Amor plays down Valverde sacking talk

By Sports Desk January 09, 2020

Guillermo Amor played down suggestions Ernesto Valverde was close to being sacked after Barcelona's Supercopa de Espana loss to Atletico Madrid.

Barca conceded twice in the final nine minutes in a 3-2 semi-final defeat to Atletico in Saudi Arabia on Thursday.

While they are top of LaLiga, Barca have won just one of their past five games, a period which has included three draws to reportedly put the pressure on Valverde once more.

However, Amor – the club's director of institutional and sporting relations – played down talk Valverde was close to being sacked.

"It has bothered us a lot to lose. We continue, this is very long," he told Movistar+.

"There are many and very important [games]. Of this you say about Valverde, there is nothing."

After Koke's 46th-minute opener, Barca led thanks to goals from Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann.

However, Alvaro Morata's penalty brought Atletico level before Angel Correa scored the winner four minutes from the end.

Amor lamented the result, with Messi and Gerard Pique both having goals disallowed by VAR for marginal offside decisions.

"When you have played football, you know that these things can happen, especially in important games with strong teams," he said.

"What you think is won, you can lose. In the summary of the game, I think we have dominated the first half.

"They advance and the two goals that were annulled indicate that we were close and we were superior."

Related items

  • Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund

    Jadon Sancho says he "loves" playing with Borussia Dortmund's current crop of players after his side cruised to a convincing 6-0 friendly win over Rheindorf Altach on Wednesday.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc declared earlier this week that Manchester United target Sancho will remain at the German club for the 2020-21 campaign.

    England international Sancho, 20, is part of BVB's training camp in Switzerland and played 45 minutes against Austrian side Altach in their opening pre-season friendly.

    Lucien Favre fielded plenty of fresh faces at Stadion Schnabelholz and Sancho, into his fourth season at senior level, enjoyed playing with the next generation of young talent. 

    "I love playing with this lot," he told BVB-TV. "It is a special bunch. We've got some special young players coming up. I am really happy to share the pitch with them and guide them.

    "I was once in their shoes, playing with the seniors. I am happy for them."

    Fellow Englishman Jude Bellingham made his first appearance for Dortmund since joining from Birmingham City.

    The €25million signing set up goals for Gio Reyna and Erling Haaland and was pleased with his introduction to life with the German giants.

    "I loved every minute of it. It was a great first few minutes with the guys on the pitch," he said. "I really enjoyed it. The guys are so good, they made it easy for me. 

    "They played very well, even though it was the first game after the break. I am very happy to be part of this team."

    Haaland also registered a penalty while fellow senior pros Thorgan Hazard, Emre Can and Julian Brandt were on target in the final 15 minutes.

    But it was Bellingham who was singled out for special praise by Favre after his impressive debut display.

    "Jude Bellingham was good. He has to play in front of the defence," he said. "It's not easy when you're 17. He was involved in almost all of the goals. 

    "He moved forward at the right moments. This is important. He feels when he has to leave his position and has done well. 

    "It's important that we have midfielders who can speed up the game and make the final pass."

  • Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid

    Southampton have completed the signing of centre-back Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid for a reported £10.9million (€12m).

    The 21-year-old, who made 32 appearances for Valladolid in all competitions in 2019-20, has signed a four-year deal at St Mary's Stadium.

    Salisu is Southampton's second signing of the close season following the arrival of Kyle Walker-Peters from Tottenham on Tuesday.

    Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid were all linked with the highly rated defender, but he is pleased to have joined Ralph Hasenhuttl's side.

    "It is a very good feeling to be a Southampton player. I am very happy to be part of the club and I am looking forward to starting here," Salisu said in a Southampton statement.

    "Southampton is a club with a very rich history in developing young players, so it is a very good club for me to develop my skills and to learn a lot as a young player.

    "I know that the team expects a lot from me and I'm going to try to give all I can to help the team."

    Southampton finished 11th in the Premier League last season and are looking to rebuild, having also sold midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg to Tottenham for £20m.

    Hasenhuttl is pleased with his latest capture and is expecting Salisu to slot straight into the side. 

    "This is an important signing for us, Mohammed is a player who fits our profile well," the Austrian said.

    "He is young and has a great amount of potential, but he is also someone who has the qualities to come in and help the team as soon as he is up to speed with our way of playing.

    "I like what I have seen of him so far in his games with Valladolid. He is strong defensively, is calm with the ball - something that is important in our team - and he has good speed too.

    "I think he will fit in well with us and that this will be a good place for him to develop his game further. We have some good centre-backs here and this will be another strong option for us."

  • Griezmann: Barcelona will reach Champions League final... I've even packed my PlayStation Griezmann: Barcelona will reach Champions League final... I've even packed my PlayStation

    Antoine Griezmann is expecting Barcelona to make it all the way to the Champions League final on August 23 and quipped he has even packed his PlayStation for his stay in Lisbon.

    Barca saw off Napoli 3-1 in Saturday's last-16 second leg to advance 4-2 on aggregate and set up a meeting with much-fancied Bayern Munich at the Estadio da Luz on Friday.

    Bayern have won 26 and drawn one of their last 27 competitive matches and are the favourites of many to win Europe's premier club competition but Griezmann says Barca are ready to knock the Bavarian giants out.

    "I have the suitcase ready to be in Lisbon until August 23 - I have even brought the PlayStation," he told the club's official website.

    "We have three games left to win the Champions League but we have the tools to achieve it.  Every team has the potential to win a single match.

    "We are looking forward to it, we have worked well tactically and we are ready to play the game. 

    "We know it will be difficult, but we know what we have to do to qualify for the semi-finals. It will be a very good match.

    "We hope to take advantage of the quality we have. We are in a good moment and we can play a good game.

    "We have to be together, up front and at the back, and try to have the ball as much as possible."

    Prolific Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski either scored or assisted all seven of his side's goals in their 7-1 aggregate victory over Chelsea in the first knockout round.

    Griezmann acknowledged it will be tough to stop the Poland international and is well aware of the other attacking talents in the German champions' ranks.

    "Bayern are playing very well, they have a great striker, but we also have the tools to play a great game. We have to look at our strengths and try to qualify," he said.

    "They're a very physical team that's used to having the ball. We have to make life difficult for them and play our game.

    "Bayern are not just Lewandowski. The wingers get forward a lot, [Thomas] Muller, [Serge] Gnabry are also very good. 

    "Lewandowski scores a lot of goals but the danger comes from anywhere."

    Barca have disappointed domestically this season, finishing second to bitter rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga after being knocked out of the Copa del Rey at the quarter-final stage.

    However, the fit-again Griezmann - who lasted 84 minutes against Napoli - is adamant his side have showed signs of progress ahead of their showdown with Bayern.

    "On a personal level it was good for me to have a few days to be able to recover and play against Napoli," he said.

    "In the first minutes of the Napoli game I had no rhythm but little by little I felt better. The team really wanted to play a great game, and we are on the right track."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.