EPL

Mourinho says 'I'm not an idiot' over Eriksen form as he waits for Gedson Fernandes news

By Sports Desk January 13, 2020

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says he is "not an idiot" and can see Christian Eriksen is a long way from his best, while adding he is "waiting for news" on the signing of Gedson Fernandes.

Eriksen has been heavily linked with a move to Inter as his contract is due to expire at the end of the season and has only registered two goals and the same number of assists in 18 Premier League outings this season.

The Denmark international was criticised for his performance in the 1-0 home Premier League defeat to Liverpool on Saturday, with Mourinho asked if he had seen a lack of effort from the 27-year-old.

"If you ask me if this is the best Christian Eriksen, I have to be honest and say no," Mourinho said ahead of Tuesday's FA Cup third-round replay against Middlesbrough, where he is likely to start Eriksen.

"I also think the same as you think and probably what our fans thought in the game. He didn’t have a very good performance against Liverpool, I have to agree with that.

"If you ask me if I know the reasons, I'm not an idiot, I’ve been in football for many years. I know clearly that a player who is in this situation is not a player that even if he wants [to perform], it's normal that a player doesn’t perform at the highest level. 

"I'm not blaming or criticising the player. I can also say that he is helping us in matches that he is playing with us. 

"He has had positive performances and contributions for example the game against Olympiacos which was a fundamental match for us to qualify, same against Norwich he had a very good performance. 

"We have very, very important injuries and every player we have has to be ready to help the team. We are not in a position to think anything different than that." 

Amid reports Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes is undergoing a medical at Tottenham ahead of becoming Mourinho's first signing, the Spurs boss was reluctant to discuss the 21-year-old, but did say he was awaiting an update.

The Portugal international is expected to sign on an initial 18-month loan with an obligation for Spurs to buy him for £55million, having won the race with West Ham for the player's signature.

Mourinho said of Fernandes: "I am waiting for news. News can come or not. I'm more worried about Middlesbrough than the market.

"Even if you get a player you cannot play him in a replay. So in this moment I'm not interested in Gedson or any kind of player."

After being handed a Premier League debut against Liverpool on Saturday, defender Japhet Tanganga is also poised to face Boro.

Asked if the 20-year-old was going to be out of contract having only signed a one-year deal ahead of the season, Mourinho indicated an extension had been done.

He added: "Do you think I would play him if his contract was expiring?"

Toby Alderweireld has started all 13 matches under Mourinho, who said the Belgium defender would be rested against Boro but, due to the club's injury list, he cannot afford to give any others a break as he would like to.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19 Coronavirus: Wellington Phoenix staff member cleared after contracting COVID-19

    The Wellington Phoenix staff member who tested positive for coronavirus has been cleared.

    The A-League club announced last month that a staff member had tested positive for COVID-19.

    Wellington said on Wednesday the person had recovered and been cleared to return to their family.

    "The Wellington Phoenix advises that a member of its staff who tested positive for COVID-19 last month has now fully recovered and been reunited with their family," a club statement read.

    "The person was tested following their return to New Zealand as a precaution after showing minor symptoms. Following strict Ministry of Health advice, they immediately quarantined themselves from the public and their bubble."

    New Zealand has reported more than 1,200 cases of coronavirus, including one death.

    The A-League season was suspended last month with the Phoenix sitting third.

  • He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting He said I was like a rapper – Mane remembers Klopp meeting

    Liverpool star Sadio Mane revealed Jurgen Klopp said he was "like a rapper" as he turned down the chance to sign the attacker while at Borussia Dortmund.

    Klopp opted against signing Mane during his time at Dortmund, where he was coach from 2008 to 2015, a decision he later said was a mistake.

    Mane felt the Liverpool manager had made an error, joking about how Klopp had perceived him at the time.

    "He said I was like a rapper!" Mane told The Guardian.

    "But I think I gave my best so what can I say? That's part of life – you never know how you are going to get along with people. But I think he was wrong for sure.

    "It was an experience for me as well though. I knew I had to show him more until we met again."

    Together at Liverpool, Mane has developed into one of the world's best attackers under Klopp.

    Mane praised the German for his belief in his players, highlighting Liverpool's incredible comeback win over Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals last season.

    "What makes him special is that he never stops believing," Mane said.

    "In the meeting before the game he was really convinced that we could do it, even though we were missing two of the best players in the world [Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino].

    "He pushed the boys hard to give everything possible and tried to take the pressure off us."

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president Coronavirus: Liverpool will win Premier League title even if season is cancelled – UEFA president

    UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin sees "no way" in which Liverpool could be denied the Premier League title this season despite the coronavirus pandemic.

    Liverpool were 25 points clear atop the table when the campaign was suspended due to coronavirus last month.

    It remains unclear when, and if, the season will resume, but Ceferin said Jurgen Klopp's men were almost certain to be champions, giving the club their first top-flight title since 1990.

    "I see no way to keep Liverpool untitled," he told Slovenian sports daily Ekipa.

    "If it is played, then they will almost certainly win it – theoretically they have not reached the guaranteed level, but it is practically close.

    "However, if it could not be played, it would also be necessary to announce the results in some way … and then the champions should be determined. And of course again I don't see a scenario that would not be Liverpool.

    "I understand that fans will be disappointed if it happens in an empty stadium or even at a green table, but I believe they will win the title in one way or another."

    However, Ceferin insisted the plan was still for leagues around the world to be completed.

    "I just spoke hypothetically," he said. "We are also preparing for such scenarios, but we are not dealing with the details for now.

    "At this point, we are fully committed to completing the competition."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.