josep Maria Bartomeu and the board of directors for giving me the opportunity to coach the first team and their confidence during all this time.

"I would also like to thank all the people I have worked with at the club for their support and how they treated me during the two-and-a-half seasons, especially those who work in and around the first team and with whom I have shared so many moments at the Ciutat Esportiva and during away trips.

"Of course, I would like to thank the players for all their efforts that have allowed us to claim four trophies together. From this day, I wish them all the luck in the world and to the new coach Quique Setien also.

"All the best to everyone.

"Visca Barca and Visca Catalonia."

Setien is due to formally sign his contract at 12:30 local time before a news conference an hour later.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay

    Borussia Dortmund are reportedly maintaining a firm stance over Jadon Sancho, while Barcelona still want Memphis Depay.

    The Sancho transfer saga continues to dominate talk as Manchester United chase the Dortmund star.

    But the Bundesliga club are seemingly unmoved.

     

    TOP STORY – DORTMUND ADAMANT SANCHO WILL STAY

    Dortmund are adamant Sancho will not be sold this transfer window, according to Sky Sports.

    United have continued to be linked with the England international, who scored 17 goals and provided 16 assists in 32 Bundesliga games last season.

    However, Dortmund's asking price of £108million (€120m) has reportedly proven to be a stumbling block.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Late in the transfer window, there may still be movement at Barcelona. Sport reports Ronald Koeman still wants Lyon star Depay. It also says Ajax full-back Sergino Dest is close to signing, while Porto are trying to loan midfielder Riqui Puig. Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo says Barca will make a new offer for Eric Garcia after Manchester City signed Benfica defender Ruben Dias.

    - Amid uncertainty over Luka Jovic's future at Real Madrid, AS reports LaLiga's champions want the forward to make a loan move. Jovic struggled in his first season at Madrid in 2019-20.

    - There could be more movement at Chelsea. Fabrizio Romano says the Premier League club are still looking at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice as their main target, but will first try to sell players.

    - Antonio Rudiger could be among the exits at Chelsea. Sky Sports reports Tottenham are interested in signing the defender.

    - Talk about Rhian Brewster's Liverpool future continues. The Sun says Sheffield United are offering £17m for the forward and are prepared to agree to a buy-back clause of around £40m. The Blades have failed to score in their first three Premier League games and are second bottom.

    - Lyon are reportedly chasing Milan midfielder Lucas Paqueta. L'Equipe claims the Ligue 1 club offered to take the 23-year-old on a one-year loan with an €18m purchase option, a deal which was rejected. However, it reports Lyon will return with an improved offer.

  • Barcelona to begin verifying signatures behind no confidence motion against Bartomeu Barcelona to begin verifying signatures behind no confidence motion against Bartomeu

    Barcelona will on Tuesday begin the process of verifying the signatures behind the no confidence motion initiated against president Josep Maria Bartomeu and the board.

    The 'Mes que una Mocio' movement was set up in July in a bid to remove a "board of directors that put their interests before those of the club" and gained traction when Lionel Messi announced his desire to leave following the 8-2 Champions League quarter-final humiliation at the hands of Bayern Munich in August.

    With 20,687 people backing the motion, Barca has set up a "vote of censure board" that will spend 10 working days checking whether the application meets the requirements to progress.

    The panel will be chaired by Catalan Football Federation delegate Josep Maria Vallbona and also include Barca board members Marta Plana and Jordi Argemi, and the motion's signatories Jordi Farre and Josep Triado.

    "The [vote of censure] board will meet on 29 September at 9.30am CEST and in the space of 10 working days they will make sure that the vote of censure application has met all the necessary requirements and, in particular, has due cause and has enough support amongst members," the club said in a statement.

    "As set out in the statutes, the board will be able to invalidate support that is not sufficiently validated and they have the power to carry out the necessary inquiries to ascertain its authenticity. 

    "If all the requirements are met, the application will be admitted and the club's board of directors will call a vote that must take place at a date no sooner than 10 working days away but no later than 20.

    "If the requirements are not met than the application for the vote of censure will be rejected."

    Messi did not end up leaving Barca, claiming Bartomeu made it "impossible" for him to do so by going back on his word to let him go for free.

    However, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner only remains under contract until the end of June.

    Presidential elections were brought forward in the wake of the Bayern defeat and have since been scheduled for March.

  • Madrid confirm Kroos injury following tests Madrid confirm Kroos injury following tests

    Real Madrid have confirmed Toni Kroos suffered a muscle injury in the 3-2 LaLiga win over Real Betis on Saturday. 

    The Germany international had to be substituted in first-half stoppage time in Seville, Luka Modric coming on to replace his fellow midfielder. 

    Following tests on Monday, Madrid announced Kroos has an issue in the gluteal region, though did not reveal how long the 30-year-old will be sidelined. 

    “Following tests carried out today on our player, Toni Kroos, by the Real Madrid medical services, he has been diagnosed with a muscular injury to the left gluteus medius," a statement from the club read.  

    "His recovery will continue to be assessed." 

    Zinedine Zidane's squad are next in action on Wednesday, hosting Real Valladolid, while the reigning champions travel to Levante at the weekend. 

    Kroos could also be a doubt for a trio of upcoming international fixtures. Germany play Turkey in a friendly on October 7, followed by Nations League games against Ukraine and Switzerland during the break. 

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.