Valverde admits Supercopa blow will fuel talk about his Barcelona future

By Sports Desk January 09, 2020

Ernesto Valverde admitted his future would come in for fresh scrutiny after Barcelona's dramatic defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana semi-final.

Goals from Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann looked set to send Barcelona into the final, as they recovered from conceding a Koke strike in the opening 20 seconds of the second half.

But Barcelona folded in the closing 10 minutes, and a penalty from Alvaro Morata was followed by a winner from Angel Correa as Atletico, second best for almost all of the match up to then, snatched a remarkable win.

It left Diego Simeone, Atletico's hard-taskmaster coach, jumping for joy on the touchline, while Valverde was left to reflect on a damaging defeat.

He has been repairing a reputation that took a battering with Barcelona's 4-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield in the Champions League semi-finals last term, when the Reds overturned a 3-0 first-leg deficit.

But this meek surrender will not help, and Valverde said afterwards, when asked about his position: "We know what football is like and there is always instability when you lose. We will talk about this, it is inevitable.

"But I'll do my thing, which is coaching."

He added: "Of course, it was a match which we dominated. It seemed we had it in hand. It was a complete performance except in specific moments"

Valverde said Atletico throwing their quickest players forward in the closing stages "surprised" Barcelona.

"I don't think it was an accumulation of situations, but two actions that cost us dearly," he said.

He said it had been an "intense" match and that Barcelona's two disallowed goals in the second half, both after VAR reviews, had given Atletico the lifeline upon which they capitalised.

Simeone sent on Marcos Llorente for the final 18 minutes and felt he made a difference in midfield.

"From there the team looked better. It seemed that if we equalised we would win," Simeone said.

"With the best teams like Barca, Madrid, [Manchester] City ... they are on a higher level and we have to be patient. We have to play a final now."

Related items

  • Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund

    Jadon Sancho says he "loves" playing with Borussia Dortmund's current crop of players after his side cruised to a convincing 6-0 friendly win over Rheindorf Altach on Wednesday.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc declared earlier this week that Manchester United target Sancho will remain at the German club for the 2020-21 campaign.

    England international Sancho, 20, is part of BVB's training camp in Switzerland and played 45 minutes against Austrian side Altach in their opening pre-season friendly.

    Lucien Favre fielded plenty of fresh faces at Stadion Schnabelholz and Sancho, into his fourth season at senior level, enjoyed playing with the next generation of young talent. 

    "I love playing with this lot," he told BVB-TV. "It is a special bunch. We've got some special young players coming up. I am really happy to share the pitch with them and guide them.

    "I was once in their shoes, playing with the seniors. I am happy for them."

    Fellow Englishman Jude Bellingham made his first appearance for Dortmund since joining from Birmingham City.

    The €25million signing set up goals for Gio Reyna and Erling Haaland and was pleased with his introduction to life with the German giants.

    "I loved every minute of it. It was a great first few minutes with the guys on the pitch," he said. "I really enjoyed it. The guys are so good, they made it easy for me. 

    "They played very well, even though it was the first game after the break. I am very happy to be part of this team."

    Haaland also registered a penalty while fellow senior pros Thorgan Hazard, Emre Can and Julian Brandt were on target in the final 15 minutes.

    But it was Bellingham who was singled out for special praise by Favre after his impressive debut display.

    "Jude Bellingham was good. He has to play in front of the defence," he said. "It's not easy when you're 17. He was involved in almost all of the goals. 

    "He moved forward at the right moments. This is important. He feels when he has to leave his position and has done well. 

    "It's important that we have midfielders who can speed up the game and make the final pass."

  • Simeone: Liverpool victory counts for nothing against RB Leipzig Simeone: Liverpool victory counts for nothing against RB Leipzig

    Diego Simeone says Atletico Madrid's famous victory over Liverpool will count for nothing when they face RB Leipzig for a place in the Champions League semi-finals.

    The Spanish side knocked out the holders with a 4-2 aggregate victory after extra-time in the last round and have been handed a favourable tie against last-eight debutants Leipzig.

    However, five months have passed since the second-leg triumph at Anfield and Simeone insists that match will have little relevance on what happens in Lisbon on Thursday.

    "That win is not a reference. Many months have gone and the enthusiasm died down during our time in quarantine," he said at a news conference on Wednesday.

    "The Liverpool game will remain a part of our history and was very important for Atletico de Madrid, but it was very long ago and another path begins tomorrow."

    Leipzig, led by impressive young coach Julian Nagelsmann, finished third in the Bundesliga this term and saw off Tottenham 4-0 in the last 16 of the Champions League.

    Nagelsmann said on Tuesday he is eager to avoid a touchline confrontation with fiery Simeone but the Atleti boss chose not to directly reply to those comments.

    "I do not respond to opinions of colleagues. I have nothing to comment," he said. "Tomorrow we play a very important game, against a young coach who is doing a fantastic job.

    "They play very well and try to get the ball forward. They're a great team and the numbers show it. They finished third in Germany and have won the same number of games as us.

    "I have a lot of respect for them and know that it winning is not just important but the only thing that there is."

    Influential attacker Angel Correa and Sime Vrsaljko are not part of Atleti's squad for the one-legged tie with Leipzig after returning positive coronavirus tests.

    But while Simeone is ruing the loss of a couple of players, he has his eyes firmly set on a third final appearance in six years with Atletico.

    "Angel is important to us and being without Sime, who has fought hard to be back, also hurts,"  he said.

    "We have lost two very important men from the heart of the squad, but we hope to have them later and we have to move on. We have to adapt to the circumstances."

  • Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid Southampton sign defender Salisu from Real Valladolid

    Southampton have completed the signing of centre-back Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid for a reported £10.9million (€12m).

    The 21-year-old, who made 32 appearances for Valladolid in all competitions in 2019-20, has signed a four-year deal at St Mary's Stadium.

    Salisu is Southampton's second signing of the close season following the arrival of Kyle Walker-Peters from Tottenham on Tuesday.

    Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid were all linked with the highly rated defender, but he is pleased to have joined Ralph Hasenhuttl's side.

    "It is a very good feeling to be a Southampton player. I am very happy to be part of the club and I am looking forward to starting here," Salisu said in a Southampton statement.

    "Southampton is a club with a very rich history in developing young players, so it is a very good club for me to develop my skills and to learn a lot as a young player.

    "I know that the team expects a lot from me and I'm going to try to give all I can to help the team."

    Southampton finished 11th in the Premier League last season and are looking to rebuild, having also sold midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg to Tottenham for £20m.

    Hasenhuttl is pleased with his latest capture and is expecting Salisu to slot straight into the side. 

    "This is an important signing for us, Mohammed is a player who fits our profile well," the Austrian said.

    "He is young and has a great amount of potential, but he is also someone who has the qualities to come in and help the team as soon as he is up to speed with our way of playing.

    "I like what I have seen of him so far in his games with Valladolid. He is strong defensively, is calm with the ball - something that is important in our team - and he has good speed too.

    "I think he will fit in well with us and that this will be a good place for him to develop his game further. We have some good centre-backs here and this will be another strong option for us."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.