Valverde prefers previous format of Supercopa

By Sports Desk January 08, 2020

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde is yet to be convinced by the changes made to the Supercopa de Espana, conceding he prefers the previous format.

The Supercopa de Espana was traditionally a two-legged affair played between the winners of LaLiga and the Copa del Rey at the beginning of the season, but following last term's one-off meeting between Barca and Sevilla in Tangier, Morocco, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) went ahead with a full revamp.

Instead of just two teams being involved, the Supercopa has been expanded to also include the runners-up from LaLiga and the Copa – meaning Barca and Valencia are joined by Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. It is also set to be hosted in Saudi Arabia for the next three editions.

Many have criticised RFEF's decision to take the competition to Saudi Arabia and Valverde suggested he favours the old format.

"It is a different format than we are used to," Valverde said ahead of Barca's semi-final against Atletico on Thursday.

"It's a final match and we approach it as a league game, knowing that we are looking for victory and we know how difficult it is to play against Atleti.

"We already saw it in the league, which we solved in the end. If they [the authorities] give me a choice, I prefer the previous format.

"It has always been the first title of the season, the game that opens the season, and I thought it was good. The Supercopa format has been changed and we will see how it is.

"We must bear in mind that the football we are involved in is an industry, sources of income are sought and in the same way that there are special connotations in this country, there are also in Morocco, where we played last year."

Barca's preparations for Thursday's match have not gone particularly well, however, as Wednesday's news conference was delayed significantly after their team bus got lost in Jeddah.

Valverde was due to speak at Al-Ittihad Sport City, but their driver set off for the King Abdullah Sports City Stadium, where the two semi-finals – the first of which is set for Wednesday – will take place.

Their bus then became lost in traffic between the two venues, which are approximately 40 miles apart.

Related items

  • Milan 3-3 Roma: Ibrahimovic on target twice but Rossoneri held in thriller Milan 3-3 Roma: Ibrahimovic on target twice but Rossoneri held in thriller

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored twice but Milan's perfect start to season was ended by Roma after a thrilling 3-3 San Siro draw on Monday.

    Ibrahimovic put Milan ahead early on with deft finish from close range but Edin Dzeko equalised shortly afterwards with a header.

    Alexis Saelemaekers edged Milan in front again with a composed finish only for Jordan Veretout to draw Roma level from the penalty spot.

    Ibrahimovic netted a penalty of his own 11 minutes from time, but Milan were denied a fifth consecutive victory when Marash Kumbulla volleyed in a dramatic late equaliser.

     

     

  • Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2 Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is not yet stepping down but says there are plans in place for a vote of no confidence to be held on November 1-2.

    A motion against the incumbent president passed the threshold of 16,250 member votes on October 8, forcing the club's board to set a date for the vote to take place.

    Bartomeu and the board met at the Camp Nou offices on Monday and it had been reported the president could resign immediately due to uncertainty around the manner in which the referendum can be held amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Spain recently declared a new state of emergency due to the increase in new COVID-19 cases across the country, which has recorded more than 1.15million infections.

    Bartomeu says the board are awaiting a decision from Barcelona's regional government to determine whether it will be safe to hold the no-confidence vote at Camp Nou this weekend, with their proposal for an additional delay having been denied.

    "We put adequate mechanisms in place for the vote of no confidence, proposing November 1 and 2 in 13 locations in Catalonia," he told reporters on Monday.

    "Last Thursday, our request to have 15 days to make the vote as universal as possible was not respected. The Generalitat [the government of Catalonia] did not accept to do it on November 15 and 16 in a decentralised way.

    "[On Sunday], the prime minister [Pedro Sanchez] decreed a state of alarm and a curfew, establishing meetings of a maximum of six people, and Catalonia decreed a night-time curfew. We sent a letter to the Generalitat asking how we could guarantee the vote of members of over 65 and how we could guarantee the health of the 300 workers.

    "We know that we live in serious situations that require exceptional measures; they are incompatible with partisan positions. We have decided that we will meet again when we have the answers.

    "Regarding the vote of no confidence, we are waiting for a response from the Generalitat to know if the health situation is maintained so the vote can be held on November 1 and 2.

    "We have always wanted a decentralised vote, in various venues so that as many members as possible vote, so we asked for 15 more days, but last Thursday we were told that it would be November 1 and 2. We don't have time and if the vote is centralised at Camp Nou on November 1 and 2, it will have to be done with an adequate health protocol."

  • TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee

    Richard Ferguson, Chairman of Sunday’s Extraordinary General Meeting of the delegates of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has written to Robert Hadad of the FIFA-appointed Normalization Committee stating that they will comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA and that they will cease all legal action against the sport’s governing body.

    The move effectively brings to an end the seven-month long dispute between the association and FIFA, who in March 2020, dissolved the TTFA’s administration four months after it was duly elected in November 2019.

    FIFA cited weak financial controls and systems that plagued the heavily indebted association. However, the matter led to a month's long dispute that went before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice and eventually before the Trinidad and Tobago Appeals Court, who ruled in favour of FIFA late last week.

    Today’s letter follows on the heels of resolutions that were overwhelmingly accepted during Sunday’s EGM and from which former TTFA President William Wallace and members of his executive withdrew.

    It states that the TTFA has decided to “comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA, recognizing the legitimacy of the FIFA- appointed Normalization Committee” and to bring its own statutes in line with the FIFA statutes.

    They have also resolved to fully cooperate with the Normalization Committee in the fulfillment of its mandate as stated in FIFA's letter of March 17th, 2020 and critically, that all court matters existing between the TTFA and FIFA shall be immediately brought to a stop."

    Ferguson also stated that the “TTFA must advise that its members have agreed to abide with the conditions of the Normalisation Committee and will co-operate fully to ensure that the mandate of the Committee is realized.”

    He also apologized to Hadad and members of the Normalization Committee, FIFA, CONCACAF and CFU “for any embarrassment and inconvenience caused by TTFA representatives over the last year.”

    “I also hope that a strong positive relationship can be re-established as we move forward for the betterment of football in Trinidad and Tobago.”

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.