EPL

Conte welcomes Ibrahimovic back and recounts attempt to lure him to Chelsea

By Sports Desk January 10, 2020

Inter coach Antonio Conte has welcomed Zlatan Ibrahimovic back to Serie A following his move to rivals Milan and recounted attempting to take him to Chelsea.

Ibrahimovic, 38, became a free agent after his contract with LA Galaxy expired at the end of the 2019 MLS season and a return to Italy always looked his most likely next step.

Napoli and Bologna were both linked with the Swede, but he ultimately opted for Milan, whom he previously spent two years with – the first on loan from Barcelona – until 2012.

Ibrahimovic made his second comeback from the bench in Monday's clash with Sampdoria but was unable to inspire Stefano Pioli's men to victory, as they were held to a goalless draw at San Siro.

Conte expects the former Manchester United, Barca, Inter and Paris Saint-Germain striker to make a big impact at Milan, however, and lauded the personality of the man he tried to lure to Stamford Bridge.

“First of all, I want to say welcome back Ibra," Conte told reporters ahead of Saturday's Serie A clash with Atalanta.

"He is a great champion. I tried to get him when I was at Chelsea. I have a lot of respect for him, he has lots of personality after having a tough upbringing - he is a great player.

"I think he can give Milan a lot. His personality will help Milan, he will help the others grow. I think it is important for coaches to have players who lead the way, players who know what you want and lead the team.

"I think this is vital for a coach to have in a team. When a coach has those players then things are a lot easier."

Inter have been strongly linked with several players in the transfer window after such an impressive first half of the season.

Christian Eriksen, Arturo Vidal and Ashley Young are all said to be key targets, though Conte was not forthcoming regarding potential new arrivals.

"I have said in the past that I will not talk about it," he said. "It is pointless asking me these questions.

"I don't want to be rude, but I will not talk about the transfer market. That is something for the club, not me.

"The January transfer window is always a bit peculiar. One must also be smart and understand that there can be many voices [publications].

"The right weight must be given, but for us coaches it is a difficult month to handle certain situations.

"Sometimes untrue news comes out and you find yourself having to prepare a game while untrue rumours come out, but football is also this, you have to face this and be smart."

Related items

  • Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result

    Juventus could have Cristiano Ronaldo available for Sunday's Serie A clash with Spezia after the club announced he has recovered from COVID-19.

    The Portugal forward had been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty in early October. 

    Ronaldo has not played for Juve since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September, and this week missed a reunion with Barcelona adversary Lionel Messi in the Champions League. 

    A statement from Juventus said: "Cristiano Ronaldo carried out the check with a diagnostic test (swab) for COVID-19. 

    "The examination gave a negative result. The player is therefore cured after 19 days and is no longer subjected to home isolation."

  • England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78 England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78

    England World Cup winner and former Manchester United player Nobby Stiles has died at the age of 78.

    Stiles' family confirmed that the one-time midfielder passed away peacefully on Friday after a long illness.

    Manchester-born Stiles earned 28 caps for England and was a big part of the squad that won the World Cup in 1966.

    Two years later, he was part of the United side that became the first English club to win the European Cup.

    He made almost 400 appearances for United in all competitions across an 11-year spell at Old Trafford and went on to play for Middlesbrough and Preston North End, before hanging up his boots in 1975.

    A statement from United read: "We are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles MBE.

    "An integral part of our first-ever European Cup-winning side, Nobby was a titan of the club's history, cherished for his heart and personality on and off the pitch. He will be sorely missed by us all."

    The England national team Twitter account posted: "We're incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles, a key member of our World Cup-winning squad, at the age of 78. All of our thoughts are with Nobby's loved ones."

    Former England striker Gary Lineker was also among those to pay tribute to Stiles on social media, tweeting: "Saddened to hear that Nobby Stiles has passed away.

    "Another of our 1966 World Cup winning heroes leaves us. He had a heart that was even bigger than the gap in his teeth. RIP Nobby."

  • Simeone: I am clear about what I want from Joao Felix Simeone: I am clear about what I want from Joao Felix

    Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is confident Joao Felix will continue to improve his all-round game as he backed the young forward to thrive in a more reserved position.

    The Portugal international scored twice in an impressive display to rescue his side a 3-2 win against Salzburg in Tuesday's Champions League clash.

    At 20 years and 352 days, he became the second-youngest player to score a brace for Atletico in the Champions League after Sergio Aguero (20 years, 106 days) against PSV in September 2008.

    He has started five games for Atleti in all competitions this term and been used just off main striker Luis Suarez in each of them, scoring three times in total.

    The ex-Benfica attacker is averaging 4.94 touches of the ball in the opposition box in LaLiga this term, which is behind only Suarez (6.49) and Yannick Carrasco (5.41) among Atletico players.

    Some have questioned whether Simeone's system can get the best out of the young talent, suggesting he needs greater freedom to thrive, but the Atleti head coach insists it is always about putting the team first.

    "I'm not going to talk about the opinions of players or others," Simeone said at a pre-match news conference ahead of Saturday's LaLiga trip to Osasuna.

    "Everyone has an opinion and I am very respectful to others. I have made it clear what we need from Joao. There is room for his game to grow.

    "He played a very good game against Granada and Huesca, against Villarreal and in the last minutes versus Celta Vigo, plus two games for Portugal.

    "We talked the other day and I have no problems responding to questions about Joao - I will continue to do so.

    "But I don't understand what it means by more freedom. Freedom is not about playing anywhere you want. Important players always give for the team, regardless of the position."

    Atleti have conceded six goals in their past three matches, four of those coming in a heavy loss away to Bayern Munich, and Simeone acknowledges his side need to tighten up.

    "I don't want to talk about individual situations in defence," he said. "But collectively, when we work hard as a team, the whole side benefits.

    "We have to improve because our strength has always been having a strong defence, but at the same time we are growing in other aspects. It is about finding the right balance."

    Atletico are seeking a fifth league win in a row against Osasuna without conceding and Simeone is happy with his side's overall start to the campaign.

    "Things have been good so far," he said. "We need to continue with the same regularity now. We face a tough opponent next, but we will take the game to them and try to hurt them."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.